Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Why are the iPhone 4s and 5 none jail-breakable, but the 3GS and 4 are, all of them running iOS6, what is the difference and what makes them unjail-breakable (at least for the moment)?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The difference is that either you updated to iOS 6, or you bought the phone with iOS6 already installed. My iPhone 4s is running just fine, on iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken.

BL.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Apple are getting better and better at eliminating exploits, though it does seem some progress is being made. iPhone 5 has apparently already been jailbroken, the jailbreak isn't quite ready for public use yet, though.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/21/iphone-5-jailbreak/

I suspect things will only get trickier with every new model and iOS version.

I'm a big jailbreak fan, and am not happy about this, either, at least not until Apple starts allowing apps with the same functionality to be published through their official store... might be just that reason I'm more open than I ever was to switching to Android, I dislike being smacked on the fingers for contemplating the use of something Apple has decided it doesn't like to see run on its phones. It's my device, let me do whatever the hell I want on it, and if that involves running some crazy linux derivative on it and running 50 different emulators, then so be it.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
My point is why iOS 6 can be jail-broken on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 and cannot be jail-broken on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I dont understand why Apple fights so hard to stop jailbreakers. I mean, some of the best ideas have come from the JB community (which Apple has ended up using in iOS releases).

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I dont understand why Apple fights so hard to stop jailbreakers. I mean, some of the best ideas have come from the JB community (which Apple has ended up using in iOS releases).

I think that's precisely because Apple feel like every good new idea should become incorporated into their own OS and improved on by them, as opposed to being a stand-alone feature which merely augments what is already there. They have a swallow and assimilate approach, while Google can stand a lot of features being independent to their OS, as long as they're compatible. Different philosophy, and I believe it's gotten to a stage now where Apple's way is starting to hamper rather than advance user experience.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My point is why iOS 6 can be jail-broken on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 and cannot be jail-broken on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

The 3GS and iphone 4 have a bootrom exploit that gives them tethered JB's for life. That's a hardware exploit that cannot be patched with firmware updates by Apple.
For the 4S and i5 currently such hole hasnt been discovered yet or there might not be one ever available on those.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Apple wished to eliminate jailbreaking, by adding the popular features themselves. i.e. IOS 7, IOS 8...etc. IOS 6.1 makes jailbreaking even harder. By the time the iPhone 5 is jailbroken, Apple will have announced the iPhone 6. Maybe Apple will allow themes, widgets, improved multitasking...etc in IOS 7 further pushing jailbreaking to the point of why jailbreak.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

You have to realize that these exploits are holes in security that could be used by less than well-meaning people. While highly unlikely anyone could get a virus from it, there is still that posibility.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Apple sees jail breaks as security holes and will plug these holes both reactively and proactively. Its just that simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.