Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisblaze

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I recently took a job in Germany, I have an AT&T unlocked iPhone 5. Will I be able to use it with T-Mobile or O2? If so can I use LTE on these carriers? Same with the 4th Gen iPad, I'm thinking about getting on but I don't know of I need to get an AT&T or Verizon model, or would
it be better sell my phone and get one in Germany.. If I go that route, are the phones unlocked?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Should be fine as-it, unless Germany has a predominately CDMA network (I don't know).

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
AT&T iPhone 5 only works with North American LTE bands so you're out of luck with LTE in Germany with that phone as far as I know. You can use it on GSM and HSPA+ networks either by roaming (expensively) or getting the phone unlocked so you can put a local German SIM in it.

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked out of the box even on contract and supports CDMA, GSM, HSPA+, and possibly German LTE but not likely.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Verizon has more unlocked GSM bands than the AT&T phone. However, CDMA is locked on Verizon. Should not be a problem though, as you will be using GSM in Europe.

propalitet

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Everything will work fine anywhere in europe, just no LTE. But, depending where you are you might not need it at all. I'm getting ~17Mb/s on 3G. One thing that comes to my mind though is warranty, not sure if they will service it.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
For LTE in Europa on iPad you'll need the Verizon model.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

For LTE in Europe on iPhone, the Verizon model is more likely to work. The AT&T model will not support European LTE networks.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

chrisblaze

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I'd love to sell it and get another one, but the price of a 32gb phone is over $1k USD.

chrisblaze

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I'll probably get it... worse case.... I'll have to send it back to get refunded... I was hoping that someone has already tried this so I didn't have to be the guinea pig!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.