Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patchouli

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Ontario Canada
I have voip through Primus..
I have Rogers cable internet..
I used to have a really old DLink router, which we threw out the other day and replaced with a new Airport Extreme...
The old DLink router used to be hooked up to a DLink 'wired router' model EBR-2310, which basically acted as a hub to extend the wired connection up to my 2 boys' bedrooms for their xboxes..

Internet comes into our house and goes like this:

Rogers modem -> Primus VoIP LinkSys Phone Adapter with Router -> Airport Extreme -> DLink Wired Router Model EBR-2310

When I set up the AE, I set it up as a 'Bridge', because the Primus router came before the AE..

Voip phone works, my computer and husband's xbox directly wired to AE work, all the wireless connections work.. but.. the DLink Wired Router no longer brings internet connection to my boys' rooms..

Is there anything I can do to make it work? Do I need to change a setting in the AE to let it know that it is not only a bridge, but that it is also sharing an internet connect? (or something like that??)

Thanks for any help..

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Put the AE into the default "DHCP and NAT" mode, don't use the D-Link as a hub but instead buy a 5port 10/100 switch ~$10 and use that instead.

patchouli

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Ontario Canada
Put the AE into the default "DHCP and NAT" mode, don't use the D-Link as a hub but instead buy a 5port 10/100 switch ~$10 and use that instead.

I think when I was first setting up the AE, it was in DHCP and NAT mode, but a message came up saying I wasn't configured for that, and I needed to choose between 2 other choices.. so I didn't know what to do, so I picked the 'bridge' choice.. and everything was good, until the boys tried to connect to their xboxes (which are wired, not wireless).

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Hmm, it's a poor router. See if you can connect it to the LAN side of the AE.
http://forum.voxilla.com/threads/ho...-my-linksys-router-i-cant-make-it-work.11746/

My LinkSys VOiP adapter is on the LAN side, works just the same.
SPA2102_installation_router.jpg

patchouli

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Ontario Canada
Thank you for trying to help me.

The little Linksys voip box is from Primus and we don't have a choice about its quality. Primus doesn't offer any kind of support for any equipment other than what they send us, and I'm not sure that is what the problem is, since this setup worked prior to getting the AE. We tried hooking the voip box AFTER the Airport router (as in your diagram), but then nothing worked (ie the phone, my computer which is directly wired, etc. It appears that the voip box really does need to go first in line after the cable modem, and then from the voip box, it goes to the AE, like this:

Cable internet -> crappy voip box -> AE -
after the AE, we have wires going to i)my desktop computer ii)an xbox and iii)another crappy DLink router which acts as an extender to allow wired internet connections going to a further part of the house - and from that DLink, there are 2 more wired connections travelling upstairs.

It seems that my problem turns out to be NOT whether there can be another router attached to the AE to extend cabled internet to a further location, but rather, my problem is how to set up wireless security AND have everything still work.

This was evidenced when I pressed the reset button on the AE, and suddenly, everything was working, all on its own.... except that now there is no security at all, (ie no password on our wireless (which isn't a good thing)).

I downloaded the manual for setting up a network on the AE from the Apple site, and I'll try to set the AE up again. At least I know that if I screw things up, I can just press the reset button on the AE to get back to where I am now. The AE is beautiful in that it works all on its own - too bad it can't also do the setup for me, as I have no clue about WEP and WAP and NAT and alllllllllll of those other things :eek:

If you happen to have any recommendations on how to set up a wireless network when it has that voipbox on the front end and the DLink hub on the back end, let me know! Thanks again for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.