Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
This is nuts, I've been using Mac OS for 15 years, and I have no idea how to get all the folders on my Mac to have the same view.

I've searched the web, I've tried all the obvious solutions, like pressing the "use as default" button, which one would assume would work.

Basically I just want everything to be in 12 pt, yet after selecting groups of folders or selecting my home folder and setting it to use as default in the hope that it will apply to all subfolders, I still keep finding folders that are at 14pt, gradually I'm having to change them all one at a time as they turn up but this is getting ridiculous.

What the hell is the 'use as defaults' button supposed to mean if not what it says?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The Use as Defaults button will work for all enclosed folders that have not been altered using Show View Options. So, you should set the highest level folder that you want to customize, then use that button. But, as stated, it will have no effect on any finder window you have tinkered with for even one setting. The idea is that the savvy user will do that immediately upon purchasing a new Mac or installing an OS upgrade.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
The Use as Defaults button will work for all enclosed folders that have not been altered using Show View Options. So, you should set the highest level folder that you want to customize, then use that button. But, as stated, it will have no effect on any finder window you have tinkered with for even one setting. The idea is that the savvy user will do that immediately upon purchasing a new Mac or installing an OS upgrade.

Well that is excellent information not particularly what I wanted to hear but useful none the less.

It now leads me to my next question, and that is, is there a way, (by deleting some hidden system file for example) where I can reset, (everything if need be) all the folders to this mystical 'default' view? I know that this information is held in the ds store file in each folder, but maybe a terminal command to get rid of the lot and replace with a new default?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
is there a way, (by deleting some hidden system file for example) where I can reset, (everything if need be) all the folders to this mystical 'default' view? I know that this information is held in the ds store file in each folder, but maybe a terminal command to get rid of the lot and replace with a new default?

Open the Terminal utility and enter

Code:
sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -delete

(You'll need to supply your password when it's requested.) This will remove all the hidden .DS_Store files in your file system. The command will take some time to complete; it took about 15 minutes for the roughly 200,000 folders in my file system. Once it finishes, kill and restart the Finder by entering the following in Terminal:

Code:
killall Finder

This should return you to a default configuration.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Hi, didn't seem to work :confused:

I first changed my account to admin then restarted.

I opened up a folder on my desktop and set it to 16pt as a control.

Ran the terminal command and entered my password. Didn't look like anything was happening but I looked in the Activity monitor app and I could see that the 'find' command was using the cpu so all looked good.

After about 11 minutes it stopped. I ran the killall Finder and opened up my home folder and changed it around a bit and set it to 12 pt.

Then I opened up the control folder on my desktop and it was still set at the 16pt I set it to before I ran the delete command.

So I'm not sure what happened here.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi, didn't seem to work :confused:

I first changed my account to admin then restarted.

I opened up a folder on my desktop and set it to 16pt as a control.

Ran the terminal command and entered my password. Didn't look like anything was happening but I looked in the Activity monitor app and I could see that the 'find' command was using the cpu so all looked good.

After about 11 minutes it stopped. I ran the killall Finder and opened up my home folder and changed it around a bit and set it to 12 pt.

Then I opened up the control folder on my desktop and it was still set at the 16pt I set it to before I ran the delete command.

So I'm not sure what happened here.

Terminal Commands are nice but it didn't tell you the output, many times you can achieve this by adding -print.
But, you could also try a free program called Easyfind and search for .DS_Store files, it is fast to find them (much faster than Find), after it stopped select all and hit the delete button.(Scroll first to see if they are all named .DS_Store to be sure)

You could also try repairing permissions.

You need to restart the Finder after this.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
That Easy Find app is pretty good. It did confirm that Terminal had done the job. I deleted the few files that were left and restarted the computer and all seems to be good now.

thanks for your assistance.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That Easy Find app is pretty good. It did confirm that Terminal had done the job. I deleted the few files that were left and restarted the computer and all seems to be good now.

thanks for your assistance.

Glad it's solved.

yep, Easyfind is a nifty little App, Spotlight used to be good, it could too find all files before but it's bogged down now.
It can still do the job but you need to know how and it's too difficult for most user IMO.
Run Easyfind as root and it's even better but also potentially dangerous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.