Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kristina85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hallo,
(a Mac Book User here)

I want a simple thing from my music player and but none of the the current software does this anymore:

I have a folder on my C: drive called "Music" (yes, that simple). And my music is organized there perfectly (for me, that is). Now I only need to find a player that would allow me to drag this folder structure + music files onto my ipod(+ipad) and play it from there. 10 years ago I had a cheap USB-type Sony music player that could do exactly this. No frills, no cool functions, just a simple copy and paste and I was done and happy with it. I am looking for the same for my ipad and ipod.
After several hours of looking on the web and trying stuff out, I still don't see any alternative. Is there really no software that would enable me to do such as simple thing?
Much obliged for your help,

Kristina

PS.
If you want a more detailed explanation:

Itunes forces me to import my music and have it organized by artist, album, date added etc. (you know the drill). The outcome is a horrible mess and I need to spend hours to re-lable and re-organize the imports. This is party because plenty of my music is not the typical stuff you get from the web. There's a lot of foreign music, music you can't get in the stores or get info for on the web and about 10% of my music is private production that not yet been published. Furthemore, for my own purposes I sometimes need to organize my music accroding to the people I received it from (hence a folder with the name: music from Peter etc.). Last but not least hundreds of songs after import appear in Itunes only as "audiotrack+number".
I understand the advantages of organizing music in Itunes but I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT as I already have a structure that works for me (sorry, need to repeat this).
Ideally I'd use Itunes only for managing my apps + podcasts. For music, I want a different software. My ipad + ipod differ significantly in the content of what apps I have on them + their storage size. Hence I can't use auto-sync either.
I have tried, amongst others, the following:
loola
songbird
Free TransPod
MediaMonkey (the only one which does allow you to organize your music according to location on your hard-drive, but the interface is horribly clunky...can't really use it for my purposes).
+ a few others I don't recall their names.

None of these would do the trick for me.
Is there really no solution for such a simple demand?

Kristina85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hey guys, i have 916 views but no reply. Does this really mean there's no alternative? It seems so.
I have to say that I question the "progress" we've made in some areas in recent years (esp. when it comes to user experience). For me, Apple has become what Microsoft has been for a long time - forcing a certain platform (Itunes and the way it functions) onto everybody despite that fact that it's a crapy product. I need to spend now several hours reorganizing something that is already beautifully organized on my hard-drive just to get it onto my ipad+ipod in a way that can I still make sense of it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
First, you're confusing file naming and folder structure with the metatags in the music files. You can have a file name of "asdgrfuio.mp3" and yet have the proper song name, artist, album, track number, etc. display in iTunes. Likewise, you can have the proper information in the file name but have wrong or missing information in the tags. The file names and the tag info are not related.

If you have a file/folder structure you want to keep, go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck these boxes:
attachment.php
Now when you import your Music folder into iTunes, it won't make copies and it won't manage your music files.

The next issue is getting your tag information accurate. This can take some time and effort. Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

Here are a few scripts that I've found particularly useful:

iTunes isn't the problem. You simply need to learn how to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.