Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
flavr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Millions of iPad minis are being sold...soooo

millions of iPad minis are being sold...soooo I'm wondering, with Apple absolutely having to be support this hardware for 2-3 years minimum...will that actually hold back advancements in the OS, apps and games (short/long term)? Lets say apple dropped in the A6X (if it was even technically possible), it would have moved forward the advancement of software...

That being said, it's curious why apple didn't at least drop in 1GB of RAM with the A5 chip to keep things speedy longer...
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
That being said, it's curious why apple didn't at least drop in 1GB of RAM with the A5 chip to keep things speedy longer...
So they could save it for the iPad Mini 2 with retina display and A6X.
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:31 PM   #3
flavr
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
So they could save it for the iPad Mini 2 with retina display and A6X.
I agree...but now they have ten of millions of minis sold with the A5 and 512RAM that needs to be supported till 2015-16, kinda biting them in the arse...

On the ther hand, if hardware specs are kept "current", software will progress at a faster pace overall...
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
nah. First of all I would expect Apple to drop support for iPads about 3.5 yrs from release to keep a steady profit flow... That will equate to 2 major updates. I don't see many huge burdonsome advances in the OS that will cause the hardware to falter in that short of a timeframe. And if there is Apple will simply drop support for that particular feature for that device. That's what they have done in the past (sure some is artificial limiting too, but there have been some legitimate hardware limitations)
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
iPod owner since 2006 | Mac owner since 2007
iPhone owner since 2008 | iPad owner since 2011
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:39 AM   #5
dsa1971
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
I agree...but now they have ten of millions of minis sold with the A5 and 512RAM that needs to be supported till 2015-16, kinda biting them in the arse...

On the ther hand, if hardware specs are kept "current", software will progress at a faster pace overall...
What's your definition of support? Apple releases iOS devices you get 2-3 firmware updates then nothing after that.
dsa1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:45 AM   #6
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
I agree...but now they have ten of millions of minis sold with the A5 and 512RAM that needs to be supported till 2015-16, kinda biting them in the arse...
By jove, I think you have stumbled upon something Apple clearly never considered.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
By jove, I think you have stumbled upon something Apple clearly never considered.
I'm always amazed when someone on the Internet figures out something that all if Apple's product planners missed.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:29 PM   #8
shenan1982
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I'm always amazed when someone on the Internet figures out something that all if Apple's product planners missed.
I think he was being sarcastic. :-)
shenan1982 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
I think he was being sarcastic. :-)
They both were.

Funny how the ipad 2 just keeps on ticking.
AppleRobert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:59 PM   #10
shenan1982
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
They both were.

Funny how the ipad 2 just keeps on ticking.
Well some are still in warranty, and Apple's auto-destruct feature is set to activate 1 day after the last warranty expires :-)
shenan1982 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a
 
Paulywauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Durham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
I agree...but now they have ten of millions of minis sold with the A5 and 512RAM that needs to be supported till 2015-16, kinda biting them in the arse...
I disagree, did you own a first gen iPad? Completely reinvigorated the tablet market selling millions. It was released April 2010, ran like a hog when we all upgraded to IOS5 18 months later (only about 4 months after they stopped selling it) No software support from Apple 26 months later with release of IOS6 (only a year after Apple stopped selling it).

I love my Apple products as much as the next fanboy, but Apple has no issue in not provisioning brand new first gen products with the hardware needed to run software in the long term. The iPad Mini may be a similar story.

Even if it did end up with IOS 8/9 on it you most likely won't get access to many of the big features. Siri is a great example of this. The iPad 2 doesnt have Siri, but the Mini with the near identical performance and components does.
__________________
I admit it, i spend too much on products
Paulywauly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:58 PM   #12
flavr
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulywauly View Post
I disagree, did you own a first gen iPad? Completely reinvigorated the tablet market selling millions. It was released April 2010, ran like a hog when we all upgraded to IOS5 18 months later (only about 4 months after they stopped selling it) No software support from Apple 26 months later with release of IOS6 (only a year after Apple stopped selling it).

I love my Apple products as much as the next fanboy, but Apple has no issue in not provisioning brand new first gen products with the hardware needed to run software in the long term. The iPad Mini may be a similar story.

Even if it did end up with IOS 8/9 on it you most likely won't get access to many of the big features. Siri is a great example of this. The iPad 2 doesnt have Siri, but the Mini with the near identical performance and components does.
I did have an iPad 1 and you make a great point...that being said its a *****ty way to welcome all the millions of potentially new iPad users by not supporting the hardware for a reasonable amount of time...bringing me back to my point that had Apple at least dropped in 1GB of RAM, it would have help increase that longevity...RAM makes a huge difference and honestly was the limiting factor in the iPad 1...
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a
 
Paulywauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Durham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
I did have an iPad 1 and you make a great point...that being said its a *****ty way to welcome all the millions of potentially new iPad users by not supporting the hardware for a reasonable amount of time...bringing me back to my point that had Apple at least dropped in 1GB of RAM, it would have help increase that longevity...RAM makes a huge difference and honestly was the limiting factor in the iPad 1...
Yup RAM is defiantly the key here isn't it? Best example I can think of is the close release of 1st gen iPad & the iPhone 4. Despite being a slower device in every way the iPhone 4 still runs both ios5/6 like a champ due to having as much ram as even current products such as the Mini. I loved my first gen iPad, it was a real game changer but it suffered from a severe rack of ram. I just hope the mini is different, mine arrives next week lol
__________________
I admit it, i spend too much on products
Paulywauly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
i would love to see the return figures for the iPad Mini
Medic311 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:22 AM   #15
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
i would love to see the return figures for the iPad Mini
What would that show, and what what you conclude from them (whatever they happened to be)?
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:32 AM   #16
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
So they could save it for the iPad Mini 2 with retina display and A6X.
Fro the love of god drop it. The A6X can not be just used in a mini. It requires 42 Watt battery to power the retina display on the iPad 4 for 9-10 hours.

The mini battery is 15 Watt. The power efficiency of the A6X is just not good enough to run a 2048x1536 resolution display on the mini without seriously effecting its battery life dramatically alongside repercussions of additional heat generated and dispersed in the smaller device (the iPad 4 still runs warm like the iPad 3)...
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:01 AM   #17
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Fro the love of god drop it. The A6X can not be just used in a mini.
!!

This incessant focus on the number one criterium being a few characters etched into a piece of silicon in a device encompassing myriad components is a trap that companies like Intel set years ago, and people still keep falling for it today. We shouldn't care one bit whether the number inside the latest device is one greater than the number inside yesterday's device, that is what the chip manufacturers want us to think about, but what we consumers should care about is whether it runs the apps we want to run, and runs them well. That is the criterium that matters, and that's what Apple is desperately trying to move toward (not reporting details of its components). The criteria that matter are criteria actually associated with tangible and measurable benefits to the consumer.

We consumers care about whether apps run, whether there are lags in the running or loading of them, whether the battery life is long enough, whether the weight and size and thickness of a device in which the device sits is comfortable for our uses and whether there are enough apps to run on the device available in the market. Tech oriented people, if they got their way and were allowed to design these products, would build totally unusable devices (too heavy, too ugly, too fat, too large), "but they'd be fast," they'd tell us.

There's a reason the engineers don't design products, but rather implement the designs that others come up with - because the products have to be usable by and appealing to everyone else.
WilliamLondon is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:05 AM   #18
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
!!

This incessant focus on the number one criterium being a few characters etched into a piece of silicon in a device encompassing myriad components is a trap that companies like Intel set years ago, and people still keep falling for it today. We shouldn't care one bit whether the number inside the latest device is one greater than the number inside yesterday's device, that is what the chip manufacturers want us to think about, but what we consumers should care about is whether it runs the apps we want to run, and runs them well. That is the criterium that matters, and that's what Apple is desperately trying to move toward (not reporting details of its components). The criteria that matter are criteria actually associated with tangible and measurable benefits to the consumer.

We consumers care about whether apps run, whether there are lags in the running or loading of them, whether the battery life is long enough, whether the weight and size and thickness of a device in which the device sits is comfortable for our uses and whether there are enough apps to run on the device available in the market. Tech oriented people, if they got their way and were allowed to design these products, would build totally unusable devices (too heavy, too ugly, too fat, too large), "but they'd be fast," they'd tell us.

There's a reason the engineers don't design products, but rather implement the designs that others come up with - because the products have to be usable by and appealing to everyone else.

And thank goodness most of the users on this forum aren't engineers or designers at Apple because undoubtably we'd end up with this

__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:54 AM   #19
Piccio
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Actual iPad Mini will be on market untill IGZO display will be diffuse and not too expensive, in order to keep it "Mini" and light. No "Retina" versione, I guess.
Piccio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:31 AM   #20
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
I would assume millions are being sold, but again, we have no numbers of how many went out the doors, or how many came back in. All we have is anecdotal evidence and (what I think are) manipulated shortages at some locations (apparently).

The processor speed (I don't care about the number painted on the outside, but it does matter what happens on the inside) and RAM are crucial. In my case, as much as I loved the iPad 1, it's lack of RAM meant that it literally could not open many of my PDFs. The iPad 2? No problem. So, I had to upgrade. Rendering of PDFs on the 2 and 3 is painfully slow for me (usually with scanned and OCR'd PDFs), but at least I finally have a perfect (?) display with the 3. I suspect the 4 is faster, but in my brief tests, not significantly so. We need more RAM and faster processors for a lot of activities, and for my use case, the Mini is already years behind.

I am not saying there isn't a market for it. There is also a market for the small iPod. However, the fact remains that if you desire more performance, you need to switch to Android (all sorts of issues with that, of course), or upgrade to an iPhone / large ipad.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:03 PM   #21
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
This is why hardware, to some extent, does matter. In trying to keep legacy devices in the loop of updates, iOS can never make dramatic leaps forward, which gives rise to Apple's incremental update philosophy, which in my opinion hurts the users who are hoping for more with each update.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
What would that show, and what what you conclude from them (whatever they happened to be)?
do i even have to answer this question? what do you mean what would it show??? it would show how many people returned the iPad Mini..............

the conclusion would be determined by what the return numbers are.


sheeesh
Medic311 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:34 PM   #23
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Fro the love of god drop it. The A6X can not be just used in a mini. It requires 42 Watt battery to power the retina display on the iPad 4 for 9-10 hours.

The mini battery is 15 Watt. The power efficiency of the A6X is just not good enough to run a 2048x1536 resolution display on the mini without seriously effecting its battery life dramatically alongside repercussions of additional heat generated and dispersed in the smaller device (the iPad 4 still runs warm like the iPad 3)...
You should work for Apple or something with that sort of knowledge (probably found on wikipedia).

Using the words "can not" is pretty premature in today's world. Apple cannot release a tablet because no one will buy it. Apple cannot make a 4-inch iPhone because it will cause fragmentation.

Your basing everything off previous devices on a device that surely is going to get new and better technology. People doubted that Apple could produce a Retina display for the iPhone 4, they did. They did it again with the iPad. Its going to happen with the Mini.

Apple is going to find ways around those issues, make compromises, and leave some for the 3rd generation to fix. That's Apple. By your logic Apple should have used the A5 chip for the iPad 1 because the A4 obviously didn't help it get iOS 6 update. The iPad 3 also should have gotten the A6X instead of the A5X so it wouldn't have those problems people were having.
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:40 PM   #24
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
It all cums down to what you can do with 512mb (or 320 available to the OS) for iOS 7, 8 etc. I suspect iOS 7 will run, but like a dog. By then it'll be time to throw away your old idevice and buy a shiney new one!
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:10 PM   #25
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
You should work for Apple or something with that sort of knowledge (probably found on wikipedia).

Using the words "can not" is pretty premature in today's world. Apple cannot release a tablet because no one will buy it. Apple cannot make a 4-inch iPhone because it will cause fragmentation.

Your basing everything off previous devices on a device that surely is going to get new and better technology. People doubted that Apple could produce a Retina display for the iPhone 4, they did. They did it again with the iPad. Its going to happen with the Mini.

Apple is going to find ways around those issues, make compromises, and leave some for the 3rd generation to fix. That's Apple. By your logic Apple should have used the A5 chip for the iPad 1 because the A4 obviously didn't help it get iOS 6 update. The iPad 3 also should have gotten the A6X instead of the A5X so it wouldn't have those problems people were having.
Wikipedia.. oh my you are such a funny guy. All your friends (well the folks you chat to on XBLA and convince yourself they are you're friends must be in perpetual stitches at your comic routine all the time).....


And on the contrary, you are the one trying to shoehorn current technology into a device. Shove an A6X into this despite the fact that it is currently inefficient, pack a retina display in now because they must have them because the iphone and iPod have retina, despite understanding that 320dpi is vastly different display technology than 450+ dpi required to keep the same 4x scaling.

We have been saying all along it will require advances in battery, CPU & GPU, and display technology to give the iPad mini a retina display and that's the reason apple did not release the mini with the retina display, not because they wanted a cheaper model, but because the technology wasn't ready for that particular device.

When the iPad mini does get a retina at the end of next year, it will be with new display technology, a new CPU & GPU technology/revision and possible new battery technology required to keep the same battery life despite the extra power resources required by the more powerful hardware.

Until then there won't be a retina mini, and this includes one being ready for March as you keep asserting over and over like a broken old record..
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung sold 40 million tablets in 2013; aim to sell 100 millions in 2014 EbookReader Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 5 Jan 1, 2014 09:19 PM
iPad: Soooo .... which ipad air r u buying? lamonsas iPad 44 Oct 31, 2013 01:52 PM
iPad Mini: Had 2 iPad Minis replaced already HarryHoodlum iPad 5 Nov 24, 2012 08:49 AM
are millions of people still going to line up for ipad 4? koban4max iPad 6 Oct 24, 2012 05:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC