Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I don't know much about apple, but I know their major revenue comes from the Desktop Publishing Industry and from the Educational Market. With Apple losing much of the Educational Market to Dell and with many in the Desktop publising industry moving to Windows how can Apple Survive?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Apple is making some good inroads into the consumer market, as well as winning programmers and UNIX people to OS X.

The Xserve gives them more of an edge getting into enterprise and educational markets that were dominated by Dell and HP.

There have always been naysayers and prophets of doom proclaiming Apple's iminent demise, but history has shown them to be ultimately incorrect. ;)

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
OOOOH gooody another "the end is near" post......:rolleyes:

If you searched the phrase "apple survive" you should find plenty of these posts

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
apple has been through much darker times than these. although it will not be pretty, and they'll certainly lose ground in the computer market, apple still has the power to survive for a year with it's current hardware technology before the 64bit macs are released. apple's software is second to none, you'll find a lot of die hard windows users that will tell you that much. just a little valley in the chart of apple's progress. it sucks that this hardware problem is occuring right as osx is gaining momentum, if moto had released it's "g5"s as planned, a 64bit chip with osx would be gaining market share at an exponential rate. it's all a matter of patience, a virtue we mac users know quite well.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Thirteenva
OOOOH gooody another "the end is near" post......:rolleyes:

If you searched the phrase "apple survive" you should find plenty of these posts
These people are much more entertaining when they drink their "Kool Aid" to board the mother ship, otherwise they're as annoying as telemarketers.

[edit - mmmm, smells like almond flavored Kool Aid]

No way

Apple will be able to survive for a long time. They are expanding their market in the digital arts, and winning over many companies that need user friendly UNIX solutions. Also they make some of the best cheap laptops on the market. Apple has been through much worse, they have plenty of cash and designers that are setting industry standards very day.

I toast to Apple in 2020.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Thanks for the infomation. I just wanted to make sure buying a Mac is a wise decision financially.

I appreciate the help.

Frisco

Waiting for the new i-mac to come out in January :)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Re: How Can Apple Survive?

Originally posted by Frisco
Desktop publising industry moving to Windows

jeez...where was I when that happened, because I'm in the publishing industry and we would never no way no how move to windows.

the publishing industry is not moving to windows. Maybe amateur publishing stuff like company newsletters and such are because companies are bringing that stuff in house, but nobody else is.

Re: Re: How Can Apple Survive?

Originally posted by e-coli

jeez...where was I when that happened, because I'm in the publishing industry and we would never no way no how move to windows.

the publishing industry is not moving to windows. Maybe amateur publishing stuff like company newsletters and such are because companies are bringing that stuff in house, but nobody else is.

Tru dat man, no one seems to realize that most publications are done in Quark which runs on mac only(maybe I'm wrong)
Macs are so much better for publishing then windoes is, so much easier to use.
Ease of use=increased productivity

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
like you guys are saying, expand and make inroads

i would also like to add that in that pure business, dollars and cents venture, get a new ceo, not keep on with steve jobs the dreamer

even the great woz realizes that one person can only innovate and come up with the next big thing only so many times in life

apple should keep with education and graphics, and still expand in those new area mentioned above

the only thing that scares me is steve jobs and him not really being a programmer or engineer...he mentioned once to macworld that unix can't run on a pc

what? sj, is that acid still in your bloodstream

he is so busy seeing the greatness of osx and getting it just right that sometimes the obvious eludes him

even long before i was a tech or even considered getting a computer i knew unix worked on pcs

in an interesting parallel, many programmers scoffed when bill gates deemed himself the software architect of microsoft after he left the ceo position

bill gates - software architect?

yeah, right:p :p :p

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: Re: Re: How Can Apple Survive?

Originally posted by Macmaniac

Tru dat man, no one seems to realize that most publications are done in Quark which runs on mac only(maybe I'm wrong)

There is a windows version of Quark. As well as all the major design/publishing tools. Also, I think there will be less and less Quark in publishing. My firm has been using all Adobe products for publishing and we couldn't be happier (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat)

To Frisco:

Where do you get the "new iMac in January" idea?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Its amazing that pundits predict the demise of Apple, but it keeps going. Apple's stong suit is Graphics & innovation. I'll let others have egg on their face. Thank you Steve Jobs! :)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
How can Apple survive? How can they not?! Apple is the best computer company that has ever existed as far as I am concerned.

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Sound Designers...

What kind of computers run EA and Microsloths gaming audio divisions you ask? The answer is at least 90% Mac... maybe there's an old Gateway to check your email there. Pro Tools TDM systems designed for the Mac are way ahead of their Windows counterpart. OSX is about to bring an even bigger revolution in high-res multi-channel sound. Throw away your CD players kids:eek: ... it's time for DVD-A!!! WOOHOO!!!

Final Cut Pro is also WAY more stable than Premiere and more versatile than Avid XPRESS DV. I don't think Apple has much to worry about in the professional sector.

My $.02

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: How Can Apple Survive?

Originally posted by Frisco
I don't know much about apple, but I know their major revenue comes from the Desktop Publishing Industry and from the Educational Market. With Apple losing much of the Educational Market to Dell and with many in the Desktop publising industry moving to Windows how can Apple Survive?

First off, the majority of Apple's revenue comes from the comsumer.

For every Mac sold to a design house or a school, several are sold to soccer moms, students, style conscious consumers, etc.

Education has alsways been and will always be a focus for Apple. Sadly, schools see budget savings when purchsing from Dell, not realizing the savings will disappear maintianing their installations. Apple will continue to hold a large share in the edu market, and being UNIX based may help them recover somewhat in higher ed.

Even if DTP moved entirely to Windows, it would not break Apple.

OSX is attracting a lot of people from a lot of different areas. $999 iBooks (less for schools) should sell VERY well. With time, the Xserve may even make it way into the datacenter...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Nipsy
Apple Death Knell Counter

sj's uncanny, but unconventional side is good for an inventor or as a short term great idea person

but this is also the same uncanniness which make would be shareholders feel uneasy

mac users generally love sj, but not so with investors

apple inc could die and maybe they will survive, but sj is not the person to bring apple inc into growth mode

even when emilio or scully ran apple, people with money knew they would not fly apple into the side of the mountain...steve jobs is the kamakaze pilot type:p

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
What in tarnation???

Originally posted by jefhatfield

apple inc could die and maybe they will survive, but sj is not the person to bring apple inc into growth mode

even when emilio or scully ran apple, people with money knew they would not fly apple into the side of the mountain...steve jobs is the kamakaze pilot type:p

Man... what in tarnation are you talking about??? Scully spent half-a-billion dollars in unrecouped R&D on the Newton... was it worth it? No. Did it bring the company to it's knees? Pretty much... along with all the other dumb decisions Scully made. Meanwhile Steve was at NEXT molding what would soon become MacOSX. You've got your facts all mixed up! A lot of people think that Apple simply bought NEXT... but NEXT really took over Apple. Everyone knows this stuff... read a book on it or at least search around Google.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: What in tarnation???

Originally posted by ELYXR

Man... what in tarnation are you talking about??? Scully spent half-a-billion dollars in unrecouped R&D on the Newton... was it worth it? No. Did it bring the company to it's knees? Pretty much... along with all the other dumb decisions Scully made. Meanwhile Steve was at NEXT molding what would soon become MacOSX. You've got your facts all mixed up! A lot of people think that Apple simply bought NEXT... but NEXT really took over Apple. Everyone knows this stuff... read a book on it or at least search around Google.

i never said scully was perfect ;)

but i hear you when you say that next took over apple...since it's such recent history, i don't think there is a book or even solidified rumors to this

what books are you referring to?

as an engineer, one friend of mine who is a former engineer said that a lot of people from power computing also came into apple and helped bring it back in a big way

for good reading, the second coming of steve jobs, silicon boys, and infinite loop shed some light on the topics

while these books tear steve jobs apart, i take it that it is more popular for writers to attack him than scully since steve jobs' mercurial personality is one of the most fascinating in high tech

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.