Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

"Find my iPhone" for other iCloud devices

I have an iPhone and iPad and iMac, daughter has an iPhone and iPad mini, son has an iPad mini.

We all share the same iTunes account for apps, but all have different iCloud accounts for backups, contact sync etc.

So my question is, I know there is a "find my iPhone" app, which shows my personal devices, but how do I track the other devices as well? If one of the kids lost/misplaced their iOS device how can I find theres using the app?

cheers
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a

you can create an icloud account just for Fidn my iPhone. Just make sure all other icloud accounts have find my iphone turned off, then add the same new account to all devices and voila.. you have find my iphone under one single account for all your family devices.

I have that set up. My mother's devices, my partner's and mine. We all have separate iCloud accounts for contacts+notes+mail+everything, we all have separate itunes accounts, but we all share the same icloud account for find my i.
jmmo20 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmo20 View Post
you can create an icloud account just for Fidn my iPhone. Just make sure all other icloud accounts have find my iphone turned off, then add the same new account to all devices and voila.. you have find my iphone under one single account for all your family devices.

I have that set up. My mother's devices, my partner's and mine. We all have separate iCloud accounts for contacts+notes+mail+everything, we all have separate itunes accounts, but we all share the same icloud account for find my i.
Ah I see, I didnt realise you could have multiple iCloud accounts, and then put the same one on a numerous amount of devices. So you can have me@icloud.com for "Find My iPhone" as well as another iCloud for backup/syncing etc.

What email do you use then? a new iCloud one as a generic name? or do you have to make a new Apple ID as well? I was thinking of getting a new iCloud with "our devices@icloud.com" or something for ease of use?

Also if we dont have a passcode lock on, if someone finds it, cant they just instantly turn off "find my iPhone" setting and then we're snookered anyway?

brilliant, will do that, what a great idea thanks a lot!

**another point, isnt it a daft name "Find My iPhone" when it now includes iPads, iMacs etc??

Last edited by MrMister111; Dec 29, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
MrMister111 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Ah I see, I didnt realise you could have multiple iCloud accounts, and then put the same one on a numerous amount of devices. So you can have me@icloud.com for "Find My iPhone" as well as another iCloud for backup/syncing etc.

What email do you use then? a new iCloud one as a generic name? or do you have to make a new Apple ID as well? I was thinking of getting a new iCloud with "our devices@icloud.com" or something for ease of use?

brilliant, will do that, what a great idea thanks a lot!

**another point, isnt it a daft name "Find My iPhone" when it now includes iPads, iMacs etc??

You can have as many icloud as you want (AFAIK), but you can't have the same service turned on twice.

Just make up any name really.. I have several, one is my initials plus a number and hte other is my full name.

and yes, it's silly they still call it find my iphone. Some people are calling it find my i nowadays.
jmmo20 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:48 PM   #5
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

Or just use Find My Friends app and add their own ids to track their respective devices
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:31 AM   #6
DefBref
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevRana View Post
Or just use Find My Friends app and add their own ids to track their respective devices
Yeah much easier than the multiple ids solution to try and use find my iPhone app. Find my friends is designed for the exact use case the op describes.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevRana View Post
This is exactly what I use for our family iDevices.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:46 PM   #8
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

Find My Friends may be useful as a simple location monitor but unless I'm mistaken, in order to take advantage of the ability to lock your device and/or wipe your data in the event of a theft, you need to be using Find My iPhone.
lelisa13p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:15 PM   #9
DefBref
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Find My Friends may be useful as a simple location monitor but unless I'm mistaken, in order to take advantage of the ability to lock your device and/or wipe your data in the event of a theft, you need to be using Find My iPhone.
Logging into icloud.com (not on a ios device) allows the same control as find my iphone app.

For simple tracking of multiple ios devices with different ids find my friends is good.

If somebody does lose the device then just logon onto icloud.com with their account (not from a ios device) and you can do all the things the find my iphone app allows.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:35 PM   #10
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
Logging into icloud.com (not on a ios device) allows the same control as find my iphone app.

For simple tracking of multiple ios devices with different ids find my friends is good.

If somebody does lose the device then just logon onto icloud.com with their account (not from a ios device) and you can do all the things the find my iphone app allows.
My point was that one shouldn't expect to replace Find My iPhone with Find My Friends. FMF is purely social while enabling FMiP will give you some protective features, from wherever you are able to access them.
lelisa13p is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:19 AM   #11
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a

Find my Friends doesn't work when the user is offline, or inside a building wiht no signal. i.e. it only shows you the correct location, and if there's none, it shows you nothing.

Find my iPhone shows you the last location registered, even if it's an old location.
jmmo20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:28 AM   #12
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmo20 View Post
Find my Friends doesn't work when the user is offline, or inside a building wiht no signal. i.e. it only shows you the correct location, and if there's none, it shows you nothing.

Find my iPhone shows you the last location registered, even if it's an old location.
Which could be yesterday at 10:00am and in another state.....
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:27 AM   #13
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

So it's got to be find my iPhone then. I've used a new iCloud ID and added it to all devices. This means from any device we can see all, is this not the best way?
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:43 AM   #14
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
So it's got to be find my iPhone then. I've used a new iCloud ID and added it to all devices. This means from any device we can see all, is this not the best way?
That's what I do, tracking six devices.

You can also install FMF just for fun. Your kids can locate their friends if they want. And you can locate your kids. (I mean nothing bad by this. )
lelisa13p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:14 PM   #15
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

Well, OP only mentioned what sounded like tracking a missing phone and i think FMF was enough for that instead of putting more redundant accounts on all the phones
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone