Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1
mossme89
macrumors 6502

Should I replace my broken iPhone 4 or buy an iPhone 5

My iPhone 4 broke recently, when it got wet. So now I'm trying to decide whether to pay $150 to replace it or to buy a new iPhone for the full price of $750 (I'm a prepaid user.)

My 4 was a great phone and I've had it since the weekend it came out. That being said, it has some annoying issues. Like the home button gets sticky after a while and gets stuck, or the signal loss issue. Even resting the phone in my palm is enough to lose the signal in a weak area. And the phone has started to get a bit laggy with launching apps or moving through the UI in general. As someone who likes to move fast on their phone, this is kind of annoying.

I feel like if I'm putting money into a phone then I might as well just buy a new phone. But $750 is a lot. I mean, I spent that on my iPhone 4 and didn't regret it, but I'm not sure if the 5 is worth it. Siri isn't a big deal to me, and I can't think of any other "killer" features.
mossme89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
My iPhone 4 broke recently, when it got wet. So now I'm trying to decide whether to pay $150 to replace it or to buy a new iPhone for the full price of $750 (I'm a prepaid user.)

My 4 was a great phone and I've had it since the weekend it came out. That being said, it has some annoying issues. Like the home button gets sticky after a while and gets stuck, or the signal loss issue. Even resting the phone in my palm is enough to lose the signal in a weak area. And the phone has started to get a bit laggy with launching apps or moving through the UI in general. As someone who likes to move fast on their phone, this is kind of annoying.

I feel like if I'm putting money into a phone then I might as well just buy a new phone. But $750 is a lot. I mean, I spent that on my iPhone 4 and didn't regret it, but I'm not sure if the 5 is worth it. Siri isn't a big deal to me, and I can't think of any other "killer" features.
With a cost difference of $600, I'd say replace the iPhone 4. It's still a decent phone, and if it can perform everything you want it to, why not?
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

I'll throw another option into the mix...

Buy a iPhone 4S. The extra RAM & faster processor would serve you well compared to the iPhone 4, but without paying a large premium for the iPhone 5. If you are using prepaid (I assume in the US) you aren't going to be taking advantage of LTE, so why pay more for it hardware wise. Pick up a used iPhone 4S on Craigslist or eBay & IMEI unlock it if you need to.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone