Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have a late 2010 MBA and am starting to run out of memory on it, with my itunes taking up the majority of my space. My question is, would it be wise/easy to get a 3.0/2.0 USB external hard drive to store some of my music and videos on? I am in college and live far away from home, so I'd prefer an external hard drive as opposed to using remote file accessing, and my school's connection is crap so that doesn't help matters. I've never had to use any sort of external storage and this is my first mac, so I'm new to all of this and any suggestion will help. Thanks.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Memory and storage are entirely different animals

I believe you are running low on storage, not memory. External HDDs are the solution to your space/storage problem. You will not have use for a USB 3 connectivity as your Air is USB 2 but the 3 would be backwards compatible. Definitely consider relocating your iTunes library and your iPhoto library as well .

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Depending on the size of your library, you could get an SD card or USB flash drive to store your media. Might be a little easier to carry around.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I have a late 2010 MBA and am starting to run out of memory on it, with my itunes taking up the majority of my space. My question is, would it be wise/easy to get a 3.0/2.0 USB external hard drive to store some of my music and videos on? I am in college and live far away from home, so I'd prefer an external hard drive as opposed to using remote file accessing, and my school's connection is crap so that doesn't help matters. I've never had to use any sort of external storage and this is my first mac, so I'm new to all of this and any suggestion will help. Thanks.

external HDD is your best option
500gb external HDD are available for around $80 - get a small form factor.
if you're a bit clumsy with your gear then I'd recommend something like this:

http://goo.gl/gjqsE

or this if you want the duck's nuts:

http://goo.gl/YQBAw

TheDill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Okay, so I've gotten my external HD and just have a quick question now. To clear up space on my MBA I have backed up my whole itunes onto my external HD and have begun deleting some of the songs from off my itunes that I don't listen to anymore since they are now on my EHD. My question is, if I back up my itunes later down the line when it has new content in it, will the newer backup overwrite my older itunes folder backup, thus deleting the songs from my EHD that i deleted from my itunes earlier? (i know, confusing, but I'm not good at this so its the best I can explain it.) Like will it overwrite the itunes backup folder on my EHD completely or will it simply add the songs that I have just bought in itunes and keep all other music/movies on there?

Sorry for sounding primitive but this is my first Mac and first experience with external HD's. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.