Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:40 AM   #1
$MacUser$
macrumors 6502

Upgrade to iPad 3 or 4?

So I've been on an iPad 1 since launch. The paltry amount of RAM was an issue from the start, but one I've learned to deal with (more or less).

I'm now at the point where I'm putting serious thought into an upgrade. With tax I'm looking at about a $130 premium for a new 4 vs a refurb 3 (which I consider new equivalent for all intents and purposes).

So is the 4 worth it? I've heard the A6x called revolutionary and super fast while the A5x is more or less a glorified iPad 2 chip, yet the practical/real world speed tests I've seen show a minor speed difference between the two. And it seems my issues with the iPad 1 weren't really CPU related but rather memory related. Both the 3 and 4 have four times the RAM so this is a non-issue.

I guess I'm wondering if the extra hundred+ will be worth it for future proofing, or if I should just go with the 3 knowing I'll probably upgrade in two or three years anyway? If it makes any difference about 99% of what I do on the iPad involves web browsing, reading and watching movies on HBO/Netflix. I game on PS3 and PC but never really got into it on iPad outside simple stuff like Angry Birds and the like.

I'm leaning toward the 3 but I have a nagging concern the performance gap between the two might widen considerably with iOS updates on the horizon.

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:47 AM   #2
cardfan
macrumors regular

I bought an ipad 3 at refurb price at Best Buy (check out stock online). You won't tell the difference with processor between this and the 4 no matter the benchmarks you see. The screen is the reason you get either one of them.

Plus, all my accessories from previous ipads work. I've saved over a couple hundred not having to rebuy these.

Ipad 3 is easily the better value.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:55 AM   #3
clyde2801
macrumors 601

If you're going to upgrade in 2-3 years and are just doing basic stuff, you'll probably be fine with the 3. Keep in mind they're still selling the iP2 and the iPad mini, which contains the same internals, so it's unlikely they'll ship an iOS upgrade that will orphan millions of machines they've just sold so soon.

Unless you're doing pretty intensive stuff, the only time you'll tell a truly discernible difference is loading stuff onto the machine. Otherwise, meh. When they introduced the 4, I'm sure 'processor is twice as fast (in synthetic benchmarks)' looked a lot better on the keynote slide than 'web pages load 1/2 second faster'. I also agree with the previous poster's observation about the screen being the primary reason to buy either one.

If you think you'll be upgrading in another year or two, get the lowest specced model you can get reasonably use; the higher the specs, the more of a loss you'll take when selling it.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:12 AM   #4
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Well, we're now three generations further and only now you believe you should upgrade. The next time you'll consider upgrading is when the iPad 6 or iPad 7 is out.

My advice: if you intend to keep the device for several years, get the iPad 4. It's GPU is twice as powerful as the one in the iPad 3. The CPU is twice as powerful, and the iPad 4 is likely to get an extra year of iOS software updates. You're already stuck at iOS 5 with the iPad 1. Imagine next year, that you'll be stuck with iOS 7 on the iPad 3...

Also, all that powerful hardware will ensure you that the software will continue running smooth.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:20 AM   #5
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

It depends on your cash flow, but I figure for roughly only $130 more your going to get better performance, resale value and as previously mentioned an easier transition with future software upgrades.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Dstopsie
macrumors 6502

I would get the iPad 4. I had the iPad 3 and I always thought from the time that i got it it was underpowered. it had trouble loading webpages and I was able to load the same exact page at the same exact time on my iPhone 5 versus my iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 beat it every time. It was very frustrating. I sold my iPad 3 and purchased the iPad 4 and found that the increase in efficiency in the processor was well worth it. Plus the iPad 4 has better cameras has a better Wi-Fi connection has more speed in terms of processor and I found that actually the battery life is better in the iPad 4
Dstopsie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:34 AM   #7
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleWarMachine View Post
It depends on your cash flow, but I figure for roughly only $130 more your going to get better performance, resale value and as previously mentioned an easier transition with future software upgrades.
It has nothing to with cash flow..if that's a factor, he has no business upgrading. Resale? His cost is much lower so that means squat. You can barely see a difference in performance now. It's the same hardware as the 4 besides a more limited connector, slight processor bump, and slight front camera bump. Future iOS updates will apply to either one equally.

Never buy based on some future you're not sure about.
cardfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Dstopsie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
It has nothing to with cash flow..if that's a factor, he has no business upgrading. Resale? His cost is much lower so that means squat. You can barely see a difference in performance now. It's the same hardware as the 4 besides a more limited connector, slight processor bump, and slight front camera bump. Future iOS updates will apply to either one equally.

Never buy based on some future you're not sure about.
You failed to mention the improvement in the Wi-Fi iPad 4 because it connects to both the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi networks and the iPad 3 does not
Dstopsie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:52 AM   #9
OldRhodie
macrumors member

IMO go for the 4. Fast processor, better wifi & lightning connector
OldRhodie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:20 AM   #10
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

I saw very little "real world" difference in performance between the iPad 3 & iPad 4. The major upgrades over the iPad 1 which you have currently are the Retina Display, LTE connectivity (if you need cellular capability), and the large bump in RAM. Both of the recent iPads have those features, so either would make a good choice.

The only good reason I'd see to buy an iPad 4 over the 3 would be the probability of receiving future iOS updates. Has the lack of newer firmware been an issue thus far with your iPad 1?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:23 PM   #11
$MacUser$
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.dstasio View Post
Has the lack of newer firmware been an issue thus far with your iPad 1?
No, from where I'm sitting it's primarily been the RAM bottleneck impacting everyday tasks. Truth be told I was ready to upgrade about a month after buying the iPad 1 but of course that was both impossible due to lack of a new model and impractical due to the amount of money spent. By the time 2 came out I'd adjusted to the 1st gen's shortcomings enough to tolerate it until some future update (512 still wan't enough for me to justify an upgrade).

I'd like to think by now current generations (3, 4) aren't as arbitrarily limited as the original. Even still and truth be told, I'm not terribly unhappy with the iPad 1 to this day, but after getting some extended time with a Nexus 7 (a "cheaper" tablet in every sense of the word) I now know what I'm missing and know it's time for an upgrade.

The choice between the two isn't so much a matter of a hundred dollars, it's more a matter of what I need. I could buy an SUV if I wanted to but I don't really need one, ergo I have a cheaper car that better suits my needs.

A final question: iPad one went from iOS 3.2 to 5.whatever. I believe we're still on iOS 5, so I guess it's a safe bet I'll get to iOS7 and at least 2-2.5 years of good service out of the three?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:26 PM   #12
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

If you use accessories, get the 4. If not, get the 3...processor weakness is no big deal with a toy.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:06 PM   #13
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstopsie View Post
You failed to mention the improvement in the Wi-Fi iPad 4 because it connects to both the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi networks and the iPad 3 does not
No, the iPad 2 already supported 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi (although this was not always clear from the specs).
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:23 PM   #14
jlinear
macrumors member

Quote:
The only good reason I'd see to buy an iPad 4 over the 3 would be the probability of receiving future iOS updates. Has the lack of newer firmware been an issue thus far with your iPad 1?
The iPad 3 and iPad 4 are so similar it is hard to believe any iOS update to the 4 wouldn't apply to the 3.
jlinear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

I have a two, and I'm waiting until the five comes out so I can buy a cheap four.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:31 PM   #16
roccobladr
macrumors regular

For what you use it for, the ipad 3 is more than powerful enough. I'd personally get the 4 if I were you just for it's longevity/future proofing and resale value will be better in 2-3 year than the 3 IMO.
roccobladr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:11 PM   #17
radiologyman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstopsie View Post
I would get the iPad 4. I had the iPad 3 and I always thought from the time that i got it it was underpowered. it had trouble loading webpages and I was able to load the same exact page at the same exact time on my iPhone 5 versus my iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 beat it every time. It was very frustrating. I sold my iPad 3 and purchased the iPad 4 and found that the increase in efficiency in the processor was well worth it. Plus the iPad 4 has better cameras has a better Wi-Fi connection has more speed in terms of processor and I found that actually the battery life is better in the iPad 4
This. iPad 4 bump in speed was enough for me to stop using my laptop. iPad 3 was slightly slower than my iPhone 5 and did not feel responsive enough. And As pointed above, it's not really $130 difference since resale value will be higher on iPad 4.
radiologyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:38 PM   #18
aneftp
macrumors 68040

In terms of speed.

iPad 4, iPhone 5,

than

iPad 3 (remember it has 1GB RAM also, same as iPhone 5/iPad 4).

iPad 3 is marginally faster than iPad mini/iPad 2 cause it has to power higher resolution retina screen. So the 1GB ram helps along with better GPU than the iPad 2/mini but speed wise is marginally better.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:41 PM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Well, we're now three generations further and only now you believe you should upgrade. The next time you'll consider upgrading is when the iPad 6 or iPad 7 is out.

My advice: if you intend to keep the device for several years, get the iPad 4. It's GPU is twice as powerful as the one in the iPad 3. The CPU is twice as powerful, and the iPad 4 is likely to get an extra year of iOS software updates. You're already stuck at iOS 5 with the iPad 1. Imagine next year, that you'll be stuck with iOS 7 on the iPad 3...

Also, all that powerful hardware will ensure you that the software will continue running smooth.
I agree, go with the iPad 4.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:18 AM   #20
$MacUser$
macrumors 6502

Alright guys, you convinced me. iPad 4 ordered. I guess I didn't consider the iPad 3's increased hardware specs over gen2 mostly go toward powering the screen. In the near term I'm sure it would've been more than adequate, perhaps maybe for the next few years, but why risk it over a hundred bucks? I'm upgrading from a machine [gen 1] that was inadequate out of the box so I guess it's better safe than sorry. At the absolute very least I don't have to fumble around with that semi-irritating, archaic 30-pin anymore. Well, not on my iPad anyway...

...you guys gonna convince me to upgrade from iPhone 4 to 5 now?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:19 AM   #21
taedouni
macrumors 65816

If you get an iPad 3 it will come with iOS 5.1.1, which is jailbreakable. No one knows when an untethered jailbreak will be released for iOS 6 for devices with A5 or newer chips.

Trust me, having a jailbroken iPad will give you a completely new experience. Tweaks, customization,emulators, ability to connect unsupported BT game controllers, file management, safaris enhancements, and much more.

It's like deciding between a chrome book and an actual computer.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:14 AM   #22
$MacUser$
macrumors 6502

^^Not interested in any of that. The experience is just fine for me as it is. What the iPad cant do my air can.
$MacUser$ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:10 AM   #23
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

Enjoy the iPad 4 (I am)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:24 PM   #24
Signor S.
macrumors member

Personally newer is always better, especially if you can afford it, but unless you are doing really graphically or work related intensive tasks, then you should be perfectly fine with an iPad 3. That's what I have and the difference is barely perceptible in real world tasks.
Signor S. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:21 AM   #25
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Has the lack of newer firmware been an issue thus far with your iPad 1?
I just found out yesterday I couldn't download the new Zite app on my iPad 1 because it required ios 6.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zite...419752338?mt=8
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad