Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Irishman
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Loving the New 2012 iMac 21.5"!

So, my lovely wife Stephanie won wife of the year AGAIN by totally surprising me on Christmas morning with the new hotness - the super-slim, super-sexy, super-fast iMac 2.9GHz!!

So far, I've played Team Fortress 2 at 1080p with all settings maxed, and it's buttery smooth!

Same with Bioshock! Better graphics, really immersive.

Downloading Left 4 Dead 2 from Steam now, and will give you guys feedback when I've gotten a chance to play it.

Everything is snappy, silky-smooth, and responsive. The screen is beautiful.
Irishman is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
My machine's specs are in my signature. Have been playing several titles so far - Darksiders, Alan Wake, Dead Island, Diablo 3, Borderlands. All run reasonably well!

----------

I love the 21.5" too! Maybe more than you love yours!
__________________
MBA (2012, 11", 2.0GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
iPad (3rd Generation, 64GB, Black, Wi-Fi only)
iPhone 5 (64GB, Black, AT&T)
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
So, about L4D2 -

In a word, delicious! I'd never played the game before, so I'm coming to it new. I love the cooperative aspect of the game. You really can't play it alone. There is no "single player" as we're used to in shooters.

In the story mode, you and your band of 4 survivors find yourselves on a rooftop of a hotel. The last time I recall a game starting that way was the original Duke Nukem 3D. Ah, the memories.

As you play through the story mode, there's a very natural mixture of claustrophobic spaces and wide-open spaces, and not for one second do they feel forced or artificial. They do a great job of selling this world of a zombie apocalypse.

The graphical details are amazingly rich, sharp, and dynamic. Facial animations are spot-on. They look photo-realistic. Motion is fluid, and character animations are very compelling.

I play the game in 1920x1080p, with all settings maxed out. Not a hitch, not a hang-up or slowdown. Just gorgeous.

Sound is better with headphones (I used Bose MIE2, and yes, the inline volume control can control the iMac's volume!!), as the build-in audio in the iMac can get loud, but it doesn't go low.

Keep in mind that Steam was offering it on a 75% off sale when I got it for $5, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a no-brainer buy!!
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
So, about L4D2 -

In a word, delicious! I'd never played the game before, so I'm coming to it new. I love the cooperative aspect of the game. You really can't play it alone. There is no "single player" as we're used to in shooters.

In the story mode, you and your band of 4 survivors find yourselves on a rooftop of a hotel. The last time I recall a game starting that way was the original Duke Nukem 3D. Ah, the memories.

As you play through the story mode, there's a very natural mixture of claustrophobic spaces and wide-open spaces, and not for one second do they feel forced or artificial. They do a great job of selling this world of a zombie apocalypse.

The graphical details are amazingly rich, sharp, and dynamic. Facial animations are spot-on. They look photo-realistic. Motion is fluid, and character animations are very compelling.

I play the game in 1920x1080p, with all settings maxed out. Not a hitch, not a hang-up or slowdown. Just gorgeous.

Sound is better with headphones (I used Bose MIE2, and yes, the inline volume control can control the iMac's volume!!), as the build-in audio in the iMac can get loud, but it doesn't go low.

Keep in mind that Steam was offering it on a 75% off sale when I got it for $5, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a no-brainer buy!!
I'm downloading L4D and L4D2 as I write this. If you like zombie games, try the games Dead Island, Deadlight, and The Walking Dead - all run well on the 21.5" iMac.
__________________
MBA (2012, 11", 2.0GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
iPad (3rd Generation, 64GB, Black, Wi-Fi only)
iPhone 5 (64GB, Black, AT&T)
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
I'm downloading L4D and L4D2 as I write this. If you like zombie games, try the games Dead Island, Deadlight, and The Walking Dead - all run well on the 21.5" iMac.
I know Walking Dead is a native OSX title, but are Dead Island and Deadlight? I'm not currently planning to install Windows just to run Windows games right now.

I've been watching some Dead Island walkthroughs on youtube, and they look really interesting.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:05 PM   #6
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I know Walking Dead is a native OSX title, but are Dead Island and Deadlight? I'm not currently planning to install Windows just to run Windows games right now.

I've been watching some Dead Island walkthroughs on youtube, and they look really interesting.
Unfortunately they are not. I do Boot Camp for the performance gains in gaming. Dead Island and Deadlight both run really well on the new iMac, settings at max, 60 FPS. What kind of results are getting from gaming in OSX?
__________________
MBA (2012, 11", 2.0GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
iPad (3rd Generation, 64GB, Black, Wi-Fi only)
iPhone 5 (64GB, Black, AT&T)
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
Unfortunately they are not. I do Boot Camp for the performance gains in gaming. Dead Island and Deadlight both run really well on the new iMac, settings at max, 60 FPS. What kind of results are getting from gaming in OSX?
Haven't seen any FPS tools in the games I'm playing (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and the original Bioshock demo), so if you have any suggestions, I'm open.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:06 AM   #8
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Haven't seen any FPS tools in the games I'm playing (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and the original Bioshock demo), so if you have any suggestions, I'm open.
Hmmm? Let me look into that, I'll get back to you on this. There should be a FPS counter for Mac OSX. I use a program for Windows called "Fraps" and they unfortunately do not have a Mac client.
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
Hmmm? Let me look into that, I'll get back to you on this. There should be a FPS counter for Mac OSX. I use a program for Windows called "Fraps" and they unfortunately do not have a Mac client.
Any luck?
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:41 PM   #10
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Any luck?
Sorry, been busy with work. I'll search around this weekend

----------

Any updates on any other titles you've been playing?
__________________
MBA (2012, 11", 2.0GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
iPad (3rd Generation, 64GB, Black, Wi-Fi only)
iPhone 5 (64GB, Black, AT&T)
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:48 AM   #11
lewion
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kalmthout
Send a message via MSN to lewion Send a message via Skype™ to lewion
This is a thread I'm going to follow!

I'll be receiving mine at the end of January. 21.5" i7 1TB Fusion and 16Gb of ram... I can't wait to write reviews :-)

Are you guys able to test some more games? How well does Diablo 3 play on the GT650M? I actually haven't found any benchmarks yet. But I'm sure interested in them.

Is there a reason you guys didn't choose the i7 over the i5? (A reason that is not money related that is).

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to share my results at the end of the month.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2 Ghz Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6490M, 8 GB Ram
iMac 2012 3.1 Ghz Core i7, Geforce GT 650M, 16 GB Ram, 1 TB Fusion Drive

--==[L|eWiOn]==--
lewion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:58 AM   #12
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewion View Post
This is a thread I'm going to follow!

I'll be receiving mine at the end of January. 21.5" i7 1TB Fusion and 16Gb of ram... I can't wait to write reviews :-)

Are you guys able to test some more games? How well does Diablo 3 play on the GT650M? I actually haven't found any benchmarks yet. But I'm sure interested in them.

Is there a reason you guys didn't choose the i7 over the i5? (A reason that is not money related that is).

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to share my results at the end of the month.
With settings at max, plus AA and medium-high shadows, I was able to achieve 50-60 FPS in Boot Camp. I have a thread called the "21.5" GT 650M underdog" that also details more benchmark results but I'm downloading more and more games and I'll post more results here as well. The other day I was playing Batman Arkham City and on high settings I was averaging 50-60 FPS.
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020
 
Kebabselector's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, UK
My wife bought me a toasted sandwich maker!

happy with it
__________________
Mac Mini 1.66Ghz/2gb - 2.3/i5/8gb - MacBook 2.0Ghz/2gb
iPhone 4 S⃣ 32gb - iPad Mini Retina 16gb wifi
Others: Canon Eos Stuff - Passat - Smeg - Firewire devices - Prefers Matte
Kebabselector is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:40 AM   #14
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
I went with the i5 over the i7 because I don't require the use of hyper threading, and the processor and its 8 cores just would've sat idle most of the time lol. $200 for an extra 4 cores that would in no way improve my workflow...no thanks lol. Even heavy gaming doesn't require the use of hyper threading. The i5 is plenty fast for my needs, and also produces less heat.
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:08 AM   #15
N33t
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
There are some helpful posts re hyperthreading in these threads, which might be of interest to you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1501167

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499331
N33t is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewion View Post
This is a thread I'm going to follow!

I'll be receiving mine at the end of January. 21.5" i7 1TB Fusion and 16Gb of ram... I can't wait to write reviews :-)

Are you guys able to test some more games? How well does Diablo 3 play on the GT650M? I actually haven't found any benchmarks yet. But I'm sure interested in them.

Is there a reason you guys didn't choose the i7 over the i5? (A reason that is not money related that is).

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to share my results at the end of the month.
Looks like the first benchmark I'll be able to run will be Rage, as it has an FPS tool in it. Maybe the Dirt 2 demo? I know I see Dirt benchmarked on Macworld reviews and barefeats reviews of hardware, so maybe the demo has it too?
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:43 PM   #17
lewion
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kalmthout
Send a message via MSN to lewion Send a message via Skype™ to lewion
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
I went with the i5 over the i7 because I don't require the use of hyper threading, and the processor and its 8 cores just would've sat idle most of the time lol. $200 for an extra 4 cores that would in no way improve my workflow...no thanks lol. Even heavy gaming doesn't require the use of hyper threading. The i5 is plenty fast for my needs, and also produces less heat.
Thanks, it's interesting to see why you wouldn't pick the i7 I for one really need the extra processing power for photo editing + I'm an iOS developer and Xcode uses a lot of power too sometimes I also picked it up for a longer lifetime... I want this mac to last long, so that's why I maxed it out.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2 Ghz Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6490M, 8 GB Ram
iMac 2012 3.1 Ghz Core i7, Geforce GT 650M, 16 GB Ram, 1 TB Fusion Drive

--==[L|eWiOn]==--
lewion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:07 PM   #18
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Any luck?
It seems there aren't that many quality free screen recording programs for Mac that simultaneously capture FPS while recording, unless someone here knows otherwise. I've seen some on the Mac App store but they cost a pretty. Any luck benchmarking in Mac OS?

----------

Here's one: http://www.araelium.com/screenflick#3

I just want to mention that I'm happily gaming on my iMac 21.5" GT 650M, and it delivers solid performance. So far, every game has been playable (Borderlands 1,2; Hitman; Max Payne 3; GTA IV; Alan Wake). The Witcher 2 is a very demanding game, but with the some graphical tweaking and bumping down the resolution, I was able to average 30-40 FPS on high! Of worthy note, I was able to OC the 650M using MSI afterburner (core clock 1035, memory clock 1400; default clocks 900 & 1254). I also use SMC fan control to keep the GPU temp down, and use real temp and GPU-Z to monitor. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the machine, and I'm happy with the level of gaming performance. I don't mind sacrificing some graphical details for more fluid gameplay.
__________________
MBA (2012, 11", 2.0GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
iPad (3rd Generation, 64GB, Black, Wi-Fi only)
iPhone 5 (64GB, Black, AT&T)
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:30 AM   #19
Trinite
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
"The Witcher 2 is a very demanding game, but with the some graphical tweaking and bumping down the resolution, I was able to average 30-40 FPS on high!" (from MagicThief83)

Great to know! Can I ask what resolution you ended up using? Thanks!

Last edited by Trinite; Jan 9, 2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Didn't quote properly
Trinite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Trinite
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
I just want to mention that I'm happily gaming on my iMac 21.5" GT 650M, and it delivers solid performance. So far, every game has been playable (Borderlands 1,2; Hitman; Max Payne 3; GTA IV; Alan Wake). The Witcher 2 is a very demanding game, but with the some graphical tweaking and bumping down the resolution, I was able to average 30-40 FPS on high! Of worthy note, I was able to OC the 650M using MSI afterburner (core clock 1035, memory clock 1400; default clocks 900 & 1254). I also use SMC fan control to keep the GPU temp down, and use real temp and GPU-Z to monitor. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the machine, and I'm happy with the level of gaming performance. I don't mind sacrificing some graphical details for more fluid gameplay.
Hey, sorry to repeat this, but my previous message didn't quote properly, and so may have been missed. My apologies if I'm breaking etiquette.

But MagicThief, can I ask: what resolution did you have to go down to for the high settings on Witcher 2? And do you think you could play decently on native resolution at medium?

Thanks!!
Trinite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:22 PM   #21
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinite View Post
Hey, sorry to repeat this, but my previous message didn't quote properly, and so may have been missed. My apologies if I'm breaking etiquette.

But MagicThief, can I ask: what resolution did you have to go down to for the high settings on Witcher 2? And do you think you could play decently on native resolution at medium?

Thanks!!
I went down to 1366 x 768, and it still looked and ran decently. I'm not sure if OC'ing my card helped (I think it made it run a little better). I'll try running the game at native res on medium and I'll let you know what performance I get.
__________________
MBA (2012, 11", 2.0GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
iPad (3rd Generation, 64GB, Black, Wi-Fi only)
iPhone 5 (64GB, Black, AT&T)
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:53 AM   #22
Trinite
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
I went down to 1366 x 768, and it still looked and ran decently. I'm not sure if OC'ing my card helped (I think it made it run a little better). I'll try running the game at native res on medium and I'll let you know what performance I get.
Cool! Thanks so much. You're a gentleman and a scholar....
Trinite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:33 AM   #23
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Here are the benchmarks I've run:

I've got the 2.9GHz Core i5 with 8GB RAM, and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Rage (transcode benchmark) - 70 MT/s
XBench - 242.79
Geekbench - (32 bit) - 9312
Novabench - 955
Blackmagic - 107 Write / 99 Read
Unigine Heaven (default) 20.3 FPS (with 4x AA)
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:39 AM   #24
bandityo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Irishman. Do you think the 650 is giving you better performance notiably over the 640 would have? Im trying to decide between the two and do play some games, but nothing crazy.

David
bandityo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:06 PM   #25
2Turbo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandityo View Post
Irishman. Do you think the 650 is giving you better performance notiably over the 640 would have? Im trying to decide between the two and do play some games, but nothing crazy.

David
Me too. Wonder if 650m is worth it since we could OC the 640m.
2Turbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac 27" Late 2012 -- Can I use July 2012 Macbook Pro RAM? Reg88 iMac 3 Apr 18, 2013 03:23 PM
2012 MacBook Pro 15" vs 2012 iMac 27" - GPU question frankiej60 MacBook Pro 2 Dec 8, 2012 02:48 PM
iMac 21" 2012 vs iMac 27" early 2012 -BigMac- iMac 0 Dec 8, 2012 04:52 AM
Mid 2012 sMBP / late 2012 21" iMac darkanddivine Buying Tips and Advice 6 Nov 29, 2012 09:36 AM
Hypothetical 2012 iMac and 2012 MBP w/ 27" Cinema Display Comparison Jeremy M. iMac 2 Jun 25, 2012 05:26 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC