Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hi,

I am sure that this will be the fist of many posts, as I am on the market for a new rmbp.

I want to apply my HE discount in the UK but my uni is closed for xmas, so I have had to go through the edu phone store.

I know that this issue has been widely covered with many good guides on this forum, but I need to clarify some concerns that have been raised by the rep that I spoke to.

The rep has told me that I should upgrade the std HE warranty to applecare, as I will receive:

• replacement battery. I can get a replacement battery any time in the 3 years
  • guarantee against screen faults such as ghosting or pixel issues
  • guarantee against speaker faults
  • prompt turn around. Apparently the std warranty has a repair turnaround of 1-3 weeks, but applecare will get it repaired in 1-3 days
  • A brand new replacement if anything happens to my rmbp.
  • Free collection and delivery for repair

Also, he said that I can not take a rmbp into an apple store if I have any issues, I will have to send it to an authorised technician.

Does this sound right?

Everything I have read on here states that the only differences between the two warranties is worldwide support; phone support extended to 3yrs; and free collect and return.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Dot

P.s. Happy New Year! :)

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
I'd wait until your uni re-opens and order it via campus network so you get the 3 years hardware warranty for free, save yourself £50 as there's no need to buy the applecare unless you want to pay £50 for extended phone support. All things you've listed will be covered under hardware warranty so whoever you spoke to was just trying to upsell on the applecare.

You will be able to take you rMBP into a store if any issues arise- an apple warranty is an apple warranty. It's not specific to store or mail in.

If you PM me the uni you go to, I can find the HE store link for your specific uni and semd it to you. That way you can order it from home

TheHareBear

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
You will be able to take you rMBP into a store if any issues arise- an apple warranty is an apple warranty. It's not specific to store or mail in.

If you PM me the uni you go to, I can find the HE store link for your specific uni and semd it to you. That way you can order it from home

Just to add to will0407's advice to you.

You'll probably find that the HE link works for you on the normal Internet once you receive it, certainly does for me (unless that is a Uni specific thing).

I can confirm that your HE AppleCare will be treated as normal in the store, I ended up getting my early-2011 17" MBP battery replaced in-store. The HE AppleCare it was being done under was never mentioned as being HE, just AppleCare when I was in the store. (I was given the option of it being picked up or taking it in myself when I first contacted Apple about it - the MBP would just randomly die when on battery power though the MBP did not ever complain about the battery even when I did the various tests available to an end-consumer.)

Get the AppleCare for a laptop, well worth it! My original 15" Core Duo MBP went through about 4 batteries and a charger.

Andy

Last edited:

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Just to add to will0407's advice to you.

You'll probably find that the HE link works for you on the normal Internet once you receive it, certainly does for me (unless that is a Uni specific thing).

I can confirm that your HE AppleCare will be treated as normal in the store, I ended up getting my early-2011 17" MBP battery replaced in-store. The HE AppleCare it was being done under was never mentioned as being HE, just AppleCare when I was in the store. (I was given the option of it being picked up or taking it in myself when I first contacted Apple about it - the MBP would just randomly die when on battery power though the MBP did not ever complain about the battery even when I did the various tests available to an end-consumer.)

Get the AppleCare for a laptop, well worth it! My original 15" Core Duo MBP went through about 4 batteries and a charger.

Andy

Not sure if we're saying the same thing or not so I'll try and spell mine out simply...

If you buy it through the online HE store link, you get 3 years Hardware warranty FOR FREE. You ONLY get this if you buy ONLINE. You DO NOT need to pay the additional £50 for applecare as all that gives you is the 3 years phone support as you already have the hardware warranty.

If you buy it over the phone or in store, the 3 years hardware warranty IS NOT included so you will need to pay the £50 extra.

Let me know if you need any more advice.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hi Will and Bear,

Thanks very much for your help.

I got the impression that the rep was trying to up sell. I asked him to email me some literature to back up his claims, but I am yet to receive anything.

Will, I can not find any way to PM you, either I'm being blind or MR might have a minimum post quota before you can pm?

Could you PM me or post it here or something? I go to London Metropolitan University.

Cheers,

Dot

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Just to clarify...

The rep said that the HE Hardware warranty is limited, but the applecare covers everything apart from accidental damage and theft. Was he outright lying when he said that the hardware warranty does not cover any issues with the display?

One other thing I have heard is that getting applecare adds resale value to the machine, is there any merit to this?

Thank you for your patience.

Dot

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Hi Dot

You should be fine calling as long as you go to the HE store and stress you want the HE discount and free 3 year warranty - it takes a few months to go through.

0800 072 1154 - open today until 8.

I never pay the extra 50 for telephone support as you pretty much get this anyway when diagnosing faults

Good luck

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hi Englishman,

Thanks for this. I was hoping to use the 3% Quidco cashback offer too.

Any ideas if the link that Will has will work with Quidco?

Regards,

Dot

P.s. I should be able to send and receive PMs in about two hours.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Hi Englishman,

Thanks for this. I was hoping to use the 3% Quidco cashback offer too.

Any ideas if the link that Will has will work with Quidco?

Regards,

Dot

P.s. I should be able to send and receive PMs in about two hours.

Quidco worked for me. Ill pm link when im in

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Quidco worked for me. Ill pm link when im in

Systematically, the HE warranty is the same as AppleCare plan, with 2 exceptions:

- No phone support
- No free postage (if you want to mail it to Apple for repair, you pay the postage)

Apple Stores can create HE repairs no problem.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Thank you bma,

It's a little disconcerting that upon first contact with apple, I have been unashamedly lied to in an attempt to extort more money from me. Isn't the £2K+ enough?

Should I expect this from apple when I am dealing with them in future?

Regards,

Dot

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Thank you bma,

It's a little disconcerting that upon first contact with apple, I have been unashamedly lied to in an attempt to extort more money from me. Isn't the £2K+ enough?

Should I expect this from apple when I am dealing with them in future?

Regards,

Dot

I wouldn't be too hard on the Apple employee - they will have loads of stuff to sell and they are probably looking at some sales spiel they have been given.

In practice all repairers look at is the date and they don't distinguish between HE/normal Applecare warranties.

If you live in London - in case of problems just take into a Genius bar and it will be repaired within a week. The service is first class.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I wouldn't be too hard on the Apple employee - they will have loads of stuff to sell and they are probably looking at some sales spiel they have been given.

In practice all repairers look at is the date and they don't distinguish between HE/normal Applecare warranties.

If you live in London - in case of problems just take into a Genius bar and it will be repaired within a week. The service is first class.

In store there physically is no difference. Batteries (if faulty) can also still be covered under the warranty.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks everyone,

All paid for now (minus applecare uplift). It has just struck me that this is the single biggest purchase of my adult life, apart from my education of course. I sincerely hope I like it.

Really grateful for your help and advice.

Speak soon and all the best in 2013.

Dot:)

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
This is a great forum for help. The official Apple forums can get censored and I prefer these.

Computers are an expensive tool and I look forward to the time when we can have one device for all things including phone calls and cameras. iPads are nearly there but lack multi-tasking, have small screens and can't make calls.

I don't know what HE course you are on but whether its design or whatever I am sure you're study will be the better for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.