Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #1
glocke12
Banned

You are a gun control hypocrite if...

some interesting videos...

and of course lets not forget the hollywood hypocrites who have literally made millions off of glamorizng guns and gun violence.

Last edited by dejo; Jan 2, 2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Please use [youtube] tags.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post

YouTube: video

and of course lets not forget the hollywood hypocrites who have literally made millions off of glamorizng guns and gun violence.

So would this not include such future conservative greats as Ronald Reagan, John Wayne, Errol Flynn, and Clint Eastwood?

Oh yes.. hypocrites, the whole lot. At least Sharon Stone had the testicular fortitude to turn the zipper around to the front, and turn in her guns, her CC permit, and her NRA membership.

BL.

Last edited by dejo; Jan 2, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

I'll save everyone some time:

"You are a gun control hypocrite unless you agree with me 100%"

There is nothing to discuss here unless you're interested in eating red herring for dinner.

As long as the goal of the discussion is to make a convincing caricature of the other side, nothing is going to change. Meanwhile, 277 more people have lost their lives to a gun since Dec 14th. Roughly 21 more will be dead by this time tomorrow.

Last edited by Iscariot; Dec 28, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Iscariot is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
So would this not include such future conservative greats as Ronald Reagan, John Wayne, Errol Flynn, and Clint Eastwood?

Oh yes.. hypocrites, the whole lot. At least Sharon Stone had the testicular fortitude to turn the zipper around to the front, and turn in her guns, her CC permit, and her NRA membership.

BL.
well, I don't see Clint coming out demanding people turn in their guns...and I am not aware of John Wayne or Errol Flynn demanding people turn in their guns either.

Sorry, but for these hollywood elitists to call for more gun control, while raking in millions starring in, or producing movies that are saturated with gun control is simply the height of hypocrisy.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:28 PM   #5
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Sorry, but for these hollywood elitists to call for more gun control, while raking in millions starring in, or producing movies that are saturated with gun control is simply the height of hypocrisy.
This isn't a very well thought out argument. It seems to me that making movies that depict the violence and death caused by guns can be entirely consistent with a personal conviction that gun control is a good idea.
miloblithe is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
well, I don't see Clint coming out demanding people turn in their guns...and I am not aware of John Wayne or Errol Flynn demanding people turn in their guns either.

No more hypocritical than those who rail on and on about the 2nd Amendment while completely disregarding the 1st Amendment and all of the other rights we Americans have.

The problem I see is that everyone is so busy trying to be right that we lose sight of the actual problem. How will anything be solved if a discussion between two sides (who are probably closer than they think) devolves into a war of name-calling and tit-for-tat?
Moyank24 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloblithe View Post
This isn't a very well thought out argument. It seems to me that making movies that depict the violence and death caused by guns can be entirely consistent with a personal conviction that gun control is a good idea.
my argument is not well thought out?

these people are essentially using the glorification of violence to make themselves rich, and than turning around and demanding that law abiding gun owners who have done nothing wrong turn in the their guns and give up their hobbies. That is absolutely the height of hypocrisy.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:36 PM   #8

OP quoting youtube vidoes is the lowest form of argument

Feel free to actually post something of individual time and worth
725032 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
No more hypocritical than those who rail on and on about the 2nd Amendment while completely disregarding the 1st Amendment and all of the other rights we Americans have.

The problem I see is that everyone is so busy trying to be right that we lose sight of the actual problem. How will anything be solved if a discussion between two sides (who are probably closer than they think) devolves into a war of name-calling and tit-for-tat?
to be honest, the majority of gun owners I know support anyones right to free speech...

and before you or someone brings up that piers morgan thread I started, I posted that in jest as I clearly pointed out in the first post...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
OP quoting youtube vidoes is the lowest form of argument

Feel free to actually post something of individual time and worth
oh please spare me...

how is that any different from anyone else here posting links to a commentary on another site...
glocke12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
to be honest, the majority of gun owners I know support anyones right to free speech...

and before you or someone brings up that piers morgan thread I started, I posted that in jest as I clearly pointed out in the first postsite.
And most of the "anti-gun" crowd you're talking about don't support taking all of your guns away. Gun control is different than no guns. It seems you're so busy being outraged that you can't see the difference.

And if you're going to single out a small group of people (Hollywood Elitists) than what's wrong with pointing out the extreme hypocrisy of the NRA and some of its top people?

Last edited by Moyank24; Dec 28, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Moyank24 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:

You're right but you stopped at gun control to point out hypocrisy of movie stars? What about the stars who tell us to unplug out unused charges so we don't waste a drop of electricity and then get into their private jets and limos and go home to their mansions? Or the stars who tell us not to pick on one group of people while making movies that completely stereotype another? The comedian who says I'm black and proud and gay joke gay joke gay joke?? They are the do as I say not as I do people.

----------

Quote:

and before you or someone brings up that piers morgan thread I started, I posted that in jest as I clearly pointed out in the first post...

----------

oh please spare me...

how is that any different from anyone else here posting links to a commentary on another site...
Speaking of hypocrisy, I have seen more than one post today telling someone to post something of worth. But how is a post doing that, worthy?
Mac'nCheese is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:04 PM   #12
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:

My favorite is George Clooney who has 'blasted' his way into his multi-million dollar house and yachts in which he hosts political fundraisers and discusses stricter gun laws (although I bet his guards carry guns...).

I'm waiting on Eminem to begin hosting marriage equality events next...

Last edited by dejo; Jan 2, 2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
NickZac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:13 AM   #13
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
...demanding that law abiding gun owners who have done nothing wrong turn in the their guns and give up their hobbies. That is absolutely the height of hypocrisy.
OK, seriously... You and several others keep beating this drum of "demanding law-abiding citizens turn in their guns". I've heard it so many times, I'm beginning to think it's my legal name. But I have seen little mention of people who support gun-CONTROL, support complete BANS. You see, those are different things.

Control: Require more comprehensive checks, training, testing, requirements, etc
Ban: Stop all sales and make ownership illegal

How to you keep turning the above into the same thing?? They are not. And most gun-control advocates are NOT clamoring to come take your guns away, unless you own some really shady weapons. So can you please, please, pretty please stop with the hyperbole and scare tactics????
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:18 AM   #14
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Quote:

these people are essentially using the glorification of violence to make themselves rich, and than turning around and demanding that law abiding gun owners who have done nothing wrong turn in the their guns and give up their hobbies. That is absolutely the height of hypocrisy.
If someone made a movie about a rape (probably showing that rape was a bad thing), they would have made money off of rape. Would it then be hypocritical of them to oppose rape?
miloblithe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloblithe View Post
If someone made a movie about a rape (probably showing that rape was a bad thing), they would have made money off of rape. Would it then be hypocritical of them to oppose rape?
Did the producers glorify the rape? Were the rapists the heroes of the story? Do you see the point of those two questions
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:34 AM   #16
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I have to wonder what people like you would think about guns and what "hobby" you would have if guns had never been widely available in the first place. Pretty sad that people make a "hobby" out of something that is used to kill.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:45 AM   #17
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
I have to wonder what people like you would think about guns and what "hobby" you would have if guns had never been widely available in the first place. Pretty sad that people make a "hobby" out of something that is used to kill.
Like I said in another thread...I wonder how much of the US gun culture is based solely on the fact that it's a right that some people feel they must exercise. I can't count the number of times I ask someone why they are so infatuated with guns, and they say "it's my right and I wish to exercise that right".
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:53 PM   #18
hulugu
macrumors 68000

The first video seems to have the same trouble with hypocrisy that Alanis Morissette had with irony.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:17 PM   #19
dinggus
Banned

I should go buy my pistol soon and get my CC permit before it's to late.

Gun Control is everyone's fault, parents and the shop that sells them.

Parents need to teach kids at a young age the importance of gun control.

The shop's need to do a thorough background check, and obviously not sell a pistol to anyone until 21. I don't know other states, but you can't buy a pistol until you're 21 in California.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:20 PM   #20
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:

You should learn how to differentiate between fantasy and reality.

Stop trying to blame entertainment for the ridiculous gun problem this country has. The rest of the western world has access to the same entertainment yet the rate of people dying as a result of firearms is astronomically lower.
zioxide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:05 PM   #21
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
You should learn how to differentiate between fantasy and reality.

Stop trying to blame entertainment for the ridiculous gun problem this country has. The rest of the western world has access to the same entertainment yet the rate of people dying as a result of firearms is astronomically lower.
I can only underline that. Here in Europe we are fully aware of the fantasy world the entertainment depicts us even when it's "based on reality" but when it comes to the real world, we know where the boundaries are. In some countries over here we have a gun in almost every house but they never dictate our daily lives.
Andeavor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:45 PM   #22
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroony View Post
I can only underline that. Here in Europe we are fully aware of the fantasy world the entertainment depicts us even when it's "based on reality" but when it comes to the real world, we know where the boundaries are. In some countries over here we have a gun in almost every house but they never dictate our daily lives.
Exactly.

There's a big difference between wanting to watch a Rambo movie and actually trying to pretend you are Rambo.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:03 PM   #23
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Exactly.

There's a big difference between wanting to watch a Rambo movie and actually trying to pretend you are Rambo.
The NRA will bang this drum hard because it's an attempt to cast the blame elsewhere. They've thrown a flare and remain hopeful that the American public's attention aims for Hollywood and the video game industry rather than the firearms business.

And, gun supporters will make the same arguments. It's Miramax, it's Electronic Arts, it's single mothers, the lack of respect, and a hundred other causes.

We're just following a script.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Huntn
macrumors 603

I'm not saying I have the answers. Irresponsible/sick/bad people with guns and we want a system that keeps the guns out of the bad peoples' hands. In many cases the first time someone goes crazy and shoots up a school, mall, or movie theater is the first time they break the law. Is there a way to control guns or screen ownership of guns from those who could be a problem without keeping records of those who are currently good law abiding citizens? Or do we say public places being shot up is unfortunately acceptable to guard our right for everyone to own a gun? Based on expense and perceived effectiveness, I don't think an armed guard in every school is a good answer because you'd still have to cover all public places with armed personnel. Do we really want to live in a police state? Do we want most people in public to be armed with concealed carry permits? My gut feeling is to say no, we don't.

Happy New Year!
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:52 PM   #25
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
I'll save everyone some time:

"You are a gun control hypocrite unless you agree with me 100%"

There is nothing to discuss here unless you're interested in eating red herring for dinner.

As long as the goal of the discussion is to make a convincing caricature of the other side, nothing is going to change. Meanwhile, 277 more people have lost their lives to a gun since Dec 14th. Roughly 21 more will be dead by this time tomorrow.
And how many people have lost their lives due to alcohol ? We still have drive up windows at daiquiri and beer stores in some places. People get 'lucky' every day (not kill someone), yet drunk driving is an epidemic, plus others that die from alcohol related illnesses.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues