Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EheroDC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I have got a nexus fm transmitter and iPhone 5 so I could use it in my car (my car is very old and this is the only way)

I have got them paired, I am able to make phone calls and Siri through it, but when I play music, it comes through the iPhone speaker. It may be that I have to tweak some settings, but then I have read some people say that iPhones can't stream music over Bluetooth. Is this correct? Is it possible to stream music through Bluetooth?

Cheers

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Yes its possible to stream music via blutooth. Are you making sure the blutooth connection is selected when you playback. You need to press the airplay button which should appear at the end of the playback bar (its a rectangle with a triangle going into it at the bottom) and select the blutooth device as the output.

EheroDC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Yes its possible to stream music via blutooth. Are you making sure the blutooth connection is selected when you playback. You need to press the airplay button which should appear at the end of the playback bar (its a rectangle with a triangle going into it at the bottom) and select the blutooth device as the output.

When I got into music, select a song, there is no Airplay symbol

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
What is the nexus fm transmitter, and how is it connected to your phone/car.

It doesn't sound like a bluetooth device but a FM transmitter which should work easily because you normally connect it to the headphone output of the phone and then tune in on your radio to hear it.

EheroDC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
What is the nexus fm transmitter, and how is it connected to your phone/car.

It doesn't sound like a bluetooth device but a FM transmitter which should work easily because you normally connect it to the headphone output of the phone and then tune in on your radio to hear it.

It is a Bluetooth FM transmitter. You use Bluetooth to connect your iPhone to the device, then it transmits it over FM to the car radio. It is plugged into the cigarette lighter and does connect through bluetooth, and I even hear the phone calls through it, but no music :(

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Do you now if it supports A2DP? Thats a requirement for streaming stereo music via bluetooth. If it doesn't the iphone can't stream to it.

Phonecalls and Siri must use the HFP (hand free protocol, which is mono) which your device must support.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Do you now if it supports A2DP? Thats a requirement for streaming stereo music via bluetooth. If it doesn't the iphone can't stream to it.

Phonecalls and Siri must use the HFP (hand free protocol, which is mono) which your device must support.

This is probably the issue. In my truck, phone calls and Siri work through my bluetooth radio, but music will not because it isn't A2DP compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.