Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
patchouli
macrumors member

Help? Re getting apple extreme to work as my previous router did

I have voip through Primus..
I have Rogers cable internet..
I used to have a really old DLink router, which we threw out the other day and replaced with a new Airport Extreme...
The old DLink router used to be hooked up to a DLink 'wired router' model EBR-2310, which basically acted as a hub to extend the wired connection up to my 2 boys' bedrooms for their xboxes..

Internet comes into our house and goes like this:

Rogers modem -> Primus VoIP LinkSys Phone Adapter with Router -> Airport Extreme -> DLink Wired Router Model EBR-2310

When I set up the AE, I set it up as a 'Bridge', because the Primus router came before the AE..

Voip phone works, my computer and husband's xbox directly wired to AE work, all the wireless connections work.. but.. the DLink Wired Router no longer brings internet connection to my boys' rooms..

Is there anything I can do to make it work? Do I need to change a setting in the AE to let it know that it is not only a bridge, but that it is also sharing an internet connect? (or something like that??)

Thanks for any help..
patchouli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Don't think this is the right part of the forum for this question - is there a networking section you could post in?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
patchouli
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
Don't think this is the right part of the forum for this question - is there a networking section you could post in?
omg, i'm sorry..
patchouli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Put the AE into the default "DHCP and NAT" mode, don't use the D-Link as a hub but instead buy a 5port 10/100 switch ~$20 and use that instead.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
hallux
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Put the AE into the default "DHCP and NAT" mode, don't use the D-Link as a hub but instead buy a 5port 10/100 switch ~$20 and use that instead.
I think this ^^ is the best advice, maybe spend another $10 and get a 10/100/1000 switch instead. Too many devices in that chain with the word "router" in them, only need one. If you use one as an actual router, turn off the DHCP functions of the downstream devices and don't utilize the WAN port, it's basically a switch then.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater