Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
JayJamesWaller
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to JayJamesWaller
Get iLife On My New (Previously Owned) MacBook?

Hey guys, I recently got a 2012 MacBook Pro from a friend for Christmas and erased the HDD to set the whole thing up as new. Only thing is that when I tried to install the iLife Apps off the Mac App Store it wouldn't allow me to do so. Any suggestions for how to get these as I don't want to have to pay for them really if I don't have to.
JayJamesWaller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2
James Craner
macrumors 68000

When you get a new Mac, you get a pop up message asking if you want to add these apps to your purchased apps via your Apple ID. Since these apps are tided to who ever purchased the Mac in the first place, you don't have access to them.

However I seen Apple give people codes to the Mac App Store for these Apps when they do a fresh install without first registering them to their account first. Not sure if they will do it for you as you are not the original owner, but it is worth a try.

Last edited by James Craner; Dec 29, 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: corrected for typo
James Craner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
scarred
macrumors 6502a

You can't. You have to buy them.

I tried and tried to get Apple to credit the buyer of my previous Mac, but they refused. For all the "apple support is the best" comments floating around, I've had the opposite experience.

I'm sure there are other "options" to fix this problem. Seeing as you probably spent a small fortune on your purchase, I know I wouldn't feel bad doing it. Apple should really smarten up on this one.
scarred is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store