Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:32 PM   #26
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
I agree. Apple can improve. Every company can do better. But I don't think their QC has gone down. Apple now has over 50% of the smartphone market in the US. Which means there are more iPhones being used than ever before. Which means number wise, not percentage wise, there will be more people saying they have a defective product.
Apple does not have "over 50% of the smartphone market in the US". You may want to look at the whole picture instead of disinformation.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:34 PM   #27
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
You sure? That hasn't been my experience. They just told me that discoloration on the antenna seams and scratches on the back of the anodized part of the device aren't enough to replace the phone for me.

Do you have the black or white?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:35 PM   #28
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Bottom line: as soon as the Foxconn workers started complaining about how "difficult" the device was to assemble, a red flag should have been raised for me. Factor that in with the fact they had to rush to meet the demands for supply and you've got a recipe for disaster. No wonder those poor Foxconn workers are tossing themselves down staircases and off balconies.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
Do you have the black or white?
Black.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:36 PM   #29
syd430

I've so far gone through 4 iphone 5's so far. None of the issues were related to cosmetic issues like scratches etc, but actual hardware issues.Maybe i'm just an extreme outlier.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:37 PM   #30
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Apple does not have "over 50% of the smartphone market in the US". You may want to look at the whole picture instead of disinformation.
Perhaps you need to read once in awhile.
http://news.investors.com/technology...rosoft-rim.htm
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:39 PM   #31
syd430

Quote:
The numbers say they do.

And as someone told you in another thread, the source is reliable despite what you think.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:39 PM   #32
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
I've so far gone through 4 iphone 5's so far. None of the issues were related to cosmetic issues like scratches etc, but actual hardware issues.Maybe i'm just an extreme outlier.
What were the issues your phones had?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:40 PM   #33
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Bottom line: as soon as the Foxconn workers started complaining about how "difficult" the device was to assemble, a red flag should have been raised for me. Factor that in with the fact they had to rush to meet the demands for supply and you've got a recipe for disaster. No wonder those poor Foxconn workers are tossing themselves down staircases and off balconies.

----------

Black.
I've always had black iPhones. this time i got the white. i love the finish on the backside. Both look awesome though - when flawless.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:40 PM   #34
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:

What are you thoughts?

Oh NO, not ANOTHER quality post!
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:41 PM   #35
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So, I just bought an ip5 as a christmas gift, and they could charge it using their imac, but not using the standard wall charger. faulty charging cube.

i'm finally going to give in and admit that APPLE's QC has gone done the crapper.

Saddens me to say it to because I've been loyal with APPLE from 2001 - now

Luckily their customer service is superb, so I'll stick around a little longer.

Or maybe it's because I've joined this forum that I notice the faults more easily. It just seems every 5th thread is a complaint lately.

What are you thoughts?

Yeah because our of millions of phones produced, millions of cords, millions of wall adapters and yours is faulty Apple's QC is going to the crapper... yep it must be true.

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 PM   #36
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Perhaps you need to read once in awhile.
http://news.investors.com/technology...rosoft-rim.htm
Perhaps you should actually read the original report and see that it is only statistically measuring sales for a specific 12 week period and not for overall marketshare or even for this year. These are not even sales numbers, just statistical measurements. Would you like some reports about how Apple's marketshare is dropping in Europe and China where Apple is only a bit player now?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
The numbers say they do.

And as someone told you in another thread, the source is reliable despite what you think.
See comment above.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:43 PM   #37
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

My boss, who has an iPhone 4, was joking with me today about all these exchanges I've been going through. He said that eventually Apple was going to shut me off and tell me to go back to Android. I gotta admit, at this point that doesn't seem like such a bad thing. I just hate big phones, and most Androids are getting bigger as the days pass.

----------

Quote:
I've always had black iPhones. this time i got the white. i love the finish on the backside. Both look awesome though - when flawless.
Agree. Love the design, hate the issues it comes with. Double edged sword I guess.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:44 PM   #38
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Perhaps you should actually read the original report and see that it is only statistically measuring sales for a specific 12 week period and not for overall marketshare or even for this year. These are not even sales numbers, just statistical measurements. Would you like some reports about how Apple's marketshare is dropping in Europe and China where Apple is only a bit player now?

----------

See comment above.
Apparently you still cant read. In the last 12 week period, Apple has moved to 53% share of smartphone market, which MEANS they currently have a 53% share of the market in the US. Any questions, or is that still beyond your understanding?
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:46 PM   #39
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Yeah because our of millions of phones produced, millions of chords, millions of wall adapters and yours is faulty Apple's QC is going to the crapper... yep it must be true.
How is that a helpful response?

----------

Quote:
Apparently you still cant read. In the last 12 week period, Apple has moved to 53% share of smartphone market, which MEANS they currently have a 53% share of the market in the US. Any questions, or is that still beyond your understanding?
Do you think if I called Apple and spoke to them that way they'd be more inclined to help me out?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:46 PM   #40
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, Apple doesn't. You have totally not read the report. You don't even understand what the report was for.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:48 PM   #41
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No, Apple doesn't. You have totally not read the report. You don't even understand what the report was for.
You really need to read. Read and read again.

