Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:01 PM   #26
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Linux/Unix - still using archaic command line (based on early limited ascii)
We've had this thing called X11 (or Quartz Extreme if your Unix comes from that fruit vendor) since ... well.. the 90s or 80s even. And the Command line, at least on all the Unix systems I use, are UTF-8 with support for UTF-16 if I wish. ASCII ? Heck, haven't heard of plain old 7 bit ASCII in almost 25 years, we've had Extended ASCII for quite a while...

What an uninformed post.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:06 PM   #27
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
This post makes no sense.

There is nothing forcing you to stay within Apple's walled garden and buy their products. No one is pointing a gun at your head and telling you to buy an iPhone 5 over a Samsung Galaxy S3. The choice is 100% yours.

If the walled garden is a massive deal to you on, say, a tablet, you have competitors to choose from. Go buy a Nexus 7 or a Microsoft Surface, no one's stopping you.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:04 PM   #28
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
This post makes no sense.

There is nothing forcing you to stay within Apple's walled garden and buy their products. No one is pointing a gun at your head and telling you to buy an iPhone 5 over a Samsung Galaxy S3. The choice is 100% yours.

If the walled garden is a massive deal to you on, say, a tablet, you have competitors to choose from. Go buy a Nexus 7 or a Microsoft Surface, no one's stopping you.
The problem would be for people that are invested in the Apple ecosystem. People that bought peripherals that implemented Apple only technology or stored media/files in a format exclusive to Apple, using proprietary technology that isn't freely implementable elsewhere.

An OS should be just an OS, your pick of formats should always be the most open possible and the devices you use should be standards compliant at all times to prevent yourself from being locked-into a single vendor for your future needs.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:06 PM   #29
phrehdd
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
We've had this thing called X11 (or Quartz Extreme if your Unix comes from that fruit vendor) since ... well.. the 90s or 80s even. And the Command line, at least on all the Unix systems I use, are UTF-8 with support for UTF-16 if I wish. ASCII ? Heck, haven't heard of plain old 7 bit ASCII in almost 25 years, we've had Extended ASCII for quite a while...

What an uninformed post.
Unix/Linux command line remains based on the limited amount of ascii when Unix first came about. Now be a good little boy and do your history and see how much larger ascii set is these days and then you just might understand what I am talking about. Yawn at flaming on line. - So passe'
phrehdd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:50 AM   #30
katewes
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
The problem would be for people that are invested in the Apple ecosystem. People that bought peripherals that implemented Apple only technology or stored media/files in a format exclusive to Apple, using proprietary technology that isn't freely implementable elsewhere.
For me it is a lot more than just having been caught investing too much in Apple apps and hardware.

Dare I admit it, but it comes down to a singular preference to use OSX rather than Windows. Sure, Windows (7) has been much better, and don't get me started about Windows 8. I far prefer OSX.

I value beauty of design. I was at the computer store today, and from my perspective all the PC notebook computers look disgustingly ugly. It's as if PC designers have a knack for making computers look like supermarket plastic packaging containers.

So, when people say no one is holding a gun to my head, I would say there are intangibles that cause me to want to use OSX.
katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:33 AM   #31
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
The problem would be for people that are invested in the Apple ecosystem. People that bought peripherals that implemented Apple only technology or stored media/files in a format exclusive to Apple, using proprietary technology that isn't freely implementable elsewhere.

An OS should be just an OS, your pick of formats should always be the most open possible and the devices you use should be standards compliant at all times to prevent yourself from being locked-into a single vendor for your future needs.
That's your fault for buying all your content from Apple then. In regards to apps it can't really be helped, but for media content it can.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #32
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Unix/Linux command line remains based on the limited amount of ascii when Unix first came about. Now be a good little boy and do your history and see how much larger ascii set is these days and then you just might understand what I am talking about. Yawn at flaming on line. - So passe'
It seems you tried to insult knightwrx in some way, but you don't actually make any sense at all. Did you vote it up yourself?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:15 AM   #33
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
that comes from the resources of $120 million cash pile
It's $120 billion. Makes you sick, doesn't it?!
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:36 AM   #34
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Unix/Linux command line remains based on the limited amount of ascii when Unix first came about. Now be a good little boy and do your history and see how much larger ascii set is these days and then you just might understand what I am talking about. Yawn at flaming on line. - So passe'
I know exactly what you're talking here.

