Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I've had all sorts of problems with my IMAC which is a mid-2011 model running Snow Leopard making it basically unusable.

Tried everything to get it going again without success.

So finally out of desperation and knowing I would loose invaluable photos and other files, I decided to just wipe it out and reinstall.

That process took over 4 or 5 hours - it said it was successfully installed and needed to reboot so I said ok.

But when it did it was the same problem as before nothing but grey screen.

I am at a total loss as to why - if your drive is shot will it go ahead and install anyway?

I used disk repair and was successful before doing the install. I'm ready to throw this $1200 computer in the trash.

Mikey-Mike

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
CLE
<Top tip: I never work on my computer unless I am almost to drunk to stand up>

Installing Snow Leopard only takes about 20 min. and I haven’t done it in awhile so I can’t really remember.

I’d say you have some kind of a hardware failure and if you really have know idea what it is you probably need someone who is familiar with computers to look at it.

It might not be that big a deal to pop a new hard drive in your setup and really it’s lots of fun on a Fri. or Sat. night to do the fix and then reload your stuff.

Do some research on goggle to see what it takes to do whatever kind of work is necessary and then pick your parts from your vendor of choice. Good times!

I think a site called Tom's Hardware has good how-to's.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Tried everything to get it going again without success.
Everything? Care to list what you've tried?

So finally out of desperation and knowing I would loose invaluable photos and other files, I decided to just wipe it out and reinstall.
Don't tell me you didn't have a backup?

Grey Screen suggests a kernel panic. That may be a hardware problem, or some third-party software that's incompatible.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
...That process took over 4 or 5 hours - it said it was successfully installed and needed to reboot so I said ok.

4 to 5 hours to install OS X from a DVD sounds like a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.