"Kantar Worldpanel ComTech shows Apple reached a 53.3% share in the 12 weeks ended Nov. 25. Phones based on the Google (GOOG) Android operating system, collectively, held the second spot with a 42% share."
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:50 PM   #42
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:

"Kantar Worldpanel ComTech shows Apple reached a 53.3% share in the 12 weeks ended Nov. 25. Phones based on the Google (GOOG) Android operating system, collectively, held the second spot with a 42% share."
53% versus 42% isn't exactly like Apple is running away with the market, dude.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:51 PM   #43
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
53% versus 42% isn't exactly like Apple is running away with the market, dude.
Again, did I say they were running away with it? I said they had a 53% share.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:51 PM   #44
syd430

Quote:

----------

See comment above.
Given that not all OEM's disclose sales numbers it's actually impossible to know the exact percentage using public data.

Quote:
just statistical measurements
I take it that you have never taken any form of statistics at a university level.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #45
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Again, did I say they were running away with it? I said they had a 53% share.
What do you mean "we're"? Are you Phil Schiller? I'm seeing a connection now...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:54 PM   #46
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
How is that a helpful response?
It shows OP is full of drama saying Apple QC has gone to the crapper..... A few issues when millions of phones are produced does not = QC issues

Quote:
Y when Apple clearly won't return the favor.
By NOT returning the phone you would be a thief, so you did do the right thing. Doing the right thing when it's easy to not do it is what makes people like you and I "better" than those that don't.
Found a wallet the other day. The guy had a lot of money in it, didn't count it because it wasn't my money. He had his wallet returned to him with all contents. Sure it would of been easy to take the cash, but my integrity is more important than some cash. How many would take the cash? I would bet the majority of users here on MR would even if they say they wouldn't.... PLUS I bet the majority WOULD keep the phone.

Those types of people make me think of a quote from Pure Country.... "You know... it's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken ****.... but that little white speck is chicken **** too". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GTLM89pN0A

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:55 PM   #47
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Quote:
Apple (AAPL), for the first time, has exceeded a 50% market share in U.S. smartphones, boosted by the strength of its iPhone 5.
Kantar Worldpanel ComTech shows Apple reached a 53.3% share in the 12 weeks ended Nov. 25. Phones based on the Google (GOOG) Android operating system, collectively, held the second spot with a 42% share.
"Apple has reached a major milestone in the U.S. by passing the 50% share mark for the first time, with further gains expected to be made during December," Dominic Sunnebo, a director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, said in the firm's report.

In Europe, Android retains the highest share with 61%, led by Samsung's 44% share in the latest 12 weeks. Apple was No. 2 with 25%, followed by HTC, Sony and Nokia (NOK) in a tight race for third.
The dominance of Apple and Android has been bad news for Research In Motion (RIMM), Nokia and Microsoft (MSFT) Windows. Nokia bases all its new phones on Windows.
In Europe, Apple is strongest in the U.K., where it has a 36% share. Smartphone penetration in the U.K. hit 60% in the latest 12 weeks, with 83% of all mobile phone sales being smartphones.
Apple shares were down 1%, near 515.20, in afternoon trading Friday.
There's the whole report. Where is it confusing about the iPhone having a 53% market share in the US?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:56 PM   #48
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:

What part of only measure 12 weeks and not the whole year or the overall market in the US don't you understand? And what part of these aren't actual sales numbers but statistically measured values with a margin of error don't you understand? You seem to only care for these 12 weeks. How about we look at other 12 weeks or maybe 24 weeks? Or gosh, darn it, how about 52 weeks?

Before you spread more fud, let's look at the original Kantar company press release for this report, shall we?

Quote:
The latest smartphone sales data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech shows Apple has achieved its highest ever share in the US (53.3%) in the latest 12 weeks*, with the iPhone 5 helping to boost sales. In Europe, however, Android retains the highest share with 61% of the market, up from 51.8% a year ago.
* 12 w/e 25th November 2012
http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/glob...ne-share-in-US
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:56 PM   #49
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wow you really are intellectually disabled. That is whole market share in the US of smartphones NOT of a 12 week period. You are only digging yourself into a hole.

When it says in the latest 12 weeks it means thats when it hit that figure! Not thats the period of measurement. It means sometime in the last 12 weeks it reached that percentage!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:57 PM   #50
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
It shows OP is full of drama saying Apple QC has gone to the crapper..... A few issues when millions of phones are produced does not = QC issues

By NOT returning the phone you would be a thief, so you did do the right thing. Doing the right thing when it's easy to not do it is what makes people like you and I "better" than those that don't.
Found a wallet the other day. The guy had a lot of money in it, didn't count it because it wasn't my money. He had his wallet returned to him with all contents. Sure it would of been easy to take the cash, but my integrity is more important than some cash.
For sure, I was raised to be honest. But you can see how now, when I need some assistance, Apple is telling me to go F myself. It's kinda ironic. That was basically my point. And would I technically have been a "thief" when they sent me the device accidentally? It's a tough call. Some people might call that flat out lucky.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone