Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
thewall
macrumors member

iTunes a rip off

Today i brought 4 cd's for 20 (2 stones 2 led zep) from HMV,full lp's with plastic case and a booklet,iTunes want 7.99 each no plastic case and no booklet,when i got home i put the cd's onto my ipod and then put the disc's on the shelf for everybody to look at and read,haven't found away to do this with a download yet,i think people who rave about itunes it's a case of emperors new clothes.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
Today i brought 4 cd's for 20 (2 stones 2 led zep) from HMV,full lp's with plastic case and a booklet,iTunes want 7.99 each no plastic case and no booklet,when i got home i put the cd's onto my ipod and then put the disc's on the shelf for everybody to look at and read,haven't found away to do this with a download yet,i think people who rave about itunes it's a case of emperors new clothes.
Digital music stores are often more expensive than simply buying a physical CD in the store. That's true (especially if you're looking at lossless files). And you can get an even better deal if you buy used. You pay for the convenience I guess.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
iTunes Extras includes that sort of thing, though I personally don't care for having a physical CD. I haven't bought music from iTunes for some time, but it's useful when looking for music which might no longer be sold by stores. Same with Amazon MP3.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:50 PM   #4
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
You display your CD cases? The nineties called...

My plastic is in a box in the basement. The album art can be viewed on any number of screens in the house. The lyrics are similarly on any phone or iPad.
noisycats is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Julien
macrumors 68040

This is actually the fault of the studios. They set the base price. Also the same problem exists with movies, news papers, magazines, books and... It sure seems counterintuitive to pay more to reduce costs for the companies and waste for all of us but......
Julien is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkermit View Post
Digital music stores are often more expensive than simply buying a physical CD in the store. That's true (especially if you're looking at lossless files). And you can get an even better deal if you buy used. You pay for the convenience I guess.
I think the prices between online (both Amazon and iTunes are the ones I use) and physical content do balance overall - I just think you should compare prices and buy the best offer available. I for my person do find more special offers online...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
mattg3
macrumors 6502

No one seems to have mentioned sound quality.In some cases paying more for inferior digital download sound instead of a hard copy on cd.
mattg3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store