Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
blairh
macrumors 68020

Base Mini w/Max RAM vs. Maxed Out Mini?

Hey guys.

So I've been using a Mac Mini for about 4 years now. It actually fulfilled my basic computing needs until I decided to get a Magic Trackpad and was forced to update to SL. Well my Mini has 1 GB of RAM and while it was sufficient for Leopard it has made SL a poor experience. I could of course go back to Leopard but I love my Magic Trackpad and am thinking about getting a new Mini and selling my current one (with Leopard reinstalled).

Okay, so I'm debating two options. One would be to get a base model 2012 Mini and max out the RAM on my own. Much cheaper and very easy to do. The other option is to get a 2012 Mini with an SSD via Apple. As you probably know this is pretty expensive and requires me to also get the higher end Mini. Total cost is $1,099 sans tax.

I know installing a 3rd party SSD would be cheaper but I question how much cheaper exactly. I've seen online tutorials and it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing on my own. So that means I'd have to purchase the SSD and then pay someone to install it for me. I'm guessing that would cost me at the very least something between $150-$200 all things considered. With that established I'd rather pay a little more and have the SSD preinstalled.

Now, the question becomes which model should I get. For now I tend to do the most basic stuff on my Mini (Word, Web, etc) so the base model Mini with max RAM would be more than enough. However my MBA has an SSD and I think I'd prefer my Mini to have one too. I'm also curious about potentially doing some video work in the future. (Not 100% but it's a possibility.)

Is the SSD really worth the pricey upgrade for my needs? Thanks.

(I don't care about the size of my HD. My music is stored and managed on my MBA and my videos and pics are on an external HD.)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
tejota1911
macrumors regular

I'd get the maxed out mini. You said you have used your old mini for 4 years. The maxed out mini will cost roughly $400 more than the base model with a RAM upgrade. That equates to about $100 a year for a much faster computer. Sounds worth it to me, but its your money. Longevity and resale will be better on the maxed out version as well.
tejota1911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Hey guys.

So I've been using a Mac Mini for about 4 years now. It actually fulfilled my basic computing needs until I decided to get a Magic Trackpad and was forced to update to SL. Well my Mini has 1 GB of RAM and while it was sufficient for Leopard it has made SL a poor experience. I could of course go back to Leopard but I love my Magic Trackpad and am thinking about getting a new Mini and selling my current one (with Leopard reinstalled).

Okay, so I'm debating two options. One would be to get a base model 2012 Mini and max out the RAM on my own. Much cheaper and very easy to do. The other option is to get a 2012 Mini with an SSD via Apple. As you probably know this is pretty expensive and requires me to also get the higher end Mini. Total cost is $1,099 sans tax.

I know installing a 3rd party SSD would be cheaper but I question how much cheaper exactly. I've seen online tutorials and it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing on my own. So that means I'd have to purchase the SSD and then pay someone to install it for me. I'm guessing that would cost me at the very least something between $150-$200 all things considered. With that established I'd rather pay a little more and have the SSD preinstalled.

Now, the question becomes which model should I get. For now I tend to do the most basic stuff on my Mini (Word, Web, etc) so the base model Mini with max RAM would be more than enough. However my MBA has an SSD and I think I'd prefer my Mini to have one too. I'm also curious about potentially doing some video work in the future. (Not 100% but it's a possibility.)

Is the SSD really worth the pricey upgrade for my needs? Thanks.

(I don't care about the size of my HD. My music is stored and managed on my MBA and my videos and pics are on an external HD.)
get the base mini add 16 gb ram.

below will sell the base mini for 564 no tax to all but NY

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html

they will give you free software. ram is at this company

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600M...ston+ddr3+1600

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Value...ston+ddr3+1600

down the road buy this for an ssd

http://www.amazon.com/9000291-Rugged...derbolt+rugged

cost is 564 plus 80 for ram 644. and decide about the ssd later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 1.23.05 PM.png
Views:	52
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	386577  

Last edited by philipma1957; Dec 29, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
blairh
macrumors 68020

I'm leaning towards the base model Mini now. I just don't think I need that SSD when it comes down to it. I'll max out the RAM purchased from Amazon. (I have Amazon credit to use.)

Any recommendations for 3rd party RAM available on Amazon?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5
dasx
macrumors 65816

Any compatible RAM will do. 204 pin SODIMM 1600MHz that is.

Also reconsider the SSD. The performance boost is much bigger than any other change you can do to a computer these days.

How cheaper to put it on your own? Well, it depends. I had a 12% off in Apple thank to my University, so I was just saving €16 doing it myself. Not worth it imo.

BUT. If you lean towards the base model then you can open it up and put an SSD in for much less as you won't have to pay the extra money to get into the mid line.

That being said, and considering what you said about using the Mini during 4 years… I'd seriously consider a maxed out Mini (but the RAM, install it yourself) as that's not a lot per month when looking at the big picture.
dasx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6
donlab
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I'm leaning towards the base model Mini now. I just don't think I need that SSD when it comes down to it. I'll max out the RAM purchased from Amazon. (I have Amazon credit to use.)

Any recommendations for 3rd party RAM available on Amazon?
Get the SSD. I would get the SSD over a ram upgrade. The difference is night and day. It will make your mac boot in 12 seconds and apps will hardly bounce in the doc before they're launched. SSD is very visible upgrade to your new mac mini user experience. Get the 8GB RAM upgrade at 1/2 the price on amazon for a bump.
donlab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Team Timm
macrumors regular

If you're used to the zippty effect of the SSD on the MBA, using the HD on the mini without the SSD will seem very sluggish and slow (I have a MBA and base mini w/o SSD but with 16gb of RAM, so I can understand).

I plan on putting an SSD in soon, but like you, don't really feel too comfortable tinkering on the inside of the mini. (Side note: installing third party RAM is SUPER easy)
Team Timm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Gav2k
macrumors 603

For what you do do you really need a new mini? Have you not thought about upgrading your current mini?
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:06 PM   #9
scottw324
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
get the base mini add 16 gb ram.

below will sell the base mini for 564 no tax to all but NY

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html

they will give you free software. ram is at this company

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600M...ston+ddr3+1600

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Value...ston+ddr3+1600

down the road buy this for an ssd

http://www.amazon.com/9000291-Rugged...derbolt+rugged

cost is 564 plus 80 for ram 644. and decide about the ssd later.
What is the difference between the first option for ram and the second option, other than one is a few dollars less?

Looking at buying a mini to replace my core duo 2.2 laptop (PC) which runs my media server/iTunes for the house for my three apple TVs and my iPads. I am hoping that the 2.6 quad core i7 with fusion drive is up to the task. Going to put 16 GB of ram in it.
scottw324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:43 PM   #10
philipma1957
macrumors 603

if the photos are correct one has kingston chips and the other has elpidia.

I have used both and have not found any real world difference. Elpidia is a major chip maker and their chips are used in many ram brands.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:48 PM   #11
scottw324
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
if the photos are correct one has kingston chips and the other has elpidia.

I have used both and have not found any real world difference. Elpidia is a major chip maker and their chips are used in many ram brands.
Copy, so either one should be fine to go with. Which on is the Kingston one....$45?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:26 PM   #12
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw324 View Post
Copy, so either one should be fine to go with. Which on is the Kingston one....$45?
yes . but amazon does not always match the photo they show. they are really good for returns. just make a pdf of the photo and if they dont match return it.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
scottw324
macrumors 6502

Thank you. Already ordered it. Already got fed up with the laptop running slow so bought the mini. 2.6 quad core model with fusion drive. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:30 PM   #14
blairh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlab View Post
Get the SSD. I would get the SSD over a ram upgrade. The difference is night and day. It will make your mac boot in 12 seconds and apps will hardly bounce in the doc before they're launched. SSD is very visible upgrade to your new mac mini user experience. Get the 8GB RAM upgrade at 1/2 the price on amazon for a bump.
I don't care about boot times and a slight delay in starting up apps. The difference between a base model Mini and BTO SSD Mini is $500. I'm going to get the 2012 base model and manually max out the RAM if 4 GB isn't sufficient for my needs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
For what you do do you really need a new mini? Have you not thought about upgrading your current mini?
I doubt it's cost effective. Buying a new HD and having it installed is $ plus my Mini maxes out at 3 GB. Makes a lot more sense to buy a new Mini and sell my current one on Craigslist.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini