Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Can't get folders to have the same view

This is nuts, I've been using Mac OS for 15 years, and I have no idea how to get all the folders on my Mac to have the same view.

I've searched the web, I've tried all the obvious solutions, like pressing the "use as default" button, which one would assume would work.

Basically I just want everything to be in 12 pt, yet after selecting groups of folders or selecting my home folder and setting it to use as default in the hope that it will apply to all subfolders, I still keep finding folders that are at 14pt, gradually I'm having to change them all one at a time as they turn up but this is getting ridiculous.

What the hell is the 'use as defaults' button supposed to mean if not what it says?
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
The Use as Defaults button will work for all enclosed folders that have not been altered using Show View Options. So, you should set the highest level folder that you want to customize, then use that button. But, as stated, it will have no effect on any finder window you have tinkered with for even one setting. The idea is that the savvy user will do that immediately upon purchasing a new Mac or installing an OS upgrade.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
inscrewtable
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
The Use as Defaults button will work for all enclosed folders that have not been altered using Show View Options. So, you should set the highest level folder that you want to customize, then use that button. But, as stated, it will have no effect on any finder window you have tinkered with for even one setting. The idea is that the savvy user will do that immediately upon purchasing a new Mac or installing an OS upgrade.
Well that is excellent information not particularly what I wanted to hear but useful none the less.

It now leads me to my next question, and that is, is there a way, (by deleting some hidden system file for example) where I can reset, (everything if need be) all the folders to this mystical 'default' view? I know that this information is held in the ds store file in each folder, but maybe a terminal command to get rid of the lot and replace with a new default?
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:05 AM   #4
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
is there a way, (by deleting some hidden system file for example) where I can reset, (everything if need be) all the folders to this mystical 'default' view? I know that this information is held in the ds store file in each folder, but maybe a terminal command to get rid of the lot and replace with a new default?
Open the Terminal utility and enter

Code:
sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -delete
(You'll need to supply your password when it's requested.) This will remove all the hidden .DS_Store files in your file system. The command will take some time to complete; it took about 15 minutes for the roughly 200,000 folders in my file system. Once it finishes, kill and restart the Finder by entering the following in Terminal:

Code:
killall Finder
This should return you to a default configuration.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:41 AM   #5
inscrewtable
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Hi, didn't seem to work

I first changed my account to admin then restarted.

I opened up a folder on my desktop and set it to 16pt as a control.

Ran the terminal command and entered my password. Didn't look like anything was happening but I looked in the Activity monitor app and I could see that the 'find' command was using the cpu so all looked good.

After about 11 minutes it stopped. I ran the killall Finder and opened up my home folder and changed it around a bit and set it to 12 pt.

Then I opened up the control folder on my desktop and it was still set at the 16pt I set it to before I ran the delete command.

So I'm not sure what happened here.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:56 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
Hi, didn't seem to work

I first changed my account to admin then restarted.

I opened up a folder on my desktop and set it to 16pt as a control.

Ran the terminal command and entered my password. Didn't look like anything was happening but I looked in the Activity monitor app and I could see that the 'find' command was using the cpu so all looked good.

After about 11 minutes it stopped. I ran the killall Finder and opened up my home folder and changed it around a bit and set it to 12 pt.

Then I opened up the control folder on my desktop and it was still set at the 16pt I set it to before I ran the delete command.

So I'm not sure what happened here.
Terminal Commands are nice but it didn't tell you the output, many times you can achieve this by adding -print.
But, you could also try a free program called Easyfind and search for .DS_Store files, it is fast to find them (much faster than Find), after it stopped select all and hit the delete button.(Scroll first to see if they are all named .DS_Store to be sure)

You could also try repairing permissions.

You need to restart the Finder after this.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:14 AM   #7
inscrewtable
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
That Easy Find app is pretty good. It did confirm that Terminal had done the job. I deleted the few files that were left and restarted the computer and all seems to be good now.

thanks for your assistance.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:44 AM   #8
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
That Easy Find app is pretty good. It did confirm that Terminal had done the job. I deleted the few files that were left and restarted the computer and all seems to be good now.

thanks for your assistance.
Glad it's solved.

yep, Easyfind is a nifty little App, Spotlight used to be good, it could too find all files before but it's bogged down now.
It can still do the job but you need to know how and it's too difficult for most user IMO.
Run Easyfind as root and it's even better but also potentially dangerous.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Set all folders to same default view Failurbydesign OS X Mavericks (10.9) 10 Jun 26, 2014 04:40 PM
How do i view public folders with Mac Mail & Exchange 2007? bobjones2014 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Mar 5, 2014 04:45 PM
Folder View: Folders on top, Files on bottom? legaleye3000 OS X 3 Jan 22, 2013 01:32 PM
Need help displaying num. of files/folders column in Finder's list view zabalex OS X 8 Dec 19, 2012 08:59 PM
"View content as FAN" gone for docked folders in 10.8? DannyGGG OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Aug 30, 2012 05:38 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC