Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiriya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
[sorry, "does not turn on" without battery; it turns too well]

Hello,
I have the following problem. Many thanks for any help...

I spilled coffee over a MBP 13'' (2010) two days ago. Tried to follow the usual procedure for such cases (turn over the notebook, dry it etc.). Now, the notebook works fine, I am writing this on it (apart from the keyboard which is gone...).

Yet, it does not power up without the battery in. More detailed info:

Press the power button with only the adapter plugged in: nothing happens.

Computer powers up with battery and adapter plugged in, or only with the battery in (in both cases the battery charge should be above zero. Adapter can charge the battery.)

After powering it up and removing the battery, the computer shuts off. (this, I did just to get a sense of the problem)

It does not wake up from hibernate (if the battery is at 0 percentage).

SMC reset did not work.

Magsafe adapter light works fine (green/yellow with battery in. Green without battery).

I wish it could be solved without replacing anything, but probably this is not the case. What is more troubling is that the computer could power up without battery for about a day after the spill...

I was wondering, does this sound like a logicboard or dc-in adapter issue? (The replacement costs of the two differ substantially...)

Thanks

Last edited:

Service Droid

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Aus
There is no way to tell if the logic or the MagSafe board is the cause without testing. With a liquid spill I'd be thinking the logic board but I would need to test with a known good MagSafe board in order to be 100% sure.

On a side note, why do you want to run the machine with the battery removed? If you bump the MagSafe connector the computer instantly shuts off. :confused:

tiriya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Thank you for the info, Service Droid. I will have it checked then...

Sure, I would not want to run the computer without the battery. Just did it once after the SMC reset did not solve the problem based on what read somewhere else (the idea was that if the computer worked fine without the battery after it was powered up, the problem could be on the SMC side... )

I am more concerned about the low battery/ hibernation problem. If the computer hibernates on near-zero battery, it will not wake up. A bit stressful :)

tiriya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks again Service Droid. I just noticed that --probably uniquely-- this forum has a very detailed discussion on SMC issues. I am "moving" to that thread now...

Sorry for a new thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.