Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
DJ Racing
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini as a Server

I have a base model 2012 mini that I upgraded the ram to 16gb and added a samsung 840 ssd as a second drive. Its working very well. I bought osx server to do some file sharing and post some websites for my web development classes. Plus it was only $20. My concern is that I have my mini set to never sleep so that I can access my stuff whenever I need. Is it okay to have it set this way? I also use it as my home desktop. I was kicking around the idea of getting another mini and using one as a home server and the other as my desktop.

Thanks!
DJ Racing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

As the Mac mini is also sold as server, it is okay to run it 24/7 in a proper ventilated room.

Mac minis are even used like this:
simsaladimbamba is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3
DJ Racing
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. In my google searches I did come across that photo. Pretty amazing. I have noticed an issue with my setup and if anyone can help I would appreciate it: I tried letting my server sleep and noticed that I had no network connection on any other device as soon as the server went to sleep. I think it may be a DNS issue but Im not exactly sure. Ive been googling it to try and figure it out. When the server is running, everything works perfectly. But if I let it sleep then my ipad, mbp, apple tv and my dad's iMac cannot access the internet

Any help is appreciated
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Racing View Post
But if I let it sleep then my ipad, mbp, apple tv and my dad's iMac cannot access the internet

Any help is appreciated
It depends how this network is set up. If the internet connection is being shared using the mini as a proxy, you wouldn't be able to sleep it. If your router is handling wireless distribution for every computer on the network, that shouldn't be an issue. You won't be able to access storage that is physically connected to the mini if it is asleep.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
DJ Racing
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I believe Ive got it sorted out now. My other devices can access the internet if the mini is sleeping now. I cannot access screen sharing or file sharing on the mini if the mini is sleeping but I believe that's correct?

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:43 PM   #6
yegon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post

Mac minis are even used like this
Ooh, I love that photo
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Racing View Post
Thanks for the reply. I believe Ive got it sorted out now. My other devices can access the internet if the mini is sleeping now. I cannot access screen sharing or file sharing on the mini if the mini is sleeping but I believe that's correct?

Thanks
You wont be able to access anything on the Mini if its asleep
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:59 PM   #8
DJ Racing
macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I figured. Everything is working great now. I've decided to leave it set to never sleep. I access it a lot from my laptop when Im at school and work so I think that's the best solution.

Thanks to everyone for the help
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

If there are hours when you know you've not going to use it you could set the power options to turn it off and back on.
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:07 PM   #10
DJ Racing
macrumors newbie

That is a good point. However my school schedule is different everyday. So it's easier to simply leave it on. My new idea would be to simply get another mini. Use one as my home server and the other as my home desktop. I could backup the second mini, MacBook Pro and my dads iMac to the server mini. I would also like to use the server mini as a home server for my iTunes movies and music plus for a web and file server. I feel like it would be fun to set all of this up plus a good learning experience since my major is information systems. Anyone ever do this or have some input on my idea?

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
bkd0255
macrumors member

what are all the benifits of using it as a server vs just a normal computer thats on all the time?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:45 AM   #12
Fabricman112
macrumors regular

I have a Mini Server connected to WAN and LAN(wifi)...
enable Remote login, and ssh to external ip to wake up, now you can use remote desktop...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini