Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I made the switch from BB when the iPhone 5 came out and am so glad that I made the switch, however one thing I really miss is being able to swap out batteries, if necessary. Anyone think Apple will ever give this to us? I would think they would love the opportunity to sell extra batteries to us!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Battery technology is improving and manufacturers are moving away from the replaceable battery. Battery covers just make phones look cheap.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I hope this video explains some questions about Apple's battery designs and technology.

http://youtu.be/w6lLdFxiZPc

Just like everyone else, when I first read the specs about the IP5's hardware along with the 1440mAh battery, nothing makes sense at all until some 3rd party iPhone parts dealer puts the IP5's logic board under a microscope and confirms all the chipsets nm specs.

If you compare the CPUs, GPUs, the size of the phone, size of the screen, the multi region LTE bands, the battery life and look at the benchmark results, no other manufacture comes close. After all that, look at how smooth iOS runs and how efficient battery life can be with heavy usage in a "strong signal area"

Imagine if Apple made a massive 5.5" phone, Quad Core CPU & GPU, 2GB RAM and accompanied with a 3000mAh battery? It would be 2-3x faster then the Note 2, last 2-3x longer and perform 2-3x faster. Android needs all that horse power just to stay a live with all their manufacture skins, blotware and sketchy OS builds.

My iPhone 3G still runs very strong on the original battery, it's all about how condition the battery and your signal strengths plays a major role on battery life. Apple should stay away from dev a new form of battery material, if they did that they would blow all their money in R&D like Nokia and end up like Nokia, making prototype phones that will never see the light of day.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I made the switch from BB when the iPhone 5 came out and am so glad that I made the switch, however one thing I really miss is being able to swap out batteries, if necessary. Anyone think Apple will ever give this to us? I would think they would love the opportunity to sell extra batteries to us!

No.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
One of the reasons for not allowing battery access is that Apple wants everyone to replace the entire phone after about 2 years (typical battery life)--so no I doubt we'll ever see iPhone with battery access.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I hope not, because imo it makes the device look and feel cheap. I once dropped my old blackberry and the batt. door broke, wouldn't go back on. Had to use it all tacky for a week. :cool:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
You all know the 4/4S back panel was pretty much a battery cover secured by screws right?

Yes but you couldn't just swap the battery easily as you could with other devices.

And no we will never have battery access to easily change out the battery.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Like the rest said above.
Looks like the industry is going the other way.
So instead we will see less and less user replaceble batteries.
I hope we will finally come across some revolutionary battery concept that lasts way longer than todays standars, charges faster and lives longer.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
And you don't always have to make a bigger battery. You make the phone more energy efficient. Less power hungry chip, More efficient LTE, A screen that consumes less power and so on. Why improve the battery, if you can improve the hardware. You can double, and triple the battery life by making the phone's operating hardware and software more efficient.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
In all my years with iPod/iPad/iPhone I can say that personally I have never had a battery issue.

My niece had an issue with a very old iPod and Apple made it right for her.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Take a look at the back of the iPhone 5. Now assuming that removable battery is a desirable feature, how would you add one without making it thicker and introduce gaps, creak, etc. It is a huge challenge with questionable benefit.

I used to have Palm phones with removable battery. The only time I ever removed the battery was to access the reset button. I did later on found a use for it: turn out there was enough of a gap between the battery and its cover to keep a folded $20 bill for emergency. The added bill also help keeps the battery cover from creaking.

I don't miss removable batteries and the compromises they entail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.