Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I just got my iPad mini two days ago (manufactured in week 51, last week). If I look at the camera lens in the right light and at the right angle, I notice a very small hair line scratch underneath the lens cover. Also, when I insert the Lightning cable, it stays in and charges fine, but the cable is a tad wobbly.

Pictures come out perfect and the cable charges the iPad fine (doesn't fall out). I have OCD when it comes to gadgets, especially Apple products. Am I being too ridiculous and should I stop worrying?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
There's a new thread like this pretty much every day. You're going to get a mix of responses telling you that you paid a bunch of money and should demand perfection, and others saying it doesn't matter because it works perfectly and it's going to end up with minor cosmetic damage etc. over time. I think in the end people already knew what they wanted to do before posting each thread and just wanted someone else to "give them permission."

Personally, if it works perfectly, I think that's all that matters. But it's your decision if you want to do something about it.

PS - you can find plenty of threads of people who've gone through multiple rounds of returning and replacing their item in search of perfection...usually without ending up happy (at least the ones who post again)...just FYI ;)

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
"I have OCD when it comes to gadgets, especially Apple products"

nooooo, really? enjoy it, it's ment to be used, and it works just fine

saggsy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
Australia
just take it back and get a new one til you're happy with it. I too would be pissed if i took anything out of the box and it had damage or poor quality workmanship when you are advertised a pristine product.

I also dont agree with the "its going to get minor cosmetic flaws over time anyway" cause if I didnt create the defect then I may as well of bought a second hand unit for considerably less than the new purchase price.

my 2c

saggsy

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
"I have OCD when it comes to gadgets, especially Apple products"

nooooo, really? enjoy it, it's ment to be used, and it works just fine

You don't have OCD. OCD can be a crippling disease. Just because you are particular about something or like things to be "just so" doesn't mean you're OCD.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
You don't have OCD. OCD can be a crippling disease. Just because you are particular about something or like things to be "just so" doesn't mean you're OCD.

"Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions)."

So, people who are compelled to inspect all Apple products looking for the anything they believe is a defect and then starting threads about it doesn't qualify?

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I agree with everyone else. As long as it works properly. That being said, I went to purchase a mini last night for my mom and opened the box in the store to find key scratches all over the back. I swapped it within 2 min.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just got my iPad mini two days ago (manufactured in week 51, last week). If I look at the camera lens in the right light and at the right angle, I notice a very small hair line scratch underneath the lens cover. Also, when I insert the Lightning cable, it stays in and charges fine, but the cable is a tad wobbly.

Pictures come out perfect and the cable charges the iPad fine (doesn't fall out). I have OCD when it comes to gadgets, especially Apple products. Am I being too ridiculous and should I stop worrying?

My opinion is that you're being especially picky (not OCD). I wouldn't worry about the camera thing at all since the pictures come out fine. But if the wobbly connector become a problem whereby it falls out or doesn't make good contact to charge, then I'd bring it in or try a new cable.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

That 'wobbly-ness' won't change, because we're talking here about a rounded edge.

About that very, small, hair line scratch under just the right light under just the right angle... you said so yourself: photos come out perfect. Also, it is only visible when you really look for it - under the right angle... with just the right amount of light.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
There's a new thread like this pretty much every day. You're going to get a mix of responses telling you that you paid a bunch of money and should demand perfection, and others saying it doesn't matter because it works perfectly and it's going to end up with minor cosmetic damage etc. over time. I think in the end people already knew what they wanted to do before posting each thread and just wanted someone else to "give them permission."

Personally, if it works perfectly, I think that's all that matters. But it's your decision if you want to do something about it.

PS - you can find plenty of threads of people who've gone through multiple rounds of returning and replacing their item in search of perfection...usually without ending up happy (at least the ones who post again)...just FYI ;)

Completely agree. Every new ipad release creates a flurry posts from people are very picky about very tiny issues. I think with every gadget if you look hard enough you can discover some flaw that does not affect functionality. I have an ipad 3 and just happened to notice tiny display light leakage that I have not notice for months. Now I can find it but only turning my ipad at an angle I would never use the ipad at and even if it did it really would not affect functionality. I agree that most of the time it's someone wanting to confirm and give permission that its okay to return the device.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
No need for another thread!

Every person who has a complaint believes it is their right to start a new thread and since the MR admins and moderators don't do anything about it, it continues. Remember, more threads=more clicks=more [obscene] profits for mantan to complain about.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
"Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions)."

So, people who are compelled to inspect all Apple products looking for the anything they believe is a defect and then starting threads about it doesn't qualify?

Nope. It doesn't. And it certainly doesn't affect the high percentage of people who use that term on this site. About less than 1% of the population is truly OCD but about 39% of posters at macrumors.com claim they are OCD.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
If it works, then you are ridiculous. If it's affecting your pictures, you should exchange it...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

If it's not a terrible undertaking, I'd certainly take it back. You're not 100% satisfied with an expensive product.

While it may pass Apple's sell test, there's no harm in asking for a replacement. If they say no, they say no.

Don't feel bad about it.

Now if this is the 10th iPad you've found flaws with and returned, THEN you either have horrible luck or you are amazingly picky.

Still, it's your money and your time. Spend them on what's best for you.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
If you are not completely happy with it and want a perfect one, I would return it. No problem returning within 14 days for any reason. It may not matter to some here but I wouldn't want a wobbly lightening cable. Check the ones in the store to see if they are like this in general or if yours is defective. I don't understand why so many here think everyone should settle for "good enough" if it works. And wanting perfection in your brand new device isn't OCD.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
If you are not completely happy with it and want a perfect one, I would return it. No problem returning within 14 days for any reason. It may not matter to some here but I wouldn't want a wobbly lightening cable. Check the ones in the store to see if they are like this in general or if yours is defective. I don't understand why so many here think everyone should settle for "good enough" if it works. And wanting perfection in your brand new device isn't OCD.

Because some of us live in the real wor...oh ****, hang on, I just dropped my phone

:p

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012

I feel you man, I have the exact same thing. I get so frustrated when my gadgets aren't perfect. But anyway, I reccomend you that if the pictures come out fine, just don't bother but try to protect it as much as possible from now on.
Also, I noticed the wobbly lightning cable too, and it bothered me at first, but I think it is a normal thing. I've had multiple mini's and I don't think any of them didn't have it.

Btw it's probably not OCD. Probably something like hyperfocus (which I have). It's usually paired with ADD.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I feel you man, I have the exact same thing. I get so frustrated when my gadgets aren't perfect. But anyway, I reccomend you that if the pictures come out fine, just don't bother but try to protect it as much as possible from now on.
Also, I noticed the wobbly lightning cable too, and it bothered me at first, but I think it is a normal thing. I've had multiple mini's and I don't think any of them didn't have it.

Btw it's probably not OCD. Probably something like hyperfocus (which I have). It's usually paired with ADD.

It's only on gadgets. I always notice the smallest imperfections on them.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
It's only on gadgets. I always notice the smallest imperfections on them.

Exactly the same here man. I've brought back 9 mini's because each had a little speck of dust underneath the screen or a dead pixel, or a strange grey one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.