Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sortvind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
After browsing threads i came over a thread, actually several, of clicking sounds and issues with the seagate HD in the new imac, and that the Hitachi was quieter and a better option.

Can anyone confirm this, and is there actually a option to choose brand or simply stick with what you get?

not ordered yet, so curious :)
i want my first Mac experience to be smooth.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
After browsing threads i came over a thread, actually several, of clicking sounds and issues with the seagate HD in the new imac, and that the Hitachi was quieter and a better option.

Can anyone confirm this, and is there actually a option to choose brand or simply stick with what you get?

not ordered yet, so curious :)
i want my first Mac experience to be smooth.

I have the Hitachi model in my iMac (or whatever it is now that Western Digital purchased their hard disk division). I haven't heard it at all yet. I can barely determine whether the sound I hear from my iMac is the fan or the hdd. Eitherway, whatever the sound is, it is very faint. I have yet to hear any intensive disk noises.

I do have Fusion, but I have nearly 130gb currently on my machine, so a good 10gb at least has spilled over to the HDD. I am working on getting more and more on to the machine to really see how well Fusion works.

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
How would u be able to avoid it? would u just have to keep returning it until u get a different model?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can't "choose".

You get what you get.

The noises are inconsequential, so long as the drive runs properly.

Have you ever sat next to a PowerMac g4 tower for any length of time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.