External storage question - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1
TheDill
macrumors newbie

External storage question

I have a late 2010 MBA and am starting to run out of memory on it, with my itunes taking up the majority of my space. My question is, would it be wise/easy to get a 3.0/2.0 USB external hard drive to store some of my music and videos on? I am in college and live far away from home, so I'd prefer an external hard drive as opposed to using remote file accessing, and my school's connection is crap so that doesn't help matters. I've never had to use any sort of external storage and this is my first mac, so I'm new to all of this and any suggestion will help. Thanks.
TheDill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

Yes
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Memory and storage are entirely different animals

I believe you are running low on storage, not memory. External HDDs are the solution to your space/storage problem. You will not have use for a USB 3 connectivity as your Air is USB 2 but the 3 would be backwards compatible. Definitely consider relocating your iTunes library and your iPhoto library as well .
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

Depending on the size of your library, you could get an SD card or USB flash drive to store your media. Might be a little easier to carry around.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:32 PM   #5
halledise
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDill View Post
I have a late 2010 MBA and am starting to run out of memory on it, with my itunes taking up the majority of my space. My question is, would it be wise/easy to get a 3.0/2.0 USB external hard drive to store some of my music and videos on? I am in college and live far away from home, so I'd prefer an external hard drive as opposed to using remote file accessing, and my school's connection is crap so that doesn't help matters. I've never had to use any sort of external storage and this is my first mac, so I'm new to all of this and any suggestion will help. Thanks.
external HDD is your best option
500gb external HDD are available for around $80 - get a small form factor.
if you're a bit clumsy with your gear then I'd recommend something like this:

****************gjqsE

or this if you want the duck's nuts:

****************YQBAw
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:36 AM   #6
TheDill
macrumors newbie

Okay, so I've gotten my external HD and just have a quick question now. To clear up space on my MBA I have backed up my whole itunes onto my external HD and have begun deleting some of the songs from off my itunes that I don't listen to anymore since they are now on my EHD. My question is, if I back up my itunes later down the line when it has new content in it, will the newer backup overwrite my older itunes folder backup, thus deleting the songs from my EHD that i deleted from my itunes earlier? (i know, confusing, but I'm not good at this so its the best I can explain it.) Like will it overwrite the itunes backup folder on my EHD completely or will it simply add the songs that I have just bought in itunes and keep all other music/movies on there?

Sorry for sounding primitive but this is my first Mac and first experience with external HD's. Thanks.
TheDill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:50 AM   #7
kulimer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
or this if you want the duck's nuts:

****************YQBAw
wow, that thing looks awesome. How heavy is 9.2oz? I've never seen this before.
kulimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air