Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezl

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2002
this may have been covered before, but it made me so happy I had to share it.

After making an OS X box my main machine instead of FreeBSD I found iTunes inability to play ogg/vorbis to be a real pisser.. so I googled and came up with this.. works like a charm (though not useful for the iPod people)

http://illadvised.com/~jordy/

cocopelli

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2002
Spokane, Wa.
I know this is a little off topic but I remember hearing about orr/vorbis a couple of years ago and how it was supposed to be the latest greatest thing but then I didnt really hear much after that. Now the big thing seems to be MPEG4. My question is as of right now what is the best format in terms of quality and compression? is ogg/vorbis better than MP3? MP4? where can I find programs that can rip ogg/vorbis or MP4? Sorry for all the ?'s.

wheezl

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2002
Well part of the misunderstanding is that mp3 refers to MPEG Audio Layer 3 and is not the same as MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 (not sure what ever happened to 3). So.. you can have an mp3 audio track in an MPEG-1 2 or 4 defined stream. That being said ogg/vorbis is considered to be of a much higher quality than mp3 at many of the same bitrates such as 128kbs which is quite popular. There is only one public listening test I know of that was covered (perhaps even sponsored by) a German Magazine but I don't have the URL handy.

Now if only the iPod would become a player/recorder with ogg/vorbis support and support for high bitrate encoding I could use it for on location sound... then I would buy one :)

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
wheezl wrote:
After making an OS X box my main machine instead of FreeBSD I found iTunes inability to play ogg/vorbis to be a real pisser.. so I googled and came up with this.. works like a charm (though not useful for the iPod people)

ive tried this decoder for iTunes/quicktime and the playback was all but smooth! i think i was running 10.2.0 at the time [my powerbook is in for service right now] so i dont know if that had something to do with it. but the playback was barely even listenable, the audio was cutting in and out and skipping. let me know if any of you that use this have better luck, as ive ripped a lot of my cd's to OGG [my other system is a PC] and was somewhat dissapointed that id have to rip it all to mp3 again through iTunes [not that this is THAT much worse, just tedious and larger files].

cocopelli wrote:
I know this is a little off topic but I remember hearing about orr/vorbis a couple of years ago and how it was supposed to be the latest greatest thing but then I didnt really hear much after that. Now the big thing seems to be MPEG4. My question is as of right now what is the best format in terms of quality and compression? is ogg/vorbis better than MP3? MP4? where can I find programs that can rip ogg/vorbis or MP4? Sorry for all the ?'s.

well i got into OGG Vorbis because of the now resolved mp3 license scare. but i still use it because the quality IS infact higher and file sizes are smaller than an mp3 at the same average bitrate [much like mp4 i assume...?]. i still have mp3's from music ive downloaded, but i have a lot of CD's that i still rip to .ogg. some poeple wont want to go this route if they have a portable mp3 player, but it works for me cause i use a minidisc player and i dont necessarily need music in mp3 format to be able to use it with the MD. youll prbably be fine with mp3 but theyre just going to take up a lot more space when it all adds up, besides converting mp3's to ogg or even mp4 is pointless or obvious lossy-compression reasons. hope that helps.

wheezl

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2002
Well I have only used the plugin under 10.2.2 and it works great. It's a Beige G3 mini-tower with the sound being a Griffin iMic (apple does not support the AV Personality module in my machine (Grrrrr)).

It is quite possible that in the period of time between 10.2.0 and 10.2.2 that the author of the plugin updated the plugin itself.. i'm not sure, as I haven't checked the revision history.. I would suggest giving it another whirl.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
well it might just have something to do with the OS update also, and ill try it again once i get my powerbook back. ill post again at that time.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by wheezl
Well part of the misunderstanding is that mp3 refers to MPEG Audio Layer 3 and is not the same as MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 (not sure what ever happened to 3).

This isn't entirely accurate.

MP3 = MPEG 1 Layer 3.

arn

wheezl

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2002
I see what you mean, I was unclear. I just meant that Audio Layer 3 is certainly "not the same" as an entire standard. Just as a steering wheel is "not the same" as a car :)

anyway, since we have drifted far off of the topic I certainly recommend everyone check out that ogg/vorbis plugin for Quicktime :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.