Its called total ****.
__________________
roadbloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:43 AM   #35
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
It's $120 billion. Makes you sick, doesn't it?!
Why would it make you sick? It makes me more jealous than anything else. But hey, Apple earned it by making products people wanted to buy and were willing to pay a premium for.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:03 AM   #36
MacCruiskeen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Linux/Unix - still using archaic command line (based on early limited ascii)
Really? I'm typing this in Firefox for Linux, running on my iMac in a Virtualbox VM, Linux Mint w/KDE, a fully-developed GUI. With full Unicode support. True, there are still things that are easier to do from the CLI, but have you never opened the Terminal in OS X? The differences have become pretty small.
MacCruiskeen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:40 AM   #37
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Unix/Linux command line remains based on the limited amount of ascii when Unix first came about. Now be a good little boy and do your history and see how much larger ascii set is these days and then you just might understand what I am talking about. Yawn at flaming on line. - So passe'
Again, uh ?

Code:
$ env | grep LANG
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
That we don't use anything but characters available in the ASCII set doesn't mean it is so limited. You should really educate yourself about modern Linux/Unix systems.

And my point was that Linux/Unix is not limited to a command line to begin with either.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
Dare I admit it, but it comes down to a singular preference to use OSX rather than Windows.
Then you're not locked in. If the hardware doesn't fill your needs and you keep using it, based on some preference the problem is not the ecosystem. The problem is putting your preferences before your needs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCruiskeen View Post
Really? I'm typing this in Firefox for Linux, running on my iMac in a Virtualbox VM, Linux Mint w/KDE, a fully-developed GUI. With full Unicode support. True, there are still things that are easier to do from the CLI, but have you never opened the Terminal in OS X? The differences have become pretty small.
It's especially funny considering OS X is a Unix system. He said OS X was archaic and only used a command line limited to the 7 bit ASCII table.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:17 AM   #38
vvswarup
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
The problem would be for people that are invested in the Apple ecosystem. People that bought peripherals that implemented Apple only technology or stored media/files in a format exclusive to Apple, using proprietary technology that isn't freely implementable elsewhere.

An OS should be just an OS, your pick of formats should always be the most open possible and the devices you use should be standards compliant at all times to prevent yourself from being locked-into a single vendor for your future needs.
The fact is that you as a consumer made a conscious choice to buy an Apple product.

And your idea that an OS should be just an OS sounds great on paper. But frankly, it's a terrible business model. At the end of the day, if you can't make money, you won't be in business for very long.
vvswarup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:28 AM   #39
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post
The fact is that you as a consumer made a conscious choice to buy an Apple product.

And your idea that an OS should be just an OS sounds great on paper. But frankly, it's a terrible business model. At the end of the day, if you can't make money, you won't be in business for very long.
Boy that MS I just don't know how they've been in business for almost 40 years. That Linux adoption rate for big companies is pretty pathetic too
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:36 AM   #40
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post
The fact is that you as a consumer made a conscious choice to buy an Apple product.

And your idea that an OS should be just an OS sounds great on paper. But frankly, it's a terrible business model. At the end of the day, if you can't make money, you won't be in business for very long.
My idea has worked fine for me for years. OS X supports pretty much every standard and open format, so I can use Apple hardware and their OS and not be locked to Apple's ecosystem. I don't think you understood what I meant or you just don't know enough about what's out there.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:44 PM   #41
smoledman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Boy that MS I just don't know how they've been in business for almost 40 years. That Linux adoption rate for big companies is pretty pathetic too
Who has been hoovering all the profits the last 4 years? Not Microsoft.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:53 PM   #42
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
Who has been hoovering all the profits the last 4 years? Not Microsoft.
4 years is a rather short time.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:55 PM   #43
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
I hear you, katewes, but I'm not feeling it as much as you, perhaps.

For example, I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display with the matte screen, and will run it until it dies, when I will buy a Dell matte screen or some other. I also have a PC, Android phone and iPhone, and I use Google and Adobe products on both Apple and non-Apple devices.

I just don't feel trapped at all at the moment. Also, Windows 7 is awesome, as much as I do like OS X... Snow Leopard, at least.
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dear Tim: I don't want the "Gmail" name in my Apple ID! agustinmsosa iCloud and Apple Services 29 May 23, 2014 02:04 PM
Are there any screens that don't seem to be "warm"/"off white"? Starfyre MacBook Pro 9 Nov 4, 2013 10:33 PM
27" Apple Display as "don't buy" in MR's Buyer's Guide adamjackson Mac Peripherals 17 Apr 7, 2013 09:36 AM
How long has the iMac "Don't Buy!" recommendation been current? nnnnssss iMac 14 Jun 21, 2012 09:28 AM
"Apple stock skids" ... I don't get it. entatlrg Community Discussion 2 Jun 11, 2012 11:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC