Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
JamesW.
macrumors newbie

Application not for commercial use!

Hi guys, I just downloaded the student version of cinema4d. I read the license and I found something what I don't know something about. There's a point which says that the usage of this application is only for non commercial things. So now my question: when I create a cool animation and want to upload this to YouTube and earn money with google Adsense in my video. Is this commercial or no?
JamesW. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:35 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW. View Post
Hi guys, I just downloaded the student version of cinema4d. I read the license and I found something what I don't know something about. There's a point which says that the usage of this application is only for non commercial things. So now my question: when I create a cool animation and want to upload this to YouTube and earn money with google Adsense in my video. Is this commercial or no?
Yes. If you are using the product to make money, it qualifies as commercial use. This almost always is the limitation with Academic versions.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
JamesW.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Yes. If you are using the product to make money, it qualifies as commercial use. This almost always is the limitation with Academic versions.
But there are so many Cinema4d animations on YouTube. And with this videos I will earn 100$ or less. It's not very much.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:47 PM   #4
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
But there are so many Cinema4d animations on YouTube. And with this videos I will earn 100$ or less. It's not very much.
But it still is a commercial use. If you want to make money with their products, you'll have to pay more for their products.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:50 PM   #5
JamesW.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
But it still is a commercial use. If you want to make money with their products, you'll have to pay more for their products.
And if I upload the animations without ads
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
And if I upload the animations without ads
Technically Youtube will be making money off of it so it could be considered commercial use; but as long as YOU aren't making money, it should be OK.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:54 PM   #7
JamesW.
macrumors newbie

But how can they find Out that I earn money
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:57 AM   #8
tillsbury
macrumors 6502a

Well, it's tricky I suppose, and they are fairly unlikely to come looking, although I'd be surprised if they didn't have an app that trawled youtube looking for obvious ones and claimed the ad revenue. You can be sure, though, that if you upload the next Gangnam Style they will sue your ass off...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:04 AM   #9
JamesW.
macrumors newbie

Ok but I'm a student and the original version of cinema 4d costs 3500$ and this is too much. So I downloaded the student edition. Now when I upload my animations to YouTube, I will earn not so much money - maybe 30$ per month. I wouldn't pay up for them. Well, another question about this topic. Can I upload my animations to my website or is this commercial usage, too. On my website there aren't any ads or something which I earn money with. That should be no problem, shouldn't it?

Last edited by JamesW.; Jan 1, 2013 at 05:00 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store