Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leonb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I configured my Gmail account as an Exchange account on my iPhone 5's Mail app in order to use push rather than fetch. Two problems:

1. There are too many unnecessary folders ([Gmail], etc) and I can't get rid of them, so the screen is unpleasantly cluttered with useless rubbish.

2. When I delete an email it's archived.

I've been searching for solutions for hours now. Both issues have been raised before - I couldn't find a solution for no.1, and no.2 is supposedly resolved, though this doesn't work for me (when I go m.google.com/sync on my phone's Safari browser I do not get the options others seem to - there's no way to select my iPhone, and no box to tick/untick relating to deleting/archiving).

I would be very grateful if someone could help me out here, as this is driving me mad!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm trying to figure this out today, also. I just got an iPhone 5.

I have three folders under [Gmail] in iOS mail and that would seem to be the minimum. Nothing I know of can get rid of those.

Google has eliminated support for ActiveSync in free accounts on new iOS devices. Supposed to end January 30, but as you and I have discovered the old method of visiting m.google.com/sync isn't valid anymore, so it would seem the change is effective as of now...for "delete" instead of "archive".

Even moving the message directly to the trash bin results in the message being moved to "All Mail".

I have created a label/folder at Gmail called "[Gmail]/*Garbage" that now appears at the top under "[Gmail]" and I'm dumping my trash into that on the iPhone. I can empty that folder later at the Gmail website or in my computer's email client. At least it's not getting mixed up in the "All Mail" folder.

Delete works correctly in the Gmail App, but unfortunately there's no unified inbox in the Gmail App. I'd probably use it if there were.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
If I may gently suggest using the GMail app, you may find it better. I never liked using Gmail in the mail app on my iPads, but the Google native app is fine.

leonb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Beachguy, not really keen on the Gmail app, because it isn't perfectly integrated with iOS - for example, forwarding ("sharing") something directly by email opens the native Mail app. Also, as Apple doesn't allow you to delete core apps, I would have two mail apps hogging precious screen estate.

Seems like Gmail went out of its way to bully people onto their recently refreshed app.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Beachguy, not really keen on the Gmail app, because it isn't perfectly integrated with iOS - for example, forwarding ("sharing") something directly by email opens the native Mail app. Also, as Apple doesn't allow you to delete core apps, I would have two mail apps hogging precious screen estate.

Seems like Gmail went out of its way to bully people onto their recently refreshed app.

gmail app is way better than the garbage stock app. too bad apple doesnt let anyone change default clients. same with the crap that is safari.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Since Google announced it would be dropping Exchange support soon, I simply stopped using my gmail account. I set up all email to be forwarded to my icloud.com email and now use a single account in my Mail app. Works with Push perfectly, and I can set up a rule to filter my gmail if I want to.

Only google could have pried my loved gmail from me. But removing the ability to do Push is a dealbreaker.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland

You may be right about the bullying. As far as "precious screen estate" goes I hope you're kidding!

If Gmail adds a unified Inbox I'll start using it. Hopefully they'll add a few more notification sounds to choose from, too. i'd leave my accounts in the stock app, also, because of the integration you mentioned.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
not really keen on the Gmail app, because it isn't perfectly integrated with iOS - for example, forwarding ("sharing") something directly by email opens the native Mail app.

That's why the verge wrote this article (read part 1) http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/5/3732364/best-way-gmail-google-calendar-iphone-how-to

Or if you don't want to read: basically use the Gmail app from Google cuz its better, but set up Gmail in the default apple mail app for sending purpose only

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

Use native Gmail app.. configure "manual" IMAP account in stock mail just for "sharing" integration.. hide stock mail app into a folder.. Problem solved.

N076

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for this - it works!

Only remaining problem is how to get rid of those unnecessary folders, but I have a feeling that may not be possible.

Did you ever figure out how to remove those unnecessary folders in the iOS Mail app?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.