Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:12 AM   #1
gdourado
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
2012 21.5 iMac. How bad is the HDD for real?

Hello,

So I have been reading some reviews of the 2012 21.5 iMac.
All the reviews say the screen is really good, the CPU has enough power and the build quality and design is great.
I know the base model does not have the best and fastest GPU and CPU out there, but I don't think they compromise the product.

What puts me off from reading the reviews is the hdd.
The 21.5 comes with a 5400 rpm drive as opposed to the 7200 rpm drive on the 27 model.

Also, the fact that the 2012 iMac is even more difficult to open and swap the hdd makes me wonder.

The reviews I read say the performance of the hard drive is the weakest link on the iMac and that it hurts the user experience.

What I am wondering is how bad the hdd really is in a real world usage scenario.
For general web browsing, iWork, iPhoto, iTunes media library management, does the hdd really hurts the performance that much for the general user to notice?

I mean general user, because if you are a designer or photographer or video editor, you will probably be picking a high end 27 inch model anyway...

So, your thoughts and experience on this?

Cheers!
gdourado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:18 AM   #2
bugbear99
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
just pick the fusion option, u wont feel any different (for the 5400rpm)
bugbear99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
azentropy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdourado View Post
Hello,

So I have been reading some reviews of the 2012 21.5 iMac.
All the reviews say the screen is really good, the CPU has enough power and the build quality and design is great.
I know the base model does not have the best and fastest GPU and CPU out there, but I don't think they compromise the product.

What puts me off from reading the reviews is the hdd.
The 21.5 comes with a 5400 rpm drive as opposed to the 7200 rpm drive on the 27 model.

Also, the fact that the 2012 iMac is even more difficult to open and swap the hdd makes me wonder.

The reviews I read say the performance of the hard drive is the weakest link on the iMac and that it hurts the user experience.

What I am wondering is how bad the hdd really is in a real world usage scenario.
For general web browsing, iWork, iPhoto, iTunes media library management, does the hdd really hurts the performance that much for the general user to notice?

I mean general user, because if you are a designer or photographer or video editor, you will probably be picking a high end 27 inch model anyway...

So, your thoughts and experience on this?

Cheers!
On my 2012 2.9ghz i5 iMac I'm getting BlackMagic scores of right around 100MB/s Read and Write. On the 1TB 2011 2.8ghz i7 iMac I was getting scores around 130MB/s Read and Write.

As far as real world I don't really notice much of a difference probably because both seem slow at many things to me vs. my other macs (some much slower CPU's) that have SSD drives.

I'm really disappointed that Apple doesn't offer JUST a SSD option. To get a decent performing drive you need to go with a model with a Fusion drive which starts at $1749. Some people don't need a ton of storage and just want a fast and/or quiet drive option.
azentropy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbear99 View Post
just pick the fusion option, u wont feel any different (for the 5400rpm)
This. Or get a thunderbolt external. Personally I went for the 1TB Fusion drive.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
lali
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
It quite slow. Equal to my 2007 iMac with 7200rpm in terms of general responsiveness
Quite disappointing. I really really suggest you visit the Apple Store to play with it
Thanks
lali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lali View Post
It quite slow. Equal to my 2007 iMac with 7200rpm in terms of general responsiveness
Quite disappointing. I really really suggest you visit the Apple Store to play with it
Thanks
I agree
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP...my 2012 iMac WD hard drive slowing down bad! flavr iMac 3 Dec 8, 2013 01:42 AM
Bad Microphone 2012 iMac pizzapappa iMac 1 Jun 6, 2013 12:58 PM
2011 imac ssd with external HDD or 2012 with internal HDD and thunderbolt ssd Black Tiger iMac 2 Jan 26, 2013 11:17 AM
Late 2012 27" IMAC BAD Segate HD Shpenza iMac 2 Jan 1, 2013 05:18 PM
Is this real??? iMac 2012 specs Trojans iMac 4 Sep 11, 2012 04:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC