Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:02 PM   #26
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Also I might like to point out those right wing wing nuts you oh so much love ...

Did you start using drugs during your recent time-out?
rdowns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:13 PM   #27
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I blame the Democrats, Republicans and administration for all pointing fingers and playing the blame game. They need to get their head out of their asses and get to work.
The vast majority of federal workers don't campaign for or hold political office. They should not be put in the same group as the politicians and parties you disdain. These workers have gone two years without any pay raise, which is the equivalent of taking about a 4% pay cut as the cost of living has risen. I urge you to not take your anger over politics out on these workers.
citizenzen is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:18 PM   #28
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The vast majority of federal workers don't campaign for or hold political office. They should not be put in the same group as the politicians and parties you disdain. These workers have gone two years without any pay raise, which is the equivalent of taking about a 4% pay cut as the cost of living has risen. I urge you to not take your anger over politics out on these workers.
The cost of living has gone up for everyone, unfortunately not everyone is a federal employee. Don't they get a lot of perks as it is? What is the base salary for an average federal employee?

Found this.
http://www.fedsdatacenter.com/federal-pay-rates/
A lot of them seem to be doing fairly well.

And there is this
http://www.opm.gov/feddata/html/prof0010.asp
The average salary for a full time permanent federal employee is $76,231 as of 2010

Last edited by MacNut; Dec 29, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:44 PM   #29
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
The average salary for a full time permanent federal employee is $76,231 as of 2010
Which is more than the average person will make at McStabucksBurgerWay but how does it compare to wages made at compareable private enterprises ?

I still don't see what the big fuss is about, here in Germany we have the same "we don't have any money" argument every 1-2 years when the payment for state/federal employees is up for negotiations.

In the end they'll get about 90% of the rise other organized employees get in other fields while retaining some extra benifits.

Who will be left out are those not represented by big unions. Read those working at smaller companies and as temp-workers.
Bug-Creator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:46 PM   #30
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
The cost of living has gone up for everyone, unfortunately not everyone is a federal employee. Don't they get a lot of perks as it is? What is the base salary for an average federal employee?

Found this.
http://www.fedsdatacenter.com/federal-pay-rates/
A lot of them seem to be doing fairly well.

And there is this
http://www.opm.gov/feddata/html/prof0010.asp
Adjusted for locality pay..

https://www.opm.gov/oca/12tables/html/gs.asp

Here is the GS pay chart

https://www.opm.gov/oca/12tables/pdf/saltbl.pdf

Here is the locality chart

=================

This federal employee gets to work government shut down or not, paid or not I am "mission critical". FLSA doesn't apply to federal employees overseas…The grass is not always greener
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:46 PM   #31
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
Which is more than the average person will make at McStabucksBurgerWay but how does it compare to wages made at compareable private enterprises ?

I still don't see what the big fuss is about, here in Germany we have the same "we don't have any money" argument every 1-2 years when the payment for state/federal employees is up for negotiations.

In the end they'll get about 90% of the rise other organized employees get in other fields while retaining some extra benifits.

Who will be left out are those not represented by big unions. Read those working at smaller companies and as temp-workers.
Federal employees are not hurting considered they get full healthcare. They could do without the increase while the rest of the country is on the brink of collapse.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:01 PM   #32
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Federal employees are not hurting considered they get full healthcare. They could do without the increase while the rest of the country is on the brink of collapse.
I smell some envy here

Again it's really a question wether it goes down to bottom end of the pay-scale.

People barely making a living (wether employed by the state or not) getting hit by inflation is NOT gonna help the US recover from whatever problem it is in.
Bug-Creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:02 PM   #33
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
I smell some envy here

Again it's really a question wether it goes down to bottom end of the pay-scale.

People barely making a living (wether employed by the state or not) getting hit by inflation is NOT gonna help the US recover from whatever problem it is in.
Inflation is killing us, but so is a lack of intrest rates. My savings used to do well on interest now they barely move.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:12 PM   #34
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
But that would require them doing there job. Clearly they are not
Fundamentally there is a chicken and egg situation. You have to do something to attract quality people who aren't idealists.

Quote:
Don't basically all college educated employees who work for large organisations get full healthcare?

----------

Quote:
I would love to see these people get out of the spotlight and photo ops and actually do right for the country. I dont care what their base wants, 30% of the country is not the majority. These people should be thinking down the middle and coming together on a long term plan.
So you don't want idealists in charge, you want realists.

Realists are going to want proper compensation - it goes with the territory.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:27 PM   #35
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Fundamentally there is a chicken and egg situation. You have to do something to attract quality people who aren't idealists.
Well as it stands I just do not see that happening due to the gerrymandering.districts. Right now who wins is mostly decided in the primaries and people who vote in those tend to be your idealist. Relatively few congressman really have to represent their people any more. It is rather sad.

The US legistators are the highest paid in the world so clearly we are doing something wrong as they are pretty much worthless right now.

Quote:
Don't basically all college educated employees who work for large organisations get full healthcare
Yep. Also before we get the standard argument how the average federal worker makes more than the average american it should be pointed out that most federal workers have college degrees (by far higher than the average american) That really throse off the numbers when you do not have to factor in the low paying jobs into the averages.

now readjust things you will find out they make less than the equivalent positions in the private sector . It used to be they provided extra stability and generally better benefits. Now both the pay and benefits are starting to fall behind the private sector.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:39 PM   #36
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
The US legistators are the highest paid in the world so clearly we are doing something wrong as they are pretty much worthless right now.
In Singapore in 2008 MP's got S$225,000 or US$183,000 (source). Currently members of US congress earn US$174,000 (source), which is lower.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:46 PM   #37
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
In Singapore in 2008 MP's got S$225,000 or US$183,000 (source). Currently members of US congress earn US$174,000 (source), which is lower.
Perhaps it's performance-related.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:48 PM   #38
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Perhaps it's performance-related.
Yeah, if you read the source it is performance related for ministers - and it is also linked to the top pay in a series of private sector jobs.

Ministers get S$2 million a year so they get the equivalent of what they'd get in the private sector.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:17 PM   #39
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Get back to me when the Republicans are willing to talk about cutting the defense budget.
Does anyone in the US talk about cutting the defense budget? I think the 'cuts' that get talked about are usually just reductions in increases. 2012 spending was 30 billion up on 2011 spending. That kinda puts the topic of this thread in context.
unlinked is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:25 PM   #40
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
This President never ceases to astound me. This is not a man committed to fiscal responsibility, and here he proves it again..
Yeah, well...your attacks on anything Obama or left leaning never ceases to astound me. Guess that makes things even. LOL
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:03 PM   #41
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Fair enough.

This also could be a ploy to get more taxes by giving them raises. It just doesn't look good seeing someone in government get a pay raise while we are about to go over the cliff.
I don't think this is the time for raises either, but the thousands of federal employees are subject to the same capriciousness as the rest of us.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues