Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:03 AM   #1
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

No Alternative Minimum Tax patch could mean higher taxes for most

Are you an individual making more than $48,450 or married and making more than $74,450? If so, and if they don't get this patch in place before the end of the year, your tax burden could go up significantly.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/h...-its-reach.ece
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

If it were up to me, we'd stick Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Boehner and McConnell in a room and not let them out until a deal is done. Maybe throw Biden in to make them all want out that much more.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:28 AM   #3
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
If it were up to me, we'd stick Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Boehner and McConnell in a room and not let them out until a deal is done. Maybe throw Biden in to make them all want out that much more.
What is that going to do?

It's the wingnuts and Boehner that keep backing out, hell even McConnell has made serious efforts.

These people just keep saying NO. It's not the leadership, its the new members that truly think they were elected to sit there and do nothing to make the government look even more dysfunctional.
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:31 AM   #4
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

The longer this charade goes on, the more I think you should just let it happen.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
What is that going to do?

It's the wingnuts and Boehner that keep backing out, hell even McConnell has made serious efforts.

These people just keep saying NO. It's not the leadership, its the new members that truly think they were elected to sit there and do nothing to make the government look even more dysfunctional.
Keep telling yourself that. This notion that Democrats are somehow the white knight in all of these talks is just ridiculous.

The Republicans are dragging their feet, The Democrats are dragging their feet, and the President can't seem to do anything to bridge the gap.

This is a total and complete team failure at this point.
ugahairydawgs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Keep telling yourself that. This notion that Democrats are somehow the white knight in all of these talks is just ridiculous.

The Republicans are dragging their feet, The Democrats are dragging their feet, and the President can't seem to do anything to bridge the gap.

It's pretty damn difficult to bridge the gap when the GOP keeps blowing up the bridge. Sorry, but this IS their fault, and the public seems to agree.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...iff.aspx#page1
leekohler is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:

Even though Plan B isn't really in any way a serious compromise that the GOP couldn't even pass that shows they aren't remotely serious and they should take all the blame.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:09 AM   #8
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
It's pretty damn difficult to bridge the gap when the GOP keeps blowing up the bridge. Sorry, but this IS their fault, and the public seems to agree.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...iff.aspx#page1
I guess I missed the part where the Senate passed their bill to try and resolve this. My mistake.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
I guess I missed the part where the Senate passed their bill to try and resolve this. My mistake.
AFAIK Budget bills have to start from the House.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM   #10
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Even though Plan B isn't really in any way a serious compromise that the GOP couldn't even pass that shows they aren't remotely serious and they should take all the blame.
It didn't matter if they passed it or not. Democrats had already said they wouldn't support it (which is funny since it was Pelosi's idea originally) and the President said he would veto it. Boehner undoubtedly knew all of this going in and did it to try and score some points and ended up getting whacked from both sides. Just a complete waste of time.

Both sides seem to be unwilling to find common ground on taxes and the Democrats don't want to budge on entitlements. Both sides are to blame for this clown show.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
It didn't matter if they passed it or not. Democrats had already said they wouldn't support it (which is funny since it was Pelosi's idea originally) and the President said he would veto it. Boehner undoubtedly knew all of this going in and did it to try and score some points and ended up getting whacked from both sides. Just a complete waste of time.

Both sides seem to be unwilling to find common ground on taxes and the Democrats don't want to budge on entitlements. Both sides are to blame for this clown show.
Fair point on the senate - though they do seem to be trying to make progress. The senate republicans seem to be much more reasonable according to the Hill.

----------

Quote:
It didn't matter if they passed it or not.
It does because it at least shows the Republicans in the house were able to pass something.

The reason the Democrats threatened to veto it is because it wasn't really a serious compromise. $1 million/year tax rise? No defence cuts, but more entitlement cuts instead? Seriously?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:25 AM   #12
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Fair point on the senate - though they do seem to be trying to make progress. The senate republicans seem to be much more reasonable according to the Hill.

----------

It does because it at least shows the Republicans in the house were able to pass something.

The reason the Democrats threatened to veto it is because it wasn't really a serious compromise. $1 million/year tax rise? No defence cuts, but more entitlement cuts instead? Seriously?
Exactly- sorry, this is the GOP's fault almost entirely.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:34 AM   #13
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Exactly- sorry, this is the GOP's fault almost entirely.
I'll bite.....mostly because I'm legitimately curious.

What serious plan has the other side put forward in order to get this mess resolved?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:

What serious plan has the other side put forward in order to get this mess resolved?
The one Obama put forward.

$400k/year is a decent compromise over $250k/year. Chained CPI is a decent compromise on entitlements.

See also this.

Last edited by Eraserhead; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:50 AM   #15
leekohler
Banned

Quote:

You've got to be kidding. See Eraserhead's post above.

No matter what- the GOP will just say no.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 AM   #16
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Pure comedic genius.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #17
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The one Obama put forward.

$400k/year is a decent compromise over $250k/year. Chained CPI is a decent compromise on entitlements.

See also this.
I think the number on tax increases isn't the sticking point anymore. I think everyone knows it needs to go up and that $250k is not where it needs to be. I think we'll get there on the tax increases.

The problem is the spending cuts. Nobody has the guts to tackle anything of significance with SSI and Medicare. Chained CPI was never going to work because the left wasn't going to back it. That whole plan was the equivalent of Obama's "Plan B".
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:24 AM   #18
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
I think the number on tax increases isn't the sticking point anymore. I think everyone knows it needs to go up and that $250k is not where it needs to be. I think we'll get there on the tax increases.
Given the Republicans couldn't pass a bill at a million dollars a year, I don't think that is obvious at all.

Quote:
Chained CPI was never going to work because the left wasn't going to back it.
Where do you get the idea that the left won't back it from? They say they don't like it, but they don't say they will vote against it.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:33 AM   #19
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:

The problem is the spending cuts. Nobody has the guts to tackle anything of significance with SSI and Medicare. Chained CPI was never going to work because the left wasn't going to back it. That whole plan was the equivalent of Obama's "Plan B".
No one in the GOP has the guts to tackle the Defense Budget.....

Welcome to political standoffs 101. Dems won't touch Medicare and SS and the GOP won't touch the Defense Budget.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:41 AM   #20
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Welcome to political standoffs 101. Dems won't touch Medicare and SS and the GOP won't touch the Defense Budget.
Well, except that the Democrats have agreed to SS cuts...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:00 PM   #21
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Therein lies the problem.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:25 PM   #22
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

When the GOP could not even pass their own Plan B threw the house kills your entire argument right there.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:30 PM   #23
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

It's clear the Republicans have been practicing a policy of obstruction for several years now. To say the Democrats aren't partially at fault for this situation we find ourselves in is crazy.

I bet all we get in the next day or two is some small agreement and most of it kicked down the road for the next Congress. Rinse. Repeat.

The fact is, our politicians are more worried about primary challenges and ideology than in governing. Everyone ready for another haircut on your 401K/retirement accounts?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
It's clear the Republicans have been practicing a policy of obstruction for several years now. To say the Democrats aren't partially at fault for this situation we find ourselves in is crazy.
I think the dems fault is they should of called the GOP on their stuff and tow the line. The first mistake was when they held the jobless benefits hostage for Bush tax cuts but that was minor but the by far bigger one is giving in to avoid shutting down the goverment. Simple fact is the GOP got almost everything they wanted out of that and then did the same thing again for the first debt ceiling (which again came down to days)

I vote shut it down and the GOP will take the bulk of the blame over it farther making them weaker and making them weaker in the state houses and senates which would allow districts to be redrawn in better ways than the clear voter suppression the GOP did.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 PM   #25
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Democrats don't want to budge on entitlements.
You just remember one thing. If you've been paying into something your whole life, it is NOT an entitlement. I'm sick of republicans tossing around that word.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues