Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Ars0n
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Cool iPhone 5 Verizon unlimited plan - keep your plan and get the new iPhone 5 for $199

Good evening fellow apple heads. I've been lurking the boards for quite some time, particularly recently since I've been researching different loopholes to somehow upgrade to the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price and still keep my unlimited plan which is grandfathered in with Verizon. Well I figured it out so I figure what better time than now to submit my first forum post. Here's my situation and what I did:

Currently have an iPhone 4S with the Verizon unlimited data nationwide talk/text and I do not have an upgrade until September 2013. I don't use an insane amount of data but I still would like to hold onto my unlimited status and not give in to this share everything plan. I seriously contemplated buying the iPhone retail and eventually going month to month w no contract but I decided that I'd rather not come out of pocket if I don't have to and I'm not interested in any other network than Verizon.

I simply added a line and ordered the iPhone 5 for 199 and when the phone comes I will swap the phone onto my current line (unlimited data) And then I will activate an old dummy flip phone for an additional 9.99 per month. Now, ill have two different upgrades coming (one every year) and - if 4G LTE is really as fast as I expect then I may end up getting a jet pack (add. 20/mo) instead of the dummy phone and essentially have the 4g service take the place of my home Internet -- which would really take advantage of the unlimited plan. I guess that would be Verizon's worst nightmare haha.

Additionally, i will sell my like-new 4S for close to 300$ and end up making $100 on this deal. Anyway, I hope this helps at least one other person.
Ars0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
There is a long thread about using that loophole.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439872

I assume you had a family plan and that is how your were able to add a line. I had the indavivual plan so i am not able too add a line, had to pay full price.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Ars0n
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
There is a long thread about using that loophole.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439872

I assume you had a family plan and that is how your were able to add a line. I had the indavivual plan so i am not able too add a line, had to pay full price.
I noticed that long thread but the reason why I started this one is because I did not / do not have a family plan. It's an individual plan and I just added a line. I do have the corporate data plan though - maybe that was why?
Ars0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars0n View Post
I noticed that long thread but the reason why I started this one is because I did not / do not have a family plan. It's an individual plan and I just added a line. I do have the corporate data plan though - maybe that was why?
Maybe that is the difference, I was not able to add a line with just the standard individual line. It is weird my price per month changed slightly (cheaper) after I activated my new 5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	386663  
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Phoneinfo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I don't know why everyone is talking about keeping your unlimited data. You actually end up saving at least $20 a month by switching and getting 2gb. I got 4gb b/c I stream online quite a bit and I'm online all day and I've found that both my wife and I together don't add up to 1.5GB. Even if you switched and got 6GB...you still are probably saving $5 a month. People like saying they have unlimited...but look at how much you really use. You might be surprised, switch to the tiered plan and save yourself some $$.
Phoneinfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Ars0n
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneinfo View Post
I don't know why everyone is talking about keeping your unlimited data. You actually end up saving at least $20 a month by switching and getting 2gb. I got 4gb b/c I stream online quite a bit and I'm online all day and I've found that both my wife and I together don't add up to 1.5GB. Even if you switched and got 6GB...you still are probably saving $5 a month. People like saying they have unlimited...but look at how much you really use. You might be surprised, switch to the tiered plan and save yourself some $$.
When I did the math for the tiered plan I was not saving any money-- the $40 charge for smart phone and then $50 for 1gb alone is coming within 10 bucks of my current unlimited plan.
Ars0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:48 PM   #7
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneinfo View Post
I don't know why everyone is talking about keeping your unlimited data. You actually end up saving at least $20 a month by switching and getting 2gb. I got 4gb b/c I stream online quite a bit and I'm online all day and I've found that both my wife and I together don't add up to 1.5GB. Even if you switched and got 6GB...you still are probably saving $5 a month. People like saying they have unlimited...but look at how much you really use. You might be surprised, switch to the tiered plan and save yourself some $$.
So you pay less than $69 a month
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Phoneinfo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
No I don't pay less than $69 a month. I have the family plan. And I pay less now than when I had unlimited. And I have 4gb. You would rather ADD a line, pay $10 extra a month for that line to keep your unlimited? $10 is an extra 2gb of data. Unless you use 8gb a month...it's crazy to add lines and jump though all these hoops to say you have unlimited.
Phoneinfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:56 PM   #9
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneinfo View Post
No I don't pay less than $69 a month. I have the family plan. And I pay less now than when I had unlimited. And I have 4gb. You would rather ADD a line, pay $10 extra a month for that line to keep your unlimited? $10 is an extra 2gb of data. Unless you use 8gb a month...it's crazy to add lines and jump though all these hoops to say you have unlimited.
I did not add a line, but even if I did add a line and pay $10 extra a month I would still be paying less than the new shared plan with 2gb of data.

The new shared plans are only "cheaper" if you have more then 1 line. For a single line they are in no way cheaper.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Ars0n
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneinfo View Post
No I don't pay less than $69 a month. I have the family plan. And I pay less now than when I had unlimited. And I have 4gb. You would rather ADD a line, pay $10 extra a month for that line to keep your unlimited? $10 is an extra 2gb of data. Unless you use 8gb a month...it's crazy to add lines and jump though all these hoops to say you have unlimited.
That's not what I did though. I added the line to get the iPhone for 200 instead of 650 and I kept unlimited because I can always switch to tiered share plan but never will be able to go back to unlimited ever. So now I have an upgrade coming up every year instead of 2 and if I want to switch to a jet pack I can basically cancel my home Internet and use unlimited 4G as the slave provider. On top of that I made $100 selling my 4S. All in all I think that's worth 10 bucks a month

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I did not add a line, but even if I did add a line and pay $10 extra a month I would still be paying less than the new shared plan with 2gb of data.

The new shared plans are only "cheaper" if you have more then 1 line. For a single line they are in no way cheaper.
Exactly. Was $50 or so more expensive for me to go to shared data and actually even if I combined with my wife, the bill was cheaper by 20 bucks. Not worth it to me
Ars0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Phoneinfo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Ahh I see. I get that. I always see the blog postings about how they are trying to keep their unlimited data when you end up paying more in the long run by adding lines. However, I see what you did. You wanted to get the phone early for $199.
Phoneinfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Ars0n
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneinfo View Post
Ahh I see. I get that. I always see the blog postings about how they are trying to keep their unlimited data when you end up paying more in the long run by adding lines. However, I see what you did. You wanted to get the phone early for $199.
Exactly. Too Impatient to wait until sept of next year also I use the iphone hotspot for my wifi only iPad so I really want the 4G as the 3G is too slow
Ars0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:38 PM   #13
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneinfo View Post
I don't know why everyone is talking about keeping your unlimited data. You actually end up saving at least $20 a month by switching and getting 2gb. I got 4gb b/c I stream online quite a bit and I'm online all day and I've found that both my wife and I together don't add up to 1.5GB. Even if you switched and got 6GB...you still are probably saving $5 a month. People like saying they have unlimited...but look at how much you really use. You might be surprised, switch to the tiered plan and save yourself some $$.
well thanks verizon rep but I use WAY more than 2gb per month and anybody that actually want's to use their device the way it is meant to be used also does
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:43 PM   #14
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816
 
SLC Flyfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
well thanks verizon rep but I use WAY more than 2gb per month and anybody that actually want's to use their device the way it is meant to be used also does
I use my 5 whenever I want, wherever I want. I am on a shared plan with 7 iPhones (including mine) and we usually only use about 2 GB of data per month between the lot of us.

How exactly is the iPhone designed to be used? What might I be doing wrong?
__________________
Life is a grave, and I dig it
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:35 AM   #15
macher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars0n View Post
That's not what I did though. I added the line to get the iPhone for 200 instead of 650 and I kept unlimited because I can always switch to tiered share plan but never will be able to go back to unlimited ever. So now I have an upgrade coming up every year instead of 2 and if I want to switch to a jet pack I can basically cancel my home Internet and use unlimited 4G as the slave provider. On top of that I made $100 selling my 4S. All in all I think that's worth 10 bucks a month
With adding the line you also have to figure in the $9.99 for the additional line to add.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:26 AM   #16
evilrt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
With adding the line you also have to figure in the $9.99 for the additional line to add.
exactly. i dont understand why people are calling these switches loopholes as if verizon has no clue.
evilrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:55 AM   #17
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
With adding the line you also have to figure in the $9.99 for the additional line to add.
For a single person it is still cheaper then the new share everything plans.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:57 AM   #18
TheNakedMan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
I don't have a family plan....just an individual...guess there's no hope for me.
TheNakedMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:03 AM   #19
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNakedMan View Post
I don't have a family plan....just an individual...guess there's no hope for me.
I was in the same boat, I just payed full price for the phone. Just think of it as an extra $19 a month to keep the unlimited.

If you stay below 2GB a month then you might be better off going with the new shared plans, but I doubt it.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:22 AM   #20
TheNakedMan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
I roughly use 300 megs, at the highest I used 600 megs. On Wi-Fi I use 3-4 gbs...

I pay 68 dollars with my discount...so no reason to upgrade to what I've been told will be 82 a month.

I'm thinking of buying a 4S off craigslist for 200 bucks instead.
TheNakedMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:27 AM   #21
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNakedMan View Post
I roughly use 300 megs, at the highest I used 600 megs. On Wi-Fi I use 3-4 gbs...

I pay 68 dollars with my discount...so no reason to upgrade to what I've been told will be 82 a month.

I'm thinking of buying a 4S off craigslist for 200 bucks instead.
I thought you wanted the 5 (since that is what the thread is about), but if your happy with the 4s than that is a better route.

On the 5 with LTE being more than twice as fast as my home wifi and no wifi at my work, I will be pushing 3gb of data this month.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:29 AM   #22
TheNakedMan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
I currently have an iPhone 4. I want a 5...and trying to figure the best way to avoid paying 650...or at least helping the pain a little.
TheNakedMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:42 AM   #23
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNakedMan View Post
I currently have an iPhone 4. I want a 5...and trying to figure the best way to avoid paying 650...or at least helping the pain a little.
When is your contract up, with the small amount of data you use you can get a 300mb plan for $80 a month, or 1gb for $90 ( plus tax and fees).

If you have LTE in your area though I bet you use more data. Is there someone else you know that might have an upgrade you can use, it,is rare but some on her have used that route.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:51 AM   #24
TheNakedMan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
I think I'll just pay the $650. Makes the most sense, especially since I plan on doing a little travel overseas.

My contract is up March, 2013.
TheNakedMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:00 AM   #25
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNakedMan View Post
I think I'll just pay the $650. Makes the most sense, especially since I plan on doing a little travel overseas.

My contract is up March, 2013.
That is what I did, I bought the 32gb model so I paid $100 more plus I bought AppleCare +.

So far it is a great phone, activated it on Christmas day love the look, feel and the LTE.

I just hope that Verizon keeps the unlimited data plans going for at least 2 more years.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updating iPhone on Verizon and keeping unlimited data plan halfmonkey iPhone 5 Apr 2, 2014 09:38 PM
Upgrade to iPhone 5 & keeping unlimited Verizon plan with cowbellallen Buying Tips and Advice 4 Oct 21, 2012 03:07 PM
Verizon Iphone 5 - unlimited plan? stadtstudio iPhone 4 Oct 19, 2012 05:09 PM
Does AT&T recognize Verizon LTE iPhone? $10 family unlimited data plan? aneftp iPhone 12 Sep 27, 2012 07:18 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC