Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flifish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I have one of the maxed out iMacs with 3TB fusion drive. For the last two mornings it hasn't booted up. Yesterday it had to be booted up in safe mode to start and this morning I simply restarted it and the second time it worked. It goes to either a plain white screen or it shows a circle with a line through it with the continuous "waiting to load" circle. I have bose speakers connected (turned off), an ethernet cable and my apple phone charger plugged into it. Don't know why this would make a difference but maybe so...
Anyone else having a problem?

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
I have one of the maxed out iMacs with 3TB fusion drive. For the last two mornings it hasn't booted up. Yesterday it had to be booted up in safe mode to start and this morning I simply restarted it and the second time it worked. It goes to either a plain white screen or it shows a circle with a line through it with the continuous "waiting to load" circle. I have bose speakers connected (turned off), an ethernet cable and my apple phone charger plugged into it. Don't know why this would make a difference but maybe so...
Anyone else having a problem?

Have u called apple because that sounds like a HDD failure waiting to happen...

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Is there any difference in behavior when the speakers, ethernet, and phone charger are disconnected?

flifish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Is there any difference in behavior when the speakers, ethernet, and phone charger are disconnected?

I called AppleCare yesterday, which is the reason I added the information about peripherals, because they had me unplug them before restarting the iMac in safe mode. Tonight I will try to remember to unplug everything then when I awaken the monster in the morning we will see if it rises to the morning's boot up task!

Apple care had me boot up in safe mode then do a normal boot up and it started fine without everything plugged in. So i replugged everything and this morning it didn't boot up the first time.

----------

Have u called apple because that sounds like a HDD failure waiting to happen...

Yes, i called applecare yesterday.

flifish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The End - bad Mac/ Apple Care has been very good.

After two months with apple care diagnosis, the waiting is over. We did capture data tests, checked peripherals, partitioned hard drive, and numerous other things to avoid sending the iMac in for repair. Apple Care was patient and so was I because that allowed me not to drive 100s of miles to the nearest apple repair place. The new iMac arrived today. They aren't sure what went wrong with this one. Originally it would boot up to a prohibitory sign (circle with a line through it), often. Now all kinds of goofy little things happen like no clicking response or freezing screens, etc... Most of the time it works fine but that 20% when it doesn't is a pain in the butt. They suspect a bad hard drive.

I still love the machine and hope the new one is a keeper.

schrobro08

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
After two months with apple care diagnosis, the waiting is over. We did capture data tests, checked peripherals, partitioned hard drive, and numerous other things to avoid sending the iMac in for repair. Apple Care was patient and so was I because that allowed me not to drive 100s of miles to the nearest apple repair place. The new iMac arrived today. They aren't sure what went wrong with this one. Originally it would boot up to a prohibitory sign (circle with a line through it), often. Now all kinds of goofy little things happen like no clicking response or freezing screens, etc... Most of the time it works fine but that 20% when it doesn't is a pain in the butt. They suspect a bad hard drive.

I still love the machine and hope the new one is a keeper.

Ah man. I believe i'm just at the start of your cycle. My 27 inch 1 TB fusion 680gtx Imac is doing the exact same things. Only 15 days old too. Tried all the support tips and it is still freezing, not turning on, not waking up from sleep, and now it won't even get to the start up menu. Soooo frustrating. I'm taking it in tomorrow. I'm afraid i'm in for a long wait til i finally get a working Imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.