Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1
BradOntCa
macrumors newbie

Going from 4th to 5th gen

Hello everyone. I bit the bullet and ordered a 5th gen touch to replace my 4th gen. I'm at my girlfriends for the holidays and just downloaded itunes (not a big fan of the program) I just don't really know how to use it properly. My problem is, I want to put all that's on my ipod 4 on to my new 5 when it arrives next week, I'm not really sure how to do it, I did the sync with my 4th gen and it went kinda fast (I don't think everything got copied over) apps and all, she has vista and I can't find where everything got copied to. Is there a easy way to do this properly? I would really appreciate any help. T.I.A. Brad.
BradOntCa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:26 AM   #2
BradOntCa
macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned I did do a back up but it only took 2 or 3 minutes to do it, my touch is the 8gb model and it's close to being full so I'm doubting everything backed up (77 apps and all) I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything did copy over while waiting for my new touch to arrive. Mail order is a little cheaper but this waiting part sucks LOL.

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 29, 2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Quoted deleted post
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:47 AM   #3
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Doesn't the iPod Touch also sync to iCloud? You can download everything over the air! Although the cable would be significantly faster.....
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:18 AM   #4
BradOntCa
macrumors newbie

I updated the software

Hey again. I had 5.1 firmware installed and decided to update it. When I clicked to update it I got a message to backup all my apps, can't remember exactly what it said (getting old lol) I went thru with that and it saved all my apps before updating so I think I should be ready to go when my new touch arrives. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help, and needed it. Take care.

P.S. I ordered my new ipod thru amazon without ever seeing one and only going by reviews, and mine is 2 years old now. I went to best buy to look for a case last night and saw the 4th gen next to the new 5th gen, I could plainly see the much better screen and knew I made a good decision, the 75 dollar gift cards I got for Xmas helped also. Thanks again guys.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:36 PM   #5
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Brad,

Congrats on the new Ipod touch 5.

In order to transfer everything. First you need to back up info on your itune. I suggest using your own computer to avoid any future inconvenience. Once you got the new device, connect to your itune and choose back up from Ipod touch 4 (not start as new ipod). Then everything including game saves will be on your new device.

Good luck.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:34 AM   #6
BradOntCa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Brad,

Congrats on the new Ipod touch 5.

In order to transfer everything. First you need to back up info on your itune. I suggest using your own computer to avoid any future inconvenience. Once you got the new device, connect to your itune and choose back up from Ipod touch 4 (not start as new ipod). Then everything including game saves will be on your new device.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I finally got my new touch in the mail and did the backup and everything went great. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks again.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch