Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:10 PM   #26
nickn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterQVenkman View Post
My sis got a mini. Makes my nexus feel like the cheap toy that it is.
My friend got a Mini, and it is the most laughable iPad yet. Validates the Nexus 7 as being the best tablet in the 7in category IMO.
nickn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:13 PM   #27
olowott
macrumors 6502a
 
olowott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dundee, UK
Send a message via MSN to olowott
my sister loves the ipad mini she is so happy she waited

said she spent the money real good

i was like wait till u see what comes out next yr

she was like what? i said Retina ipad mini

she was like

in my mind i should ve kept my mouth shut
__________________
iPhone 5s 32gb SpaceGrey -- 2011 13" Macbook pr-- iPhone 4s 16gb -- iPAD 2 32gb
olowott is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #28
SuperMatt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
I recently visited an Apple Store and tried out the iPad mini and the iPad. The mini is so much nicer to hold and use, in my opinion. Watching a movie would be nicer on the regular iPad though.

I think this will be a repeat of the iPod mini being replaced by the iPod nano. In the end, Apple replaces one top-selling product with another top-selling product. And competitors aren't even close.
SuperMatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:57 PM   #29
Lazlow
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Why is everyone missing the point here?

Give those workers a ****ing break. People can wait a week for their iPad minis.
Lazlow is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:07 PM   #30
iZac
macrumors 65816
 
iZac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shanghai
Although its not a big deal that many people have to work through their national holidays (like me sometimes!) it is pretty rubbish when you consider that 99% of these people are migrant workers who only get to see their families and possibly children ... Once a year.
__________________
Robert Goulden
http://www.robgoulden.com
iZac is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:30 PM   #31
petsounds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV View Post
The thing is that Foxconn is exploiting factory workers without any real outlook on any sort of progress. Foxconn will be still Foxconn in 20 years time exploiting next generations of factory workers. A company like Foxconn would be excusable if their would be any possible progress in the future, like what happened in South Korea. But in its present form it is simply a 21st century form of slave labor.
Well, IBM was helping the Nazis keep track of the millions of Jews in concentration camps during World War II. I doubt most people associate IBM with Hitler these days. Businesses tend to change due to outside forces just as much as internal choices. I think Foxconn will look vastly different in 20 years.
petsounds is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:35 PM   #32
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants. It makes sense that they came out with the iPad 4 when they did, to keep the interest up in that device and prevent too much cannibalization. It seems that Apple might be aiming more toward an iPad (the Mini) and an iPad Pro lineup for the future.
Why would this surprise you? Other manufacturers have released 7" tablets, and this provided a lower set of price points to push continued growth. I'm curious if you're describing something beyond that. Is there something about the Mini that you find interesting relative to the standard iPad?
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 PM   #33
Mr Staunton
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Interesting times, especially if you bear in mind that Windows 8 sales are not really lifting off due to decreased PC sales (20% down year over year in the US). The post-PC era is real and Apple saw it coming way beyond the horizon. Now that's vision. *applause*
Apple saw it coming hey, so they created a closed ecosystem iPad that is awesome to use and I love it, but you could say it is a glorified Kindle (which is also a closed system).

For anything to replace the PC, it would have to provide real world usability with access to the storage I want to use, the software I want to use, the games I want to play.

Tablets are fun and can be useful, but as a PC replacement not so.
Mr Staunton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:45 PM   #34
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
I never hear anything about the full size iPad that was released. Are people even buying it?
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:52 PM   #35
Big Dave
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Crestview, Fl
How long before Apple products will debut in China and then the U.S. is further down the release line?
Big Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:53 PM   #36
Mr Staunton
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne
Well off topic now

I can foresee a taller thinner iPad & mini to match the aspect ratio of the iPhone 5, at least that way movies would be watched in normal mode instead of the old aspect ratio.

Hey, is that a rumour I've just started
Mr Staunton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:37 PM   #37
TallManNY
macrumors 68000
 
TallManNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
It is going to be a tablet world. The smartphone market is limited because you will only ever have one smartphone. But tablets. Yeah you can have way more than one tablet at a time.

But that Nexus 7 coming out next week with cell connection for $300. That looks mighty tempting compared to the Mini.
__________________
Mid-2011 3.1GHz i5 iMac (6970m); Late-2007 Macbook; HP Spectre (Win 8.1)
BBRY Q10; iPhone 5; iPad Mini-R
Apple Stockholder (a nice dividend, stock buybacks and cutting edge innovation? yes please!)
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:41 PM   #38
bobringer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via AIM to bobringer Send a message via MSN to bobringer Send a message via Yahoo to bobringer
Uh...

Chinese New Year is in February. Lets wait until then before we "confirm" this story from a source with no history of accuracy...
bobringer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:56 PM   #39
entropys
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobringer View Post
Uh...

Chinese New Year is in February. Lets wait until then before we "confirm" this story from a source with no history of accuracy...
Quite so....
__________________
27 inch i7 imac 3.4 Ghz
entropys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:04 PM   #40
wizard
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2003
I'm actually shocked that people would have thought that iPad Mini would fail. It is an excellent size for many use cases. Sure it could use a retina screen and faster processors but it is an excellent gen one device.

Now my preference lies with the original size but that is me and my use case. I will upgrade my iPad 3 when Apple ups the flash memory in each size. Right now flash memory is the weak link in Apple tablet line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants. It makes sense that they came out with the iPad 4 when they did, to keep the interest up in that device and prevent too much cannibalization. It seems that Apple might be aiming more toward an iPad (the Mini) and an iPad Pro lineup for the future.


----------

You don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Working through the Chinese New Year is a big deal, it's one of the most important holidays in their culture. Imagine if this occurred in the U.S., and thousands of minimum wage workers were forced to work through Christmas and the New Year? Oh, wait, that's already been happening, if they're lucky to find employment.

What is happening to this world? The next time I need another device, I'll think twice about how and where it is made; this is for Apple and any electronics company that works with Foxconn. It starts with all of us, our dollars do make a difference.
wizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:02 PM   #41
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
My friend got a Mini, and it is the most laughable iPad yet. Validates the Nexus 7 as being the best tablet in the 7in category IMO.
What's so great about the Nexus 7? It's basically just an oversized Android phone, no?
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Rogifan is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:11 PM   #42
Popeye206
macrumors 68020
 
Popeye206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NE PA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
It is going to be a tablet world. The smartphone market is limited because you will only ever have one smartphone. But tablets. Yeah you can have way more than one tablet at a time.

But that Nexus 7 coming out next week with cell connection for $300. That looks mighty tempting compared to the Mini.
?????? Smart phone market is limited? Really? Seems to me we all change our phones about every 2 years. Use to change it every year before the iPhone. That's a lot of churn.

As for multiple tablets, I don't buy it. One is enough for most people... two maybe... but more than one seems a bit excessive and not a wise use of money. But if you know something I don't, educate me.
Popeye206 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:32 PM   #43
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Don't worry about Tim Cook and the rest of Apple execs, I'm sure they'll have the holiday's off... AND PAID!
imageWIS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:53 PM   #44
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants.
It was Android 7" tablet owners who told everyone what a great size it was.

Steve Jobs claimed a smaller screen was unusable and most of his fans repeated his nonsense.

Then Eddie Cue, Apple's SVP for Internet Experience, tried a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab and realized its users were right. After that, he worked to convince the Apple brass to bring out the iPad Mini.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-inch-cue.png
Views:	89
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	386446

(Email obtained from California trial evidence.)

Last edited by kdarling; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:00 PM   #45
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Don't rewrite history. Android 7" tablet owners said it was a great size, but Steve Jobs claimed it was unusable and most of his fans repeated his nonsense.

Then Eddie Cue, Apple's SVP for Internet Experience, used a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab and saw the light. After that, he worked to convince the Apple brass to bring out the iPad Mini.

Attachment 386446

(Email obtained from California trial evidence.)
Not to mention all the rhteoric about Steve and others at Apple testing ALL sizes and determining that 9.7" was the perfect size. Just like 3.5" was the perfect size for the iPhone...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
?????? Smart phone market is limited? Really? Seems to me we all change our phones about every 2 years. Use to change it every year before the iPhone. That's a lot of churn.

As for multiple tablets, I don't buy it. One is enough for most people... two maybe... but more than one seems a bit excessive and not a wise use of money. But if you know something I don't, educate me.
I don't disagree that phones get churned and burned. But It will be interesting to see the turnover for tablet purchases.

I still have my iPad (1st gen) and haven't really seen a need to upgrade yet. Sure the front facing camera would be great - but I use my phone for video chatting. I'm not discounting how great the newer iPads are. But since I'm not a gamer and don't need the retina screen (yet) - there hasn't been anything compelling. I don't really need/care for a speed burst for reading, email and web surfing.

So I (and I am sure I am not alone) could take several years to upgrade a tablet. Conversely - I usually upgrade my phone every 18 months because the advances (there at least) or more interesting to me/of use.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:13 PM   #46
MacPioneer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
I found a WWII map case (canvas & brass, with shoulder strap) which is a perfect fit for the iPad. $20 at a military surplus store.

Also fond of products from saddlebackleather.com - not cheap, but built for men, looks better the more it gets beat up, and comes with a 100 year warranty (tagline "they'll fight over it when you're dead").
I own ScotteVest garments for all seasons - vest, light jacket, fleece, winter jacket - each one has a pocket specifically designed for a full-sized iPad. My wife has a new iPad mini, which fits her purse; I have an iPad 4 as an upgrade from my Original iPad. Don't need no "man purse".
MacPioneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:57 PM   #47
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

I don't disagree that phones get churned and burned. But It will be interesting to see the turnover for tablet purchases.

I still have my iPad (1st gen) and haven't really seen a need to upgrade yet. Sure the front facing camera would be great - but I use my phone for video chatting. I'm not discounting how great the newer iPads are. But since I'm not a gamer and don't need the retina screen (yet) - there hasn't been anything compelling. I don't really need/care for a speed burst for reading, email and web surfing.

So I (and I am sure I am not alone) could take several years to upgrade a tablet. Conversely - I usually upgrade my phone every 18 months because the advances (there at least) or more interesting to me/of use.
Exactly. Not all new products are for existing customers.

New computers come out every year... new cameras come out every year.

Hell... new cars come out every year. But you don't have to buy a new one every time one is released.

A person may not buy a new iPad every time a new model comes out... but people buy iPads all the time.

There is always somebody ready to buy at any given time.
Michael Scrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:06 PM   #48
apple-win
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
It amazes me how Apple can foresee these things. I assumed the iPad Mini would find a sort of niche, but I never expected it to be that much of a hit (especially with all the press focusing on the disappointment over a non-retina display). But once again, Apple seems to know what the public wants. .....
Steve Jobs didn't like iPad mini .

Consumers want cheaper iPad , that's why Apple makes iPad mini.

If Apple matched big iPad price to mini iPad price at US$329 , do you think consumers would pick the mini one instead of the big one?
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:13 PM   #49
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Staunton View Post
Apple saw it coming hey, so they created a closed ecosystem iPad that is awesome to use and I love it, but you could say it is a glorified Kindle (which is also a closed system).

For anything to replace the PC, it would have to provide real world usability with access to the storage I want to use, the software I want to use, the games I want to play.

Tablets are fun and can be useful, but as a PC replacement not so.
For a lot of people an iPad is all the computer they need, and care to deal with. They need email, and internet, Facebook, Twitter, maybe a word processor that's about it. Myself I'm hoping for a shiny new Mac Pro early next year. I wonder what the percentage of total population is who only need an iPad? I'm already starting to feel like the exception to the rule.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:29 PM   #50
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
It was Android 7" tablet owners who told everyone what a great size it was.

Steve Jobs claimed a smaller screen was unusable and most of his fans repeated his nonsense.

Then Eddie Cue, Apple's SVP for Internet Experience, tried a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab and realized its users were right. After that, he worked to convince the Apple brass to bring out the iPad Mini.

Attachment 386446

(Email obtained from California trial evidence.)
I wanted a 7 in. iPad from the start. I thought Jobs was full of it. I think he missed the boat a number of times, but I give credit where credit is due. Some have only bad things to say about Jobs and Apple. He did bring Apple back from the dead and made it one of the most successful companies in history. Not a small task by any yardstick. Even if you're an Apple hater it's hard to dismiss that. Although I'm sure some will be more than happy to try.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC