Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Jmanp17
macrumors member

IP Configuration

So I got on my computer and suddenly got a pop up (error message) saying IP Configuration, this had my IP THEN said In use by another assortment of numbers DHCP server. It was very odd, so I just closed it and continued on. What is that? I went into my network settings in System preferences and clicked renew DHCP Lease, did that take care of it?
Jmanp17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Just guessing since you don't have the exact error message, but it may have been just saying that your IP/address hostname was in use by another computer. You can typically turn off and back on Wi-Fi, or power cycle your router. You may also want to check your Sharing preferences, make sure your computer name hasn't had a 1 or another number in parentheses added to it.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Jmanp17
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
Just guessing since you don't have the exact error message, but it may have been just saying that your IP/address hostname was in use by another computer. You can typically turn off and back on Wi-Fi, or power cycle your router. You may also want to check your Sharing preferences, make sure your computer name hasn't had a 1 or another number in parentheses added to it.
Just a newbie question, but how do I check my sharing preferences?
Another thing too is that I was having a powersurge in my electricity last night, crap flickering on and off, along with probably the modem and router. That could be a factor too right?
Jmanp17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Sharing preferences is part of System Preferences, under the Apple menu. It is in the 3rd row, has a folder with a yellow street sign. Computer name will be at the top of the window, also the computer's hostname as well. If there was a sudden loss/surge of electricity to the modem and router, the error message you got is almost definitely tied to what you saw.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help