Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
V

VogonPoet

Original poster
I just received my brand new 15" PowerBook (ordered it last Thursday). When I took it out of the packaging, I noticed that there is a noticeable "gap" between the plastic trim on the front right of the laptop (just above SuperDrive slot) and the metal chassis. (see attached photo). The left hand side does not have the same gap, i.e. the trim sits nice and flush with the bottom metal chassis of the PowerBook. When I press down on the right hand palm-rest the gap seems to get smaller (I can also see the SuperDrive assembly move down slightly..). This can't be normal?

Should I ask Apple for a replacement? This was a "built to order" PB, i.e. 100GB drive and 128MB VRAM, so can I simply take it to my local Apple Store or should I ship it back to Apple?

Also, I noticed that the PB's LCD display has 2-3 dead blue pixels in the upper right hand corner (in a small cluster). Will Apple replace/fix this as well?

Attachments

• gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 278

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
The gap is normal, the pixels are not. They SHOULD be able to replace that LCD screen for you. Just take it back to the store

V

VogonPoet

Original poster
g0gie said:
The gap is normal, the pixels are not. They SHOULD be able to replace that LCD screen for you. Just take it back to the store

So why exactly is there a gap there anyway? And why is it normal?

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Yea mine is slightly warped like yours. Nothing I did and no real fault to Apple, just the characteristics of the metal. Definitely have them replace it for the pixels though.

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2005
I think you should call apple ASAP and ask for a replacement. That picture doesn't look normal to me - mine is definitely not like that. When I got my powerbook a few months ago, the first one they shipped me had a small ding in the metal - I called them and they sent me a new one within a few days, no problem. It seems to me that when you pay several thousand bucks for something brand new, it should arrive without defect or you should get a new one, and based on my experience with Apple they agree with me.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you have an Apple Store or reseller nearby, You should take it in and have it checked. At least for peace of mind. The dead pixel issue is usually decided on a case by case basis. Good luck.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
VogonPoet said:
I just received my brand new 15" PowerBook (ordered it last Thursday). When I took it out of the packaging, I noticed that there is a noticeable "gap" between the plastic trim on the front right of the laptop (just above SuperDrive slot) and the metal chassis. (see attached photo). The left hand side does not have the same gap, i.e. the trim sits nice and flush with the bottom metal chassis of the PowerBook. When I press down on the right hand palm-rest the gap seems to get smaller (I can also see the SuperDrive assembly move down slightly..). This can't be normal?

Should I ask Apple for a replacement? This was a "built to order" PB, i.e. 100GB drive and 128MB VRAM, so can I simply take it to my local Apple Store or should I ship it back to Apple?

Also, I noticed that the PB's LCD display has 2-3 dead blue pixels in the upper right hand corner (in a small cluster). Will Apple replace/fix this as well?

They had to take the case apart to BTO, I imagine, and they didn't allign the case up right. on the older tibook pbs, this would actually put the cd drive out of allignment.

V

VogonPoet

Original poster
California said:
They had to take the case apart to BTO, I imagine, and they didn't allign the case up right. on the older tibook pbs, this would actually put the cd drive out of allignment.

Thats what I think happened as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.