Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
awdsmama
macrumors newbie

Son just got iPod touch, I have old nano, confused

I have an old nano that I have my apple ID on, and I have my iTunes on my laptop.

I just gave my 8yr old son a 4thgen touch for Christmas.

I have a few songs on mine he would like on his, but for the majority of my songs he will not be having them.

So what is the best way to set him up, do I create his own Apple ID and control it for him?

And what about using two devices on iTunes on my laptop - how does that work?

Sorry I've never had 2 devices before so I know these sound like very silly questions :-)
awdsmama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsmama View Post
I have an old nano that I have my apple ID on, and I have my iTunes on my laptop.

I have a few songs on mine he would like on his, but for the majority of my songs he will not be having them.

So what is the best way to set him up, do I create his own Apple ID and control it for him?

Sorry I've never had 2 devices before so I know these sound like very silly questions :-)
What you should do is use your apple ID, and use the "manually checked songs" in itunes. This link explains it pretty well - http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/ss/s...me_songs_2.htm
Also, you may wish to restrict his ability to purchase things on the App store by not giving him your itunes password - if he wants an app, free or paid, you'll put in your password.
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
What you should do is use your apple ID, and use the "manually checked songs" in itunes. This link explains it pretty well - http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/ss/s...me_songs_2.htm
Also, you may wish to restrict his ability to purchase things on the App store by not giving him your itunes password - if he wants an app, free or paid, you'll put in your password.
I find it easier to create a separate playlist for each device, rather than checking and unchecking songs. See:
http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/ss/s...me_songs_3.htm

I like separate playlists because it's easier to see at a glance which songs are synced to which device. Also, if you eventually get more than two devices, it's the only way to manage all devices separately.

As for restricting purchases, check out the parental controls in Settings. There are all kinds of restrictions you can set.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:50 PM   #4
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsmama View Post

iTunes can sync and remember the settings for an unlimited amount of devices, when you connect his iPod just select the songs playlists or artists you want him to have, then sync! I have 12 iPods and 1 iPad syncing with my MacBook Pro their is no problem and I have a different setting on each one.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch