Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Kinda weird, but my phone has allways been a little bit warm, and 2 days ago i did the close all running apps and hard reset (home and lock button hold down) and noticed that the heat was gone, also my battery time increased a lot. before i could get 5hr normal usage now its at 8 or something like that.

but this battery and heat "fix" is probably because the wireless network card in the phone arent working as it should, when i do speed test i get 5 mbit / s while i before the reset allways had 50-60mbit/s.. , same test on my macbook give 67 mbit/s on the wifi right now

anyway to fix the wifi speed without risking making the battery bad again?

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Kinda weird, but my phone has allways been a little bit warm, and 2 days ago i did the close all running apps and hard reset (home and lock button hold down) and noticed that the heat was gone, also my battery time increased a lot. before i could get 5hr normal usage now its at 8 or something like that.

but this battery and heat "fix" is probably because the wireless network card in the phone arent working as it should, when i do speed test i get 5 mbit / s while i before the reset allways had 50-60mbit/s.. , same test on my macbook give 67 mbit/s on the wifi right now

anyway to fix the wifi speed without risking making the battery bad again?

Reset network settings.

If that doesn't help, restore in iTunes and set up as new phone.

Then into an apple store.

srharris22

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
any change?

I am having issues with my iphone 5 via wifi as well. 1st) My iMac/iTunes doesn't always recognize it, sometimes actually disappears even though I see it on the list. 2nd) using speedtest on my wife's iphone 5 and mine, she is always faster when we are farther away from our router, like 3-7x faster for download/upload.
When I am on LTE, no problems what so ever. Anyway, trying to see what my options are at this point. Will probably do a full reset as a new phone tomorrow.
Stephen

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
With me, I'm getting on average 14mbps down on my iPhone, but ~40mbps on my iPad mini, and ~60mbps on my MacBook Pro. Can anyone explain this?

With my network settings, all of my devices should be getting what the iPad is at (my speed is supposed to be ~50mbps from Comcast).

I know that my speed isn't terrible, but I would expect that my iPhone should be faster than my iPad mini, since it has a better processor (A6 vs A5) and more ram.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Same problem here. A reset network settings fixes the problem for a good day or two (or just hours) and then it's back to slow wifi. At work I can't get any bandwidth throughput on that WiFi router - at home it's been better since the 6.0.2 update but at my parent's house I was noticing the same problems at work.

WiFi on the 5 is absolutely terrible. Oh well, that's what I get for getting the first generation of a new phone (had the 4s prior).

edit: At work, I'd reset network settings or change the DNS - then I'd get our full FIOS bandwidth down and up (50mbps down). But after a few hours or the next day it would be back to .1 mbps with huge timeouts.

Reverted to listening to Spotify on my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.