Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:42 AM   #1
yegon
macrumors 68000

Any pitfalls to having all video on an external usb3 drive?

Planning on getting a mini shortly. It'll be used as an iTunes server for my AppleTV amongst many other things. I was thinking I'd use my 2tb usb3 drive and leave it permanently hooked up to the mini to store video content. Any drawbacks to this method? I've decided to go for a 1tb Fusion drive, so this way I'd have plenty of plenty of space on that for files etc that Ill be actively using. Briefly considered just getting a 256 ssd but....naah.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

The only issue I can see is that external drives are automatically excluded from Time Machine backups, so if you want those files backed up just manually remove that drive from the TM exclude list.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
yegon
macrumors 68000

Ta.

I just wondered if it'd cause many hitches mounting/unmounting when I put it to sleep etc. Bar an old Mac Mini which I never used with an external drive, all my macs have been laptops that I've only really connected to external drives for backup purposes etc.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
Ta.

I just wondered if it'd cause many hitches mounting/unmounting when I put it to sleep etc. Bar an old Mac Mini which I never used with an external drive, all my macs have been laptops that I've only really connected to external drives for backup purposes etc.
It will remount when waking from sleep.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini