Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymond lin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
How would you guys do the following:

1 - output the iMac to my TV via receiver
2 - play music externally through receiver

Would prefer digitally is possible, what cables do I need?

raymond lin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010

The iMac doesn't have HDMI socket, I guess I will need an adaptor lead.

And also, how do I play iTunes music with HDMI?

Or have sound coming out of the external HiFi receiver when watching the news online?

I would like as few cables or adaptors as possible. I would use airplay to play music from iTunes as the amp has AirPlay but I can't use airplay when I am watching something on Lovefilm or Netflix or the news.

Limecraft

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
Toslink

You could use Toslink optical cables from the iMac with a 3.5mm headphone jack adapter, because the port is both analog and optical. You would then only output sound, so you could additionally use HDMI for video.

Damian83

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
The iMac doesn't have HDMI socket, I guess I will need an adaptor lead.

And also, how do I play iTunes music with HDMI?

Or have sound coming out of the external HiFi receiver when watching the news online?

I would like as few cables or adaptors as possible. I would use airplay to play music from iTunes as the amp has AirPlay but I can't use airplay when I am watching something on Lovefilm or Netflix or the news.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Mini-Display...ers&hash=item2ec3f78ad7&_uhb=1#ht_2533wt_1189

raymond lin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
You could use Toslink optical cables from the iMac with a 3.5mm headphone jack adapter, because the port is both analog and optical. You would then only output sound, so you could additionally use HDMI for video.

Looks like I will need 2 leads coming out of the machine. So much for all the wireless stuff lol

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Looks like I will need 2 leads coming out of the machine. So much for all the wireless stuff lol

In your original post you asked which cables to use:confused: isn't that the opposite of wireless?

Apple TV support:
Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

raymond lin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
In your original post you asked which cables to use:confused: isn't that the opposite of wireless?

Apple TV support:
Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Lol noooo, I mean for all of Apple's philosophy of going wireless I still end up with cables everywhere. Unavoidable.

----------

As said, Apple tv will sort all of your problems out.;)

I have one, plus my amp does AirPlay, and I have apple express too but watching the news online, or YouTube, it doesn't output to Apple TV purely sound only.

Basically want sound coming out of the receiver all the time, even little beep and clicks.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Lol noooo, I mean for all of Apple's philosophy of going wireless I still end up with cables everywhere. Unavoidable.

----------

I have one, plus my amp does AirPlay, and I have apple express too but watching the news online, or YouTube, it doesn't output to Apple TV purely sound only.

Basically want sound coming out of the receiver all the time, even little beep and clicks.

You may want to check out Airfoil, this will let you play any and all of your iMacs audio out to Airplay. I use it for Sirius Sat radio and sometimes youtube videos over my AV Receiver.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
How would you guys do the following:

1 - output the iMac to my TV via receiver
2 - play music externally through receiver

Would prefer digitally is possible, what cables do I need?

If you just want 5.1 digital sound out, you just need an optical cable attached to the headphone jack ( which is both analog and digital optical. )

I'm not sure Airfoil or any other app can send 5.1 sound wirelessly.

Are you trying to do this for movies or music?

raymond lin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
If you just want 5.1 digital sound out, you just need an optical cable attached to the headphone jack ( which is both analog and digital optical. )

I'm not sure Airfoil or any other app can send 5.1 sound wirelessly.

Are you trying to do this for movies or music?

Everything.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Everything.

Most of the work will be done by the receiver then.

Most receivers can turn any 2 channel audio into pseudo 5.1 surround. Is that what you are looking for? If so, it doesn't matter if it is analog or digital, wired or wireless.

If you want "true" 5.1 audio, you have to have a file that contains real 5.1 audio, which usually means a video file with Dolby Digital or DTS audio. With the exception of some Audio-DVDs.

If you want the pseudo 5.1 from 2 channel audio (which still sounds good), your receiver should do it fine.

raymond lin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Most of the work will be done by the receiver then.

Most receivers can turn any 2 channel audio into pseudo 5.1 surround. Is that what you are looking for? If so, it doesn't matter if it is analog or digital, wired or wireless.

If you want "true" 5.1 audio, you have to have a file that contains real 5.1 audio, which usually means a video file with Dolby Digital or DTS audio. With the exception of some Audio-DVDs.

If you want the pseudo 5.1 from 2 channel audio (which still sounds good), your receiver should do it fine.

Thank, I don't need pseudo 5.1 but if I am playing 5.1 material I like it to be 5.1. So if I am playing YouTube, 2.0 is fine.

I also don't want delay or lag in the sound which I find airplay tends to do.

Dan415

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
San Francisco, CA
You could get a receiver that has AirPlay built in. I have a pioneer receiver with it and it works great for wirelessly streaming music from my computer, iPad or iPhone to my 7.1 system. An Apple TV will also work the same way and additionally will let you stream video.

raymond lin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
It does, but airplay only works when you send it through airplay. I can't for example send online news broadcast through it.

I have a pioneer with airplay built in FYI.

Damian83

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
It does, but airplay only works when you send it through airplay. I can't for example send online news broadcast through it.

I have a pioneer with airplay built in FYI.

as i wrote before, hdmi, if u want video+audio in 1, otherwise, toslink. i suggest u hdmi so u can use PLEX to transform ur mac into a mediaplayer to watch 1080p mkv's, throwing your blu-ray player in the toilet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.