Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Hello

I bought the Retina MBP when they 1st came out. Since the beginning, I have noticed some odd things with the Mac.

I notice sometimes as I'm working on mac the machine will all a sudden goto a bright white screen and take me back to a login screen. Sometimes screen goes black an I will have to manually power off by holding down power button.

I also have noticed my mac will just lock up once in a whole requiring me to power cycle using the power button.

I'm trying to hone down the problem. I'm thinking it is hardware but can't say what it is. I've got all firmware updates. I was gonna restore the mac but have lots of crap and don't want to waste a whole day if its not an os issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Run Apple Hardware test.

Make a new User Account and log into that one, see if you have the same issues there, if not there are problems from within your normal User Account.

I always have a clean OS at hand on a second partition, if there are problems with the OS you could start from the clean OS and look if it's also has issues, if so something else is amiss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.