Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
blairh
macrumors 68020
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
Base Mini w/Max RAM vs. Maxed Out Mini?

Hey guys.

So I've been using a Mac Mini for about 4 years now. It actually fulfilled my basic computing needs until I decided to get a Magic Trackpad and was forced to update to SL. Well my Mini has 1 GB of RAM and while it was sufficient for Leopard it has made SL a poor experience. I could of course go back to Leopard but I love my Magic Trackpad and am thinking about getting a new Mini and selling my current one (with Leopard reinstalled).

Okay, so I'm debating two options. One would be to get a base model 2012 Mini and max out the RAM on my own. Much cheaper and very easy to do. The other option is to get a 2012 Mini with an SSD via Apple. As you probably know this is pretty expensive and requires me to also get the higher end Mini. Total cost is $1,099 sans tax.

I know installing a 3rd party SSD would be cheaper but I question how much cheaper exactly. I've seen online tutorials and it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing on my own. So that means I'd have to purchase the SSD and then pay someone to install it for me. I'm guessing that would cost me at the very least something between $150-$200 all things considered. With that established I'd rather pay a little more and have the SSD preinstalled.

Now, the question becomes which model should I get. For now I tend to do the most basic stuff on my Mini (Word, Web, etc) so the base model Mini with max RAM would be more than enough. However my MBA has an SSD and I think I'd prefer my Mini to have one too. I'm also curious about potentially doing some video work in the future. (Not 100% but it's a possibility.)

Is the SSD really worth the pricey upgrade for my needs? Thanks.

(I don't care about the size of my HD. My music is stored and managed on my MBA and my videos and pics are on an external HD.)
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. iPhone 6 Plus.
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
tejota1911
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I'd get the maxed out mini. You said you have used your old mini for 4 years. The maxed out mini will cost roughly $400 more than the base model with a RAM upgrade. That equates to about $100 a year for a much faster computer. Sounds worth it to me, but its your money. Longevity and resale will be better on the maxed out version as well.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini | 2.3Ghz QC i7 | 16GB RAM | 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 1TB HDD | HP ZR2440w
2012 Mac Pro | 3.2Ghz QC Xeon | 16GB RAM | 3x1TB HDD | Dell U2412M
iPad 4 | iPhone 5 | 2TB TC | AE | ATV
tejota1911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Hey guys.

So I've been using a Mac Mini for about 4 years now. It actually fulfilled my basic computing needs until I decided to get a Magic Trackpad and was forced to update to SL. Well my Mini has 1 GB of RAM and while it was sufficient for Leopard it has made SL a poor experience. I could of course go back to Leopard but I love my Magic Trackpad and am thinking about getting a new Mini and selling my current one (with Leopard reinstalled).

Okay, so I'm debating two options. One would be to get a base model 2012 Mini and max out the RAM on my own. Much cheaper and very easy to do. The other option is to get a 2012 Mini with an SSD via Apple. As you probably know this is pretty expensive and requires me to also get the higher end Mini. Total cost is $1,099 sans tax.

I know installing a 3rd party SSD would be cheaper but I question how much cheaper exactly. I've seen online tutorials and it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing on my own. So that means I'd have to purchase the SSD and then pay someone to install it for me. I'm guessing that would cost me at the very least something between $150-$200 all things considered. With that established I'd rather pay a little more and have the SSD preinstalled.

Now, the question becomes which model should I get. For now I tend to do the most basic stuff on my Mini (Word, Web, etc) so the base model Mini with max RAM would be more than enough. However my MBA has an SSD and I think I'd prefer my Mini to have one too. I'm also curious about potentially doing some video work in the future. (Not 100% but it's a possibility.)

Is the SSD really worth the pricey upgrade for my needs? Thanks.

(I don't care about the size of my HD. My music is stored and managed on my MBA and my videos and pics are on an external HD.)
get the base mini add 16 gb ram.

below will sell the base mini for 564 no tax to all but NY

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html



they will give you free software. ram is at this company

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600M...ston+ddr3+1600


http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Value...ston+ddr3+1600



down the road buy this for an ssd


http://www.amazon.com/9000291-Rugged...derbolt+rugged



cost is 564 plus 80 for ram 644. and decide about the ssd later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 1.23.05 PM.png
Views:	52
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	386577  

Last edited by philipma1957; Dec 29, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
blairh
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
I'm leaning towards the base model Mini now. I just don't think I need that SSD when it comes down to it. I'll max out the RAM purchased from Amazon. (I have Amazon credit to use.)

Any recommendations for 3rd party RAM available on Amazon?
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. iPhone 6 Plus.
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Any compatible RAM will do. 204 pin SODIMM 1600MHz that is.

Also reconsider the SSD. The performance boost is much bigger than any other change you can do to a computer these days.

How cheaper to put it on your own? Well, it depends. I had a 12% off in Apple thank to my University, so I was just saving €16 doing it myself. Not worth it imo.

BUT. If you lean towards the base model then you can open it up and put an SSD in for much less as you won't have to pay the extra money to get into the mid line.

That being said, and considering what you said about using the Mini during 4 years… I'd seriously consider a maxed out Mini (but the RAM, install it yourself) as that's not a lot per month when looking at the big picture.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6
donlab
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I'm leaning towards the base model Mini now. I just don't think I need that SSD when it comes down to it. I'll max out the RAM purchased from Amazon. (I have Amazon credit to use.)

Any recommendations for 3rd party RAM available on Amazon?
Get the SSD. I would get the SSD over a ram upgrade. The difference is night and day. It will make your mac boot in 12 seconds and apps will hardly bounce in the doc before they're launched. SSD is very visible upgrade to your new mac mini user experience. Get the 8GB RAM upgrade at 1/2 the price on amazon for a bump.
donlab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Team Timm
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: FL
If you're used to the zippty effect of the SSD on the MBA, using the HD on the mini without the SSD will seem very sluggish and slow (I have a MBA and base mini w/o SSD but with 16gb of RAM, so I can understand).

I plan on putting an SSD in soon, but like you, don't really feel too comfortable tinkering on the inside of the mini. (Side note: installing third party RAM is SUPER easy)
Team Timm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Gav2k
macrumors 603
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
For what you do do you really need a new mini? Have you not thought about upgrading your current mini?
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:06 PM   #9
scottw324
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
get the base mini add 16 gb ram.

below will sell the base mini for 564 no tax to all but NY

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html



they will give you free software. ram is at this company

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600M...ston+ddr3+1600


http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Value...ston+ddr3+1600



down the road buy this for an ssd


http://www.amazon.com/9000291-Rugged...derbolt+rugged



cost is 564 plus 80 for ram 644. and decide about the ssd later.
What is the difference between the first option for ram and the second option, other than one is a few dollars less?

Looking at buying a mini to replace my core duo 2.2 laptop (PC) which runs my media server/iTunes for the house for my three apple TVs and my iPads. I am hoping that the 2.6 quad core i7 with fusion drive is up to the task. Going to put 16 GB of ram in it.
scottw324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:43 PM   #10
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
if the photos are correct one has kingston chips and the other has elpidia.

I have used both and have not found any real world difference. Elpidia is a major chip maker and their chips are used in many ram brands.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:48 PM   #11
scottw324
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
if the photos are correct one has kingston chips and the other has elpidia.

I have used both and have not found any real world difference. Elpidia is a major chip maker and their chips are used in many ram brands.
Copy, so either one should be fine to go with. Which on is the Kingston one....$45?
scottw324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:26 PM   #12
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw324 View Post
Copy, so either one should be fine to go with. Which on is the Kingston one....$45?
yes . but amazon does not always match the photo they show. they are really good for returns. just make a pdf of the photo and if they dont match return it.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
scottw324
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Thank you. Already ordered it. Already got fed up with the laptop running slow so bought the mini. 2.6 quad core model with fusion drive. Can't wait for it to arrive.
scottw324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:30 PM   #14
blairh
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlab View Post
Get the SSD. I would get the SSD over a ram upgrade. The difference is night and day. It will make your mac boot in 12 seconds and apps will hardly bounce in the doc before they're launched. SSD is very visible upgrade to your new mac mini user experience. Get the 8GB RAM upgrade at 1/2 the price on amazon for a bump.
I don't care about boot times and a slight delay in starting up apps. The difference between a base model Mini and BTO SSD Mini is $500. I'm going to get the 2012 base model and manually max out the RAM if 4 GB isn't sufficient for my needs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
For what you do do you really need a new mini? Have you not thought about upgrading your current mini?
I doubt it's cost effective. Buying a new HD and having it installed is $ plus my Mini maxes out at 3 GB. Makes a lot more sense to buy a new Mini and sell my current one on Craigslist.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. iPhone 6 Plus.
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maxed-Out iMac vs Maxed-Out Mac Mini dukee101 Buying Tips and Advice 41 Sep 23, 2013 04:36 PM
New base Mini vs Latest Dedicated-GPU-powered Mini - which one to buy saotomefirst Buying Tips and Advice 5 Oct 25, 2012 01:56 PM
A 2011 base mac mini with 16gb of ram would be as fast as the upcoming 2012 mini? Che Castro Mac mini 16 Sep 17, 2012 08:02 PM
Mac Mini ROM upgrade to increase max ram joshandstacy Mac mini 2 Jul 17, 2012 11:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC