Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

Photo slideshow using iMovie and iPhoto

I want to make a DVD to play my holiday photos as a Slideshow for my family home DVD player. Firstly I am a PC to a Mac 1st time.

I used to use Memories on TV on a PC. I am interesting in learning the mac apps. I want to use randomise transitions which iPhoto provides, but not pan or zoom on any photos which imovie does provide. I've tried doing it for 4 hours today it doesn't seem to work I did export the slideshow movie from iPhotos then imported into iMovie it made the pics all pixels on my iMac which is horrible look. I tried the help file none of them seem to do the way i want it.

Things I require
  • Own music
  • Random transitions
  • not pixels pictures
  • Start Title
  • DVD Menu

Oh and don't want to splash the cash!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
MDJCM
macrumors member

You want to put photos onto a DVD?

DVD has a maximum resolution that will look rough on HDTVs and iMacs etc
MDJCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Just use iMovie. Drag photos into a Project, choose your Transitions, put a Title at the beginning, add music, Export to Quicktime. If you don't have iDVD on your Mac, then use Burn to make the dvd. Just make sure you make a Video DVD.
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

However, as MDJCM says, dvd resolution is poor, only 720x576 or 720x480, so your phots aren't going to look that great on a TV. Having said that, having done this a few times, they won't look too bad.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Have you considered Apple TV? Then you can stream to your TV straight from your iOS devices. That's how I show photos when the relatives are round.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
MDJCM
macrumors member

Yeah, a lot of TVs nowadays will play photos from a USB stick or you can get a HDMI lead for your tablet or phone.

But basically, the reason you are finding it difficult to do these discs is because people are moving away from doing photo DVDs and just looking at photos directly instead of an orchestrated slideshow.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:44 AM   #6
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJCM View Post
Yeah, a lot of TVs nowadays will play photos from a USB stick or you can get a HDMI lead for your tablet or phone.

But basically, the reason you are finding it difficult to do these discs is because people are moving away from doing photo DVDs and just looking at photos directly instead of an orchestrated slideshow.
Maybe in Apple terms but DVD photos are very much around in general.
DeafRaiders is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:31 AM   #7
MDJCM
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafRaiders View Post
Maybe in Apple terms but DVD photos are very much around in general.
Couldn't tell you the last time I saw anyone hand anyone else a DVD photo slideshow and I deal with a lot of people. But maybe there's pockets of existence :-p
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:59 PM   #8
DeafRaiders
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJCM View Post
Couldn't tell you the last time I saw anyone hand anyone else a DVD photo slideshow and I deal with a lot of people. But maybe there's pockets of existence :-p
Photographers do give DVD slideshow to people who hire them for special occasions. Can't really tell them to go a buy an AppleTV just to view their pictures!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:31 PM   #9
MDJCM
macrumors member

Yeah but think of the tragic reality that every person who receives one of those DVDs goes home to a ~40" HDTV, but they are too backwards to consider a way to view media in High Definition.

So yeah, not a problem for the photographer to fix, but its part of a much bigger problem. Big TVs getting sold to people who don't yet know how to use them.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store