Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:00 PM   #26
bluewooster
macrumors member

I use handbrake and the picture settings under preview to crop for a full 16x9 experience. I agree that the film feels more present and the details more crisp.

I will admit (for those purists out there who seem to think I'm committing sacrilege) that occasionally a scene comes up where I realize that cropping has cut out fundamental details (I'm not talking aesthetic details) but, usually, we end up watching the whole thing without noticing.

I'd check out handbrake. Under picture settings, you need to select custom and deselect "keep aspect ratio". I then change the picture to 1920x1080. Then I use the cropping settings so you don't get tall "alien" actors! (Usually about 158 from each side). I'm still experimenting though - if someone knows a better way (and is willing to admit it), I'd like to hear.
bluewooster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater