Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
jf1450
macrumors member

iPhone 5 can't change email alert sound

Longtime iPhone user here. Got my wife a 5 for Christmas. She wants to change the email alert but no matter what we do it won't change. That is the only issue we have. I have a 4s and tried it (Sounds > Email) and it worked like a champ. We do the same thing on hers and it won't change. When she first set it up instead of setting up as new she did a restore from backup (she had a 4). Could that be the cause and should we do a 'restore as new'? She'd rather not go through that but I can't think of anything else. Other than this glitch it looks and works excellent.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Edit: She also tried changing her ringtone. Both it and email seem to be stuck on "Marimba". We already tried a reset and also turned off and back on - no dice.

-jeff

Last edited by jf1450; Dec 29, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
jf1450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Have you tried resynching with iTunes? I've had a similar issue. Checking in iTunes revealed that while the tones said they were there they actually were greyed out. I had to unsynch tones, then resynch. iTunes copied them back over and after that all was fine again.

I'm not sure that iCloud backs up custom ringtones, although the database on the phone may indicate that they are supposed to be there.
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
jf1450
macrumors member

No, these are the tones built in to the phone, not add ons.

Jeff
jf1450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:54 PM   #4
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1450 View Post
No, these are the tones built in to the phone, not add ons.

Jeff
Sorry, I don't have any idea what would be wrong then.
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Imac Sam
macrumors regular

There are two places to set the email tone. One in "sound settings" which you already know of, and the second place is under notifications>mail>the respective mail account settings. But this is also not without it's goofy issues. I have found there seems to be no reason why it plays from one place one time and another place the other time. So i just set both locations to my desired sound.
Imac Sam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Ggrengaraj
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. Thank you for your help!
Ggrengaraj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Fwebbjr
macrumors newbie

Damn.... I changed it there the first time. Got turned around. Thanks for your help
Fwebbjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting