Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
craigblues
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
USB Apple SuperDrive For iMac 2012 Alternative

Evening All.

I am awaiting the arrival of my iMac 27" 2012 and want to get everything in place before it arrives; Ram upgrade and an external dvd drive.

I was going to buy the Apple Superdrive but then thought why not purchase a slightly cheaper one as its only 65 as its got the logo on it.

Anyone got any ideas if this will work?
http://www.ebuyer.com/409960-samsung...-se-208db-tsbs

As then I can use it for my home server too.

Thank you in advance.
craigblues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
wizzywig27
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
That's the exact one I got (but in white) - it only uses one USB cable.

Does the job well
wizzywig27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
raymond lin
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblues View Post
Evening All.

I am awaiting the arrival of my iMac 27" 2012 and want to get everything in place before it arrives; Ram upgrade and an external dvd drive.

I was going to buy the Apple Superdrive but then thought why not purchase a slightly cheaper one as its only 65 as its got the logo on it.

Anyone got any ideas if this will work?
http://www.ebuyer.com/409960-samsung...-se-208db-tsbs

As then I can use it for my home server too.

Thank you in advance.
It will work, but if you have another iMac with an optical drive then you can remote disc.
raymond lin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:32 PM   #4
JoninCO
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I went a slightly different route

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblues View Post
Evening All.

I am awaiting the arrival of my iMac 27" 2012 and want to get everything in place before it arrives; Ram upgrade and an external dvd drive.

I was going to buy the Apple Superdrive but then thought why not purchase a slightly cheaper one as its only 65 as its got the logo on it.

Anyone got any ideas if this will work?
http://www.ebuyer.com/409960-samsung...-se-208db-tsbs

As then I can use it for my home server too.

Thank you in advance.

I got the OWC Slim USB2 Portable Blu-Ray 6X + DVDRW-CDRW External Bus-Powered Solution $75.00
Sold by : Other World Computing http://eshop.macsales.com/

As you can tell it has pretty much what the Apple Super Drive has but also reads Blue Ray. I figured why not. Like you I have placed my order for an iMac 27" and am getting the other stuff for it (RAM, optical drive etc). I am having a hard time waiting for Apple to tell me when they are going to ship.
JoninCO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Pejsen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Denmark
I ended up replacing the superdrive in my old Macbook pro with an ekstra SSD, then put the macbook superdrive in a CD/DVD usb enclosure and voila.

I rarely use my drive so for my purpose that's all i need.
Pejsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:46 PM   #6
rweed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I got my 27" on 12/18. I just picked up an LG GP40 slim external DVD drive from Best Buy last night for $35. It has two USB connectors for power reasons, but you only need to use one on the iMac.

I've played DVD's and burned CD's, booted Live Linux, etc. Working good so far. $80 was a bit steep for the Apple unit. I think Best Buy has the Apple unit on-line for $70 right now.

Regards, Rick

Last edited by rweed; Dec 29, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
rweed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:54 PM   #7
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I got this Slim Samsung Optical drive its pretty sweet. So thin and kinna matches the black bezel of the iMac looks sexy by it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-208...sung+dvd+drive
At 29 bucks its a steal
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:15 PM   #8
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I got this Slim Samsung Optical drive its pretty sweet. So thin and kinna matches the black bezel of the iMac looks sexy by it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-208...sung+dvd+drive
At 29 bucks its a steal
i know what im getting now
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:16 PM   #9
wizzywig27
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I got this Slim Samsung Optical drive its pretty sweet. So thin and kinna matches the black bezel of the iMac looks sexy by it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-208...sung+dvd+drive
At 29 bucks its a steal
It's the same one
wizzywig27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:19 PM   #10
MathijsF
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I got this Slim Samsung Optical drive its pretty sweet. So thin and kinna matches the black bezel of the iMac looks sexy by it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-208...sung+dvd+drive
At 29 bucks its a steal

I already bought the same one in The Netherlands for about 25 euros. It looks really sexy and is USB-powered which is a huge plus for me. Unfortunately i haven't tested it yet on my iMac because that isn't shipped yet. The box however says it works perfectly with Mac so i don't really have doubts about it.


This one is definetly a win for me.
MathijsF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Latino4Me
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to Latino4Me
I got this one. The front aluminum coloring matches the iMac, though the body is white. It looks sharp though I wish it was black. It's fast and has Bluray support. Bestbuy is the only place I could find.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+16x...0dvd&cp=1&lp=9
Latino4Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:24 PM   #12
shenan1982
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino4Me View Post
I got this one. The front aluminum coloring matches the iMac, though the body is white. It looks sharp though I wish it was black. It's fast and has Bluray support. Bestbuy is the only place I could find.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+16x...0dvd&cp=1&lp=9
Nothing like putting USB 3.0 technology into a product not even fast enough to keep up with USB 2.0 hehe
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:58 PM   #13
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddesigner View Post
i know what im getting now
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzywig27 View Post
It's the same one
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathijsF View Post
I already bought the same one in The Netherlands for about 25 euros. It looks really sexy and is USB-powered which is a huge plus for me. Unfortunately i haven't tested it yet on my iMac because that isn't shipped yet. The box however says it works perfectly with Mac so i don't really have doubts about it.


This one is definetly a win for me.
I didn't realize it was the one the OP linked

No worries MathijsF it works perfectly. It's so sleek I have a black desk and honestly at times you can't even tell its there. I just got done last night with ripping tons of stuff I had on CD and off some Data DVRs that can finally go in the trash. I also burned some video and it handled everything I threw at it. My iMac is finally ready for Carbon Copy Cloner now that all is backed up.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:38 PM   #14
craigblues
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Well think I will try the above. :-) Found it in White and its cheaper, bingo!
craigblues is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternative to Apple USB Superdrive filmboy Mac Peripherals 9 Dec 15, 2013 12:14 PM
Cheaper alternative Superdrive lookalike for iMac strongs iMac 2 Dec 6, 2012 04:43 AM
Blu Ray alternative to Apple USB Superdrive? Hessel Mac Peripherals 0 Nov 27, 2012 07:50 AM
Cheap alternative to the usb superdrive? theRAMman Mac Peripherals 7 Sep 9, 2012 05:